VPN Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are currently using a VPN when accessing the internet. At work we have comcast in which the system works great. When attempting to use the system at home (sbc, tech support was no help after 1.5 hours of trouble shooting) I can run the internet without the VPN successfully but as soon as I log into the VPN to work I receive "the page cannot be displayed". What can I do to get my home internet to work when logged in to the VPN?

Any suggestions would be great!!!

Internet access fails when using VPN connection

This is an issue AT THE OFFICE, not at home, as when you VPN from home to work,
all of your routing goes directly to the office system.

This is a security feature designed into VPN software to protect the office from virus' et all.

VPN access is to the infrastructure of the business. *IF* they desire you to be able
to access the web across your VPN connection, you will need to discuss that with
the I.T. manager.

Jobeard,
I would like to think that is the problem but I am using a lap top at work then take it home. There are no changes made from work to home on the computer. I believe it is the ISP that is causing the issue.

Mflynn,
Are you looking for the actual WAN IP or DNS? If so what would be the best way to find out which one is used? There is a specific website that we work through, if VPN is logged in then we can access the system if VPN is logged off I will not be able to access the site. Hope that makes sense.

Jobeard,
I would like to think that is the problem but I am using a lap top at work then take it home. There are no changes made from work to home on the computer. I believe it is the ISP that is causing the issue.
That's correct -- it's not your settings,
but the VPN connection itself. At work it's a non issue due to LOCAL routing; at home
it is an issue due to DNS access

HMMM, Thanks. It is wierd that I was able to for about a year and all of a sudden it doesn't work. I have discussed the issue with other co workers and they say they do not experience any problems with the system.

if VPN is logged in then we can access the system if VPN is logged off I will not be able to access the site. Hope that makes sense.
hum;
Home Usage w/o VPN
Code:
system-----yourIsp-->thereDNS
     <----------------ip addresses
      ------------------>Web Servers
      <--- html pages to your browser
Home Usage WITH a VPN connection
Code:
system-----VPN---->your Company systems-----[COLOR="Red"]??[/COLOR]---DNS?
      <----------------ip addresses?
       ---------------->your Company systems-[COLOR="Red"]?[/COLOR]--their gateway-[COLOR="Red"]?[/COLOR]-->Web Servers
       <-----[COLOR="Red"]???[/COLOR]-------- html pages to your browser [COLOR="Red"]?[/COLOR]
These (?) are the questionable routings and the ability
to route the webserver replies is doubful.

1) if you get something like "site not found; unable to connect" then the DNS request did not reply
2) if you get "timeout; unable to display", then the webserver did not reply

Hi Guys

Yes you would not use a VPN locally at your office, unless you work at an outside/remote office that has an Internet connection.

The simple way to find the WAN (Internet IP) to ask Sys Admin or from home ping the DNS name of the Office.
ping officename.com
or what ever it is and if not blocked then it will reply the IP of the Office..

But this can fail if your System Admin have blocked these type requests.

The best way is surest way (besides Sys Admin) is while in the office to go to
www.canyouseeme.org and it will tell you the WAN IP! If you click this now from home it will give you your WAN IP. Your phone number on the Internet.

In Control Panel Network connections you should have a Local Area connection and a VPN connection. See if you do and let me know.

If you have thought you were running on a VPN but were actually directly connecting directly then you will not have a VPN icon in Network connections.

So let me know! And we will go from there.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back