TechSpot

Want to turn OEM Windows 7 computer into dual boot with XP

By DadTech
Dec 18, 2009
  1. Everything I find online is how to set up a dual boot system when you already have XP and want to add Windows 7 as dual boot.

Instead, I have a brand new Dell desktop that came with Windows 7.

How do I turn that into a dual boot system, since I want to be able to run XP (to use all my old software) without removing the ability to sometimes use Windows 7 instead. (The XP compatability feature in Windows 7 doesn't run most of my old software adequately.)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,981   +168

Boot from the XP CD and start the XP install process. You will need to create a partition separate from the Windows 7, or the Dell restore partition. I don't know if the partition option is available in the XP install. If not, you can download and install a free 3rd party partition manager, to create another partition on the C drive for XP. Then you can install XP normally to the new partition

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

If you need GParted, you can find it here.

You can burn it to a live CD and manage your partitions that way if you like.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.