Want upgrade my computer

By Chuckmaster
Oct 16, 2009
  1. I have a HP Media Center PC m7490n I am wanting to upgrade cpu and motherboard and use parts out of my old computer as far as I can. It is 940D processor 3.2 GHZ. 4 GB DDR2 , 1 Tb hard drive and have a Radeon HD 4550 grachic card, psu 300 watt. I can upgrade that if I have to . I play games and do cad programs and restore old photos and new ones. I can't affort a great deal of money but would like to put in a good core 2 or Quad. I also have a RTM Win 7 32bit or 64 bit os program. Thanks for any help that you can give me.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Two questions that we need you to answer so that we can help you:

1. What is your budget?

2. What do you want to do with your PC?

As a side note I notice you use CAD. May I ask what software in particular?

By the way, consider 64-bit because it is certainly moving that way. Also, you are definitely going to need more than a 300Watt PSU.
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hi Chuck,
    I will add a third question to Route's two. where do you live?
    if this is a strictly budget thing, i would recommend this: MB CPU
    or... CPU

you mentioned that you were thinking about a intel dual core. The x3 720 and the x4 620 will both out perform the top dual core Intel CPU (the 8xxx series) and are $60-$80 less. The X4 620 will do better with your CAD and Photo editing, but the X3 will be faster in gaming with its L3 cache.

if you are set on Intel, i would go with this.

also you did not mention what brand and speed of DDR2 you are using, so check MB support lists.

Hope it helps :)
  4. Chuckmaster

Chuckmaster TS Rookie Topic Starter

want to upgrade my computer

1. 200.00 to 250.00
    2. Photos, games and cad programs
    3. Turbocad
    4. 667mhz ddr2 samsung
    5. I knew I would have to upgrade my PSU
    Thanks for the help so far
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

I would go with the motherboard red1776 suggested, the X4 620, and this PSU to go with it all.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.