Want to make static IP for Wi-Fi users

safesha

I need the laptops at my office to have a static IP address for security purposes and identification. However, some employees take their laptops home in the evening. If I have the Wi-Fi configuration set to use a static IP address, how can they have a dynamic IP address at home?. All are using windows 7 . Nearly 10 - 15 person have laptop. Its for using in an office at qatar. Now all are getting internet with dynamic ip.

Reserve the IPs by MAC address on your DHCP server. That way they can leave their machines set to DHCP managed IPs and still get the same one each time.

Good suggestion LNC, only problem is, some corp. networks (don't know if yours is like this) don't ID using MAC address unless you set it up specially, which can be a pain on large networks. However if you only have the 15 some people that would need the settings done, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Best of luck,
-Alex

I need the laptops at my office to have a static IP address for security purposes and identification. However, some employees take their laptops home in the evening. If I have the Wi-Fi configuration set to use a static IP address, how can they have a dynamic IP address at home?. All are using windows 7 . Nearly 10 - 15 person have laptop. Its for using in an office at qatar. Now all are getting internet with dynamic ip.
OUCH. You're on a delimma with this issue; DHCP in one environment and Static in another.

First, ip addresses is not a good identifier; your router should be able to track the MAC addresses which is precise.

Second, regardless of the solution, you have a major security exposure where a device moves from work, to home and back again. Windows 7 NAP service addresses this concern. You should make every effort to get NAP services operational for every laptop that you allow onto your network.

You must consider the needs for File/Print sharing for the following:

All desktop systems should connect to router-A.
All laptops must connect to another router-B and you wire
Code:
Gateway---Router-A-----Router-B(wifi)
            |           |
            |           +- - - ALL wifi connections
            |
            +-- all desktop systems
If the DHCP on router A is servicing 192.168.1.1->255

then router B
  • should serve 192.168.2.1->255,
  • use DHCP for all laptops
  • AND allow only known MAC addresses (as well as use encryption).
your demand to register all laptops is your security and the above enforces that choice.
Router-A is immune from the complexity and only needs a persistent route as follows

The connection between routers will cause the WAN port on router-B to have an address belonging to
router-A - - this should be a fixed IP address (eg 192.168.1.253)

Now you add a persistent route to router-A
  • route 192.168.2.0 -> 192.168.1.253

OUCH. You're on a delimma with this issue; DHCP in one environment and Static in another.

First, ip addresses is not a good identifier; your router should be able to track the MAC addresses which is precise.

Second, regardless of the solution, you have a major security exposure where a device moves from work, to home and back again. Windows 7 NAP service addresses this concern. You should make every effort to get NAP services operational for every laptop that you allow onto your network.

You must consider the needs for File/Print sharing for the following:

All desktop systems should connect to router-A.
All laptops must connect to another router-B and you wire
Code:
Gateway---Router-A-----Router-B(wifi)
            |          |
            |          +- - - ALL wifi connections
            |
            +-- all desktop systems
If the DHCP on router A is servicing 192.168.1.1->255

then router B
  • should serve 192.168.2.1->255,
  • use DHCP for all laptops
  • AND allow only known MAC addresses (as well as use encryption).
your demand to register all laptops is your security and the above enforces that choice.
Router-A is immune from the complexity and only needs a persistent route as follows

The connection between routers will cause the WAN port on router-B to have an address belonging to
router-A - - this should be a fixed IP address (eg 192.168.1.253)

Now you add a persistent route to router-A
  • route 192.168.2.0 -> 192.168.1.253
thanks for your reply. as I am a beginner , I want to knw how to set static ip on adapter, without make problem on home network? . also how can we search a pc on office network via mac id ?

Well to start off, what model router do you have? Because setting this up as jobeard says to, how you do it depends on router type, different brands/models have different methods of changing MAC Filters

Ok, someone will help you make that change - - but don't whine when that laptop needs to be change
again, again and over again when you move it back and forth from home to the office.

Sorry you took it that way. I was suggesting firmly that this is (imo) the wrong approach.
If you would notice that with over 11,000 posts, I've been helping here for a very long time. Some want
a solution and don't understand the unintended consequences of their choice, and a firm response
is one way to get them to reevaluate the problem and to seek alternatives.

Apologies to all who hold with alexe3831. I'll withdraw and let someone else take the lead.

LNC's or jobeard's solutions will work, but from what I understand, using these to search for a PC is a different problem entirely...

If you have anyone with some PHP/SQL experience on hand, you could probably implement a free solution like OCS Inventory NG that'd simplify things, especially if you've got the employees using a per-user authentication scheme for Wi-Fi access and/or a working AD structure.

The Search issue would be via Print/File sharing of folders and search would be like any other.
If the shared resource were the drive letter, you get access to it all (which is a security risk)

Back