Want to partition drive with information on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellyJC

Had to replace a hard drive due to electronic failure, and the restore my dad did wasn't done quite right.

My old drive had two partitions. Only one of these was restored. I want to make a second partition before restoring down the second drive, so all the drive letter links are right...I'm not keen on having to reinstall all my software.

My dad says that the only way of really partitioning at this point is to reformat, which I don't really want to have to do.

He says there are programs like Partition Magic, but he's never been fully happy with them. Plus I don't want to have to pay for something I need only once.

Is there any free trial partition software out there that works well, or some other idea anyone has? There's plenty of space on the drive, I just need half of it to recognize a different drive letter.

Thanks!

I have a cracked copy of Partition Magic 8.0 & im too scared to actually use it! Only because I tried it once before on an older version & I lost everything!

Heard of PART?

I think thats free ... & it allows you to make up to 4 or 5 Primary partitions (you need xosl aswell ... probably free too). Maybe that might help you.

But if u want partition Magic (Full) I can post a link that will remain active on my friends website for 7 days & u can d/l it & try if u wanna.

Y pay for software?!?! :grinthumb

Mike...not too happy to hear about that losing everything! But then, since I just restored everything about a month ago, I don't have much to lose- not much put on there since the last restore. But right now I'm back and forth between homes...is PM a standing offer I can take you up on in maybe a week or two when I have time to toy around with it? Thanks for the offer!

I haven't heard of PART, I might look into that..but what is xosl?

Realblack, thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I'm sort of thinking maybe it's time to just wipe the slate clean and start from scratch again...Some of these drives go back to when I had winxp and dual boot, and other mobos, so I've got system files all over the place. That's really appealing to me, but then, it's also extremely time consuming, my backups are 30 miles away from home at my dad's, and we ALWAYS have unexpected trouble. So given that the system *works* as it is, I'm afraid to touch it for cleanliness/organizational sake. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back