W3C releases an official HTML5 logo

By Emil
Jan 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has unveiled a new logo for HTML5. The logo links back to W3C, the place for authoritative information on HTML5, including specs and test cases.

Read the whole story
  2. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 283   +28

No offense to W3C, but that logo kind of sucks. When will official logos be more dynamic? I swear, I've seen 13 year-olds make logos in Flash that are better than this.
  3. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

I like the logo with its russian constructivism influence, remember logos need to memorable and simple.

What I don't like is the fact that the page has the logo in png and not on a canvas or svg element.
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That's cause they paid for this logo. Needs some fins to lower air resistance.
  5. Why don't they work on getting WebM as the default video standard?

They should not have to pay for a logo anyway there are enough artists that would have contributed a logo.
  6. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Meh, nothing special, simple none the less
  7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

It's what a logo should be. It shouldn't be a flashy masterpiece.. just a simple, attractive picture that gets the message across.
  8. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

The Nike "Tick" would fit that category
  9. Before I critique the new logo, understand that I think it is really successful.

I was going to suggest the preserve the curve in the numeral 5 as that is a classic shape, and would have contrasted the linear and cubish nature of the rest of the design nicely. However, I think the designer is going for an intentional distortion, indicating the dimensional nature of the bottom of the logo. Maybe even a transitional "2d" to "3d" referencing the transition to a more dynamic web experience.

The more I look at it (and the more beer I drink) the more I like it.

If the "One web for all W3C" is part of the logo, it needs to be abandoned. It is abysmal compared to the simple "HTML" text and the red logo.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.