want to conect one router to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a new netgear router(http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rou...axNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways/WNR854T.aspx)
i have a cable connection and after checking the settings on my old router (was configured by someone else) i saw it connects using lt2p.
As far as i know my new netgear router doesnt work with lt2p (my only options were ppoe,pptp and something else), so i am looking for a step by step guide that will show me how to connect my new netgear router to recieve an internet connection from my old edimax router and then broadcast it.
Also i was told by my isp that if i wanted to use the netgear router (by itself) i would have to get a static ip adress(currently using a dynamic one) but i dont want to switch to a static ip adress.

Please excuse my english not my first language.

riacg said:
I recently got a new netgear router(http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rou...axNEXTWirelessRoutersandGateways/WNR854T.aspx)
i have a cable connection and after checking the settings on my old router (was configured by someone else) i saw it connects using lt2p.
As far as i know my new netgear router doesnt work with lt2p (my only options were ppoe,pptp and something else), so i am looking for a step by step guide that will show me how to connect my new netgear router to recieve an internet connection from my old edimax router and then broadcast it.
Also i was told by my isp that if i wanted to use the netgear router (by itself) i would have to get a static ip adress(currently using a dynamic one) but i dont want to switch to a static ip adress.

Please excuse my english not my first language.

Hi

If you are unable to use the new router, which from the sound of it you aren't then really I would send it back or resell it.

There is little or no point putting a second router after a router, if all you are after is to extend the amount of available LAN connections then a Hub will suffice.

Regards

take a port from router-1 lan side to router-2 lan side and ignore
router-2 WAN port
set router-2 to disable DHCP

your existing router-2 will operate as a HUB :)

jobeard said:
take a port from router-1 lan side to router-2 lan side and ignore
router-2 WAN port
set router-2 to disable DHCP

your existing router-2 will operate as a HUB :)

Ummm lets see, Router 80 quid, Hub 10 quid, your idea = Bloomin expensive hub...:eek:

Ididmyc600 said:
Ummm lets see, Router 80 quid, Hub 10 quid, your idea = Bloomin expensive hub...:eek:
don't mean that! *IF* you already have (2), that's how to make one run as a hub. If you need more that 4 ports, then personally, I would get a cheap switch :)

linksys website says you can use the wan port on 2nd router
you are turning router into a switch
send back router buy a switch no headaches now
if not 2nd router need to be using an address like 192.168.1.225
not 192.168.1.1 if thats not enough to get hr going disable NATand any firewall
that the 2nd router uses

and knitting and knitting

Are you sure you are using the right cable? There is two that look excactly the same and will both plug in. One is for your router/modem to your pc and one is for router/router or router/modem.

Just checking:)

Regards,

Korrupt

Set the first router to use the network range of 192.168.0.0 and set the second, including your network, to use 192.168.1.0 and DHCP (not pppoe, pppoa etc) to obtain it's own address from the first router, the routing should then occur as expected. There is usually no need to define a static route. Checking the router status should show the WAN IP to be 192.168.0.2 and the Gateway and DNS servers all to be 192.168.0.1. The local LAN IP should be 192.168.1.1 for the Netgear itself.

jobeard said:
don't mean that! *IF* you already have (2), that's how to make one run as a hub. If you need more that 4 ports, then personally, I would get a cheap switch :)

Sorry JoBeard, always hard to tell the tone of a conversation from just a written statement, let me get down of my high horse....:)

Ididmyc600 said:
Sorry JoBeard, always hard to tell the tone of a conversation from just a written statement, let me get down of my high horse....:)
no problem here. we take it for granted that what we write
is 'perfectly clear' --- until someone other than ourselves tries to understand and
implement it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back