Want to reformat windows xp, but no disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have the disk, but i want to reformat my windows xp.
Its a dell dimension e510.

I dont want to backup anything, i just want to know how i can get another disk, or how i can do this without a disk. I looked all over the dell website but i couldnt figure it out.

thanks

Contact Dell tech support by telephone. Give them your service tag, and they will send a new disk set to the address to which it was originally shipped for about $36.00
If you are not the original owner, you need to register as the new owner on the Dell website, then wait 21 business days for it to become established. When you are listed as the registered owner, which you can check online, you can then order the disc set.
If the computer has been reported stolen, they will not ship the discs, and will notify the local authorities for the address you posted. Then you will have a bit of a hassel establishing how you obtained it. If you obtained it in any way for which you have a receipt, then Dell will still register it to you and sell you the discs.

How's that fraud? He has a legitimate CD key just doesn't have the CD, I did the same thing for a friend. I installed XP SP3 and put in their cd key for their original XP SP1 - it's not fraud, it's the same thing. All CD's contain the same operating system, so your CD Key is really the thing you purchase.

Actually, that's an interesting question. If you have your Product Key is it fraud or copyright infringement to use someone else's CD and enter the Product Key which provides you the license? (that's how i'd interpret it. Am not so sure one way or the other)

In any case, I am pretty sure you'll need a Dell install CD for your Product Key to work (but not 100% sure)

I've found myself on the regular having to reinstall Windows on peoples PCs & more often than not they either have some bloatware-full recovery partition that I don't use or they simply do not have any means to reinstall.

For such occasions I've done an image an OEM version of Windows & use it to reinstall it on their machines if course using their license key, the one on the label stuck to the machine. I don't see anything wrong with that as they're using their original legitimate key.

So zazazayou feel free to download the version of Windows that will work with your license key & use that license key during the install.

Dell dimention 510

I dont have the disk, but i want to reformat my windows xp.
Its a dell dimension e510.

I dont want to backup anything, i just want to know how i can get another disk, or how i can do this without a disk. I looked all over the dell website but i couldnt figure it out.

thanks

Hi ! I see you posted in 2008 so your dell demention if its not to old i can help you ! mine is a demention 3.000, and most Dell computer as a build in window xp and redgister key ,, so when i want to reformat my window xp here is what i do ... Reboot computer and as soon as it starts to turn back on hold Ctrl and keep taping F11 on your key board ,a window will pop up asking what you want to do .reinstalle windows and it will tell you you will lose all saved files pictures ext and ask if you want to continue click yes to that and follow trew its easy ,when it gets to your IP and high speed conection click on scip just continue to follow trew till it tells you your not connected to internet , then connect your high speed modem back to your computer ,( you must hold ctlr and tape F11 while your sceen monitor is still black) If you read and follow trew what it ask you to do you sould be fine .once your window xp as finish reinstalling you must do all your updates ,,, ok now sometimes you dont do the ctrl and F11 fast enough for it to work ,, if so once you reboot hite and hold pause break on your type for a few minute then let it go and hold ctrl and tape F11 ,,,,hope this helps you ! You can also call Dell suport , you can fine there phone number in the book you received with your Dell or google it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back