Walmart partners with iBuyPower to offer custom desktops

By Matthew
Apr 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Boutique system builder iBuyPower has united with an unlikely business partner to deliver custom PCs to the masses. Starting this week, Walmart customers can purchase a desktop computer specifically tailored to their liking, with various options for the system's chassis, processor, graphics card and almost every other internal component.

Read the whole story
  2. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 823

An interesting partnership that might work out well for both parties. It certainly gives iBuyPower a new level of exposure in the retail sector and could appeal to many buyers that want something a bit different without having to do it themselves.
  3. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

This could be a real boon for PC gaming!
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Unfortunately the first thing that popped into my head was the 15 minutes I spent on, and imagining those people bringing their computer in under warranty.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

OMG, I so wish I hadn't have just checked that site out!! :haha:

First post of page three sums it up really! :dead:
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,462   +1,760

This is an exiting glimpse into the future....! What could be the final nexus of this? iBuyPower teaming up with a certain Italian custom automobile manufacturer, to bring Maserati to the Bonobo Chimp population....? :rolleyes:

It's probably a similar experience to looking directly at one of the women in my "hood". You're temporarily blind and your eyes hurt for the rest of the day.

And the irony is, not even the part that's supposed to turn to stone, ever does. :(
  7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

I can see the future. Longer lines at customer service in walmart.
  8. captaincranky

Ya thimk...? :rolleyes:
  9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

I trust you don't leave home without your mirrored shield?
  10. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,269   +101

Really? No thanks... might help less technologically advanced people though...
  11. chuckmeister

chuckmeister TS Rookie

Yeah... well just be ready for their version of over-priced "Geek Squad" soon to follow.

Another piece of the cake passed from Milton to Wal-Mart.
  12. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Guru Posts: 451   +37

This is a great day folks. Walmart is actually becoming awesome again and not just chinese goods for sale
  13. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

This could actually hurt PC gaming. Console sheep with next to no tech knowledge will try PC gaming out of curiosity. They will face bugs and issues that enthusiasts would easily be able to overcome with cfg tinkering and such. They'll chase their tales around awhile then resort to falling back on their warranty and customer service. They'll get replacement parts or a whole new system only to have new bugs or maybe get one game working only to encounter issues with their next game. Ultimately these lazy sheep will get frustrated and swear PC gaming off and rant to anyone who will listen about how PC gaming is garbage and more headaches than it's worth. They'll finally return to their consoles and bask in the mediocrity.
  14. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

I'm picturing a 94 year old Walmart greeter offering to show you the latest in technology....the Pentium III

at least 'Tha General' will have a place to shop now.
  15. captaincranky

My God man, what on earth are you talking about? Most all the computer hardware comes from China.....This will just slew the per item price point.
  16. captaincranky

Well, as long as it's one o' them thar new fangled 800 megacycle jobbies
  17. magaman598

magaman598 TS Booster Posts: 188

This is why I love going on here, lol.
  18. nah, those eff-tards take em to the pawn shop... wtf is a warranty?
  19. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,269   +101

It's not necessarily cranky who makes this place worth visiting... but some of people who comment, especially guests, and their lack of knowledge that others and themselves then claim to know about something and act like such is true, then reacting to.. because without them... cranky wouldnt have any targets! hehehe ;P
    And I'm no exception, If i state something I claim as true, then please make fun of me. I'm sure I'll have a good laugh.

This is probably one of my biggest distractions at work, sad but true. haha