Walmart considers paying in-store customers to deliver online orders

By Jos
Mar 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Walmart is reportedly considering a new service that would add an unusual twist to the delivery process by crowdsourcing it to customers. Under the plan, which is still in the early planning stages, the company would pay in-store shoppers to...

Read more
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,766   +1,427

Brings a new twist to washing dishes for grub.
    fimbles likes this.
  3. Having seen pics on peopleofwalmart I am somewhat scared of having a customer deliver my purchases.
    ghasmanjr, SalaSSin, tehbanz and 2 others like this.
  4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

I personally wouldn't do it. "Ain't nobody got time for that"
    treetops likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

For all those peopleofwalmart you are referring to, I wonder what they would think if they saw your picture. Honestly, what difference does it make as long as the package is delivered unharmed?
  6. Wendig0

I believe he was referring to the atrocious personal hygiene of some of the people pictured. That would matter a lot to me, as I've seen plenty of pictures of people in Walmart that can't wipe their *** right, and look like a walking infectious disease.
    ghasmanjr likes this.
  7. Oh Hell No! At least if it's a company employee, the employee is screened. Asking ordinary customers to do delivery you don't know who these people are. This is an open invitation for murderers and rapists. This would open the door for huge liability claims.

I think Walmart needs to seriously rethink this idea.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  8. Good idea, let a pure stranger deliver that new 42" TV to my home and then come and pick it up the next day while I am out.
    I am sure a lot of "honest" people are going to start shopping at Wal-Mart just to go deliver stuff around.
    Timonius and Wendig0 like this.
  9. People will just hang out at walmart waiting for orders to come in. same thing as having a full time delivery boy on staff only you don't have to pay them regularly. this is just a delivery fee for each item take for delivery?

they say "boxes by the curbside makes your home a target for thieves." this seems similar to that some how. I mean a house that bought a new xbox is definitly a worthwile target, if not for just the xbox alone I guess.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  10. Wal-Mart need to concern themselves with the criminal element who would jump at the chance to steal the intended delivery and or target the recipients for additional crimes....I would not request delivery if it is not performed by a recognized delivery service such as USPS, UPS and FEDEX.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  11. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

I'm sure you could put a limit on what items could be customer delivered. For example, an expensive tv wouldn't be allowed for obvious reasons but smaller items like clothing, small electronics, and perhaps sealed foods would qualify. This avoids people coming back and stealing expensive items. Also, if someone just walks off with items that are to be delivered Walmart would have information on hand to charge the deliverer for that item. (Credit card #, checking account, whatever..)
    Imo this is why Walmart continues to excel despite their size and age. They continue to experiment and innovate. Innovate or die is a common phrase in business.
    I would take it one step farther and offer in-store credit for delivering as an extra option. Inevitably people would deliver but never get around to using their in-store credit as intended so it would essentially be free delivery for Walmart. More savvy shopper may find in-store credit more convenient and so increase the number of people willing to deliver.

12. Have any of you looked at the calendar recently?
  13. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,231   +119

14. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

Seeing as it's being reported from multiple sources, it's not April, and Walmart doesn't participate in such Tom-foolery I think we can conclude its not an April Fool's joke.
  15. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,051   +218

Ye looks like March 28th 2013 to me..
    Wendig0 and Ranger12 like this.
  16. Why did you tell people look at the calendar, could of had even more stupid comments on this!
  17. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,815   +702

By time you get your order it's time for an upgrade.
  18. cliffordcooley

I highly doubt they will allow anyone to deliver merchandise regardless of price, without taking credentials first. Do you honestly think someone would target a house, that they had personally signed as the delivery person?

19. Buster Keaton

Buster Keaton Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

"CrowdSourcing"? I think I'm gonna throw up.
  20. Prosercunus

Prosercunus TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 116   +9

I don't order things on walmart.com in any case.
  21. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

Have you even seen Family Guy?
  22. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

Have you noticed that the average IQ of your day to day criminal is equal to that of a jellyfish?
    Wendig0 and davislane1 like this.
  23. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,190   +445

What justification could you possibly have for blatantly insulting a jellyfish like that?

Everybody knows that the intellect of common criminals is comprable only to a symposium of lithoids: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r4Klv8u2tgU/TUoGAuQSseI/AAAAAAAANq8/Ftql7pJalTc/s1600/Basalt+wall+rock.JPG
    Per Hansson and Wendig0 like this.
  24. Wendig0

25. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,815   +702

Unfortunately not. I'm not even sure if it was screened in South Africa.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.