Walmart tells some of its tech partners to stay away from Amazon Web Services

midian182

Staff member

Amazon’s continuing push into the groceries market has seen its rivalry with Walmart intensify. According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, the country’s biggest retail chain is now advising some tech firms that it does business with to stop using Amazon Web Services (AWS).

Amazon’s cloud computing platform is an area of the company that consistently experiences huge growth. It made $3.66 billion in revenue during the first quarter of this year and holds a 44 percent share of the web hosting and services market, according to Synergy Research Group.

Despite using its own servers and rival cloud hosting firms like Microsoft’s Azure, Walmart still has some technology partners that use AWS. But sources told the WSJ that the company had advised tech firms not to run its applications on Amazon's service.

"Our vendors have the choice of using any cloud provider that meets their needs and their customers' needs," said Walmart spokesman Dan Toporek. “It shouldn’t be a big surprise that there are cases in which we’d prefer our most sensitive data isn’t sitting on a competitor’s platform.”

Not surprisingly, Amazon isn’t happy with Walmart’s “bully” tactics. "We've heard that Walmart continues to try to bully their suppliers into not using AWS because they have an incorrect view that AWS is somehow supporting Amazon's retail business," said a spokesman.

“Plenty of suppliers are standing up to Walmart and refusing to be told that they can't use [us]. Tactics like this are bad for business and customers and rarely carry the day."

In addition to its online shop, Amazon competes with Walmart through its AmazonFresh grocery service (and Pickup). Jeff Bezos’ firm is also experimenting with physical stores and recently revealed the new ‘try before you buy’ Amazon Prime Wardrobe. But it was the $13.7 billion acquisition of Whole Foods Market earlier this month that really pushed Amazon’s rivalry with Walmart to another level.

Permalink to story.

As personally embarrassing as it is to publicly admit this, but I've been seen shopping at Walmart. In fact, I'd rather shop at Walmart than at Amazon.

When Amazon magnanimously offers "free shipping", they have a nasty habit of sitting on your goods for days before they condescend to boot it out of their warehouse(s). Since Amazon charges sales tax for on line purchases, I gain nothing in the way of tax relief shopping there.

Walmart and Amazon are constantly comparison shopping on another, theres a good chance that if an item you want is on sale at one, it will also be on sale at the other.

Walmart offers "free ship to store pickup", there's a Walmart a couple of miles away from me, the free ship to store is generally faster than Amazon's free shipping, I can go get the item when I feel like it, instead of waiting at home for a delivery and I do have to get out of the house once in a while. So, price being equal, that my peeps, is strike three against Amazon.

And BTW, I thought "Whole Foods" was a bit upscale, not really day to day direct competition for the likes of Giant and Shoprite. So you'll find me "slummin' it", at those two, before I ever set foot in a Whole Foods market.

AWS isn't new. Dan Toporek (VP of PR) has been working at been at Walmart for 5 years. Surely if someone told him to say this.. he'd stop it from being said as it's ridiculous and would make the company look bad. --this is dumb

As personally embarrassing as it is to publicly admit this, but I've been seen shopping at Walmart. In fact, I'd rather shop at Walmart than at Amazon.

When Amazon magnanimously offers "free shipping", they have a nasty habit of sitting on your goods for days before they condescend to boot it out of their warehouse(s). Since Amazon charges sales tax for on line purchases, I gain nothing in the way of tax relief shopping there.

Walmart and Amazon are constantly comparison shopping on another, theres a good chance that if an item you want is on sale at one, it will also be on sale at the other.

Walmart offers "free ship to store pickup", there's a Walmart a couple of miles away from me, the free ship to store is generally faster than Amazon's free shipping, I can go get the item when I feel like it, instead of waiting at home for a delivery and I do have to get out of the house once in a while. So, price being equal, that my peeps, is strike three against Amazon.

And BTW, I thought "Whole Foods" was a bit upscale, not really day to day direct competition for the likes of Giant and Shoprite. So you'll find me "slummin' it", at those two, before I ever set foot in a Whole Foods market.

I don't shop Walmart.com because 3 of the 4 times my credit card information has been stolen it was because of a purchase at walmart.com

Neither one of them are even a shadow of their former selves. Walmart is no longer the "low price" guarenteed store and Amazon spends way too much time trying to trick the shopper into signing up for things they don't want. Frankly, I'm ready for a 3rd alternative to come in and blow them both out of the water!

I don't shop Walmart.com because 3 of the 4 times my credit card information has been stolen it was because of a purchase at walmart.com
While I could be wrong, out of the millions of people who order through them daily with no issue, I speculate then the problem is your PC being affected with a key-logger/intercepting/chrome extension/ data stealing malware that is getting your credit card number, billing address and CVV number.

We sell on both web sites and walmart is the least tech savvy company I have ever seen. Their back end only worked with Internet Explorer 9 for a long time (like up to 2017) so I had to go searching on the web just to download that version. The backend itself is basic and non-user firendly, it's straight of 1999. Currently if you use Firefox and open their back-end none of their radio buttons work.

Amazon lets us store product in their warehouse that are open 24-7 and typically ship out a product within 8-24 hours of purchase. Walmart API feed (tells your warehouse to ship out a product) is constantly up and down and wants you to ship items on your accounts (they reimburse you) but if you place an order on Friday evening and the merchant warehouse closes on the weekend then you are SoL. I can't see how Walmart makes a dime on their online portal, it's a complete money loser especially if the customer chooses free shipping to a store.

Let's ignore the fact that Walmart is bad with technology in general. They expect companies to stop using the backbone of their online services? Switch from AWS to what? Azure? HAhaha such a funny joke.

That's hilarious... someone was posting JUST THE OPPOSITE in another article. Your card information is going to get stolen sooner or later..... They were swearing they would never shop on Amazon.com because their credit card information had been stolen! Do you KNOW beyond a reasonable doubt that it was actually Walmart? Probably not.. maybe you do? I don't know... Did you shop at Target, also? I never shopped at Target, but I do a lot on Amazon, and I've had my card information stolen, no big deal. Just go to your bank and they take like a day or two to put your funds back. Just do a quick google search of all the retailers that have bad breaches in customer's information and credit card number, you might be blown away if you are sincere in this comment.

That's hilarious... someone was posting JUST THE OPPOSITE in another article. Your card information is going to get stolen sooner or later..... They were swearing they would never shop on Amazon.com because their credit card information had been stolen! Do you KNOW beyond a reasonable doubt that it was actually Walmart? Probably not.. maybe you do? I don't know... Did you shop at Target, also? I never shopped at Target, but I do a lot on Amazon, and I've had my card information stolen, no big deal. Just go to your bank and they take like a day or two to put your funds back. Just do a quick google search of all the retailers that have bad breaches in customer's information and credit card number, you might be blown away if you are sincere in this comment.

I know 100% it was walmart.com. On all instances both my credit card company and WalMart.com admin contacted me with in minutes of the transactions.

As for Amazon ... I only purchase from Amazon non of the market place BS (Same with NewEgg)...been screwed over too many times.

While I could be wrong, out of the millions of people who order through them daily with no issue, I speculate then the problem is your PC being affected with a key-logger/intercepting/chrome extension/ data stealing malware that is getting your credit card number, billing address and CVV number.

Nope it was just after walmart.com purchases...Months in-between purchases. WalMart.com Admins and My Credit Card Company notified me minutes after the purchases...Many other purchases were made with out incident.

Amazon itself = good. Third parties selling on Amazon = Ebay (I.e. a roll of the dice). I can't imagine why anyone would order something from Wal-Mart's site when there is nearly always somewhere cheaper..the in-store pickup would be the only selling point IMO. Most of Wal-Mart's sales only apply to the physical stores so sometimes your local Wal-Mart is cheaper than their web site!

I just will NOT buy anything from Amazon! They are slow shipping, poor service tracking, expensive, and they can shove their sales tax bs! I had an item from Texas taxed and that's 3 states away! For Amazon to say AWS isn't sharing is like Trump saying he's working for the working stiff: both are blatant lies!

...[ ]....As for Amazon ... I only purchase from Amazon non of the market place BS (Same with NewEgg)...been screwed over too many times.
From what I've seen you post thus far, you truly suck at online shopping, and should probably stick to brick & mortar transactions. Oh, and give your computer a thorough virus and malware scan while you're at it.

You basically sound like an Amazon shill.

As far as Newegg goes, they so rarely have 3rd party sellers with lower prices than them, why would you even want to use them? Even if a Newegg seller was a couple bucks cheaper, I'd still go for Newegg, since their service is on par with, or better than, anyone else on the web, bar none.

As far as the "Amazon Marketplace" goes, I've never had a bad transaction with any business on there..... (wait for it).....bar none!

From what I've seen you post thus far, you truly suck at online shopping, and should probably stick to brick & mortar transactions. Oh, and give your computer a thorough virus and malware scan while you're at it.

You basically sound like an Amazon shill.

As far as Newegg goes, they so rarely have 3rd party sellers with lower prices than them, why would you even want to use them? Even if a Newegg seller was a couple bucks cheaper, I'd still go for Newegg, since their service is on par with, or better than, anyone else on the web, bar none.

As far as the "Amazon Marketplace" goes, I've never had a bad transaction with any business on there..... (wait for it).....bar none!

I suck at online purchasing because 3 out of the 4 times walmart.com was the cause for credit card info getting stolen???
You have no unearthly idea how much online shopping I do. How does my not using walmart.com make me an Amazon shill? Your reasoning is lacking

Oh look who's trolling now. I can't read, I used to work for the post office, and yet, I don't have any of your problems with online shopping.

Although, I do do admit to have gotten you confused with "BigT42". That's an honest mistake though. All the noob whimpering and whining seems to run together after a while.

Wow, 2 posts and you already think you have a gang here? Now that's delusional.

Noob? because I dare make the share that WalMart.com was the reason my credit card info got stolen 3 times out of 100s of online purchases from multiple vendors? that's delusional.

I suck at online purchasing because 3 out of the 4 times walmart.com was the cause for credit card info getting stolen???
You have no unearthly idea how much online shopping I do. How does my not using walmart.com make me an Amazon shill? Your reasoning is lacking
Noob? because I dare make the share that WalMart.com was the reason my credit card info got stolen 3 times out of 100s of online purchases from multiple vendors? that's delusional.
You really have nothing of any significance to say, so you have to say it twice?

YOUR credit card was stolen. From what I can tell from my own experience, and the rest of the posts in the thread, that makes you "unique". Which is to say the rest of us, me in particular, have no reason to care, or change our buying habits.

You're, "an army of one". Go complain to the better business bureau, there's nobody here but a bunch of deaf ears.

I'll grant you that Walmart employees aren't always the best available, and you may have run into a (or some) bad one, but that doesn't make you any less "atypical".

You're also free to boycott Walmart, but don't expect anybody to follow your example.

From what I've read from you thus far, it sounds like you've somehow offended Sam Walton himself, and his loyal employees are simply getting .even.....:p.

Last edited:
Back