Warner Bros. acquires Flixster, Rotten Tomatoes

By Emil
May 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 513   +95

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't acquiring Rotten Tomatoes be a conflict of interest since they review movies?
  2. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet Newcomer, in training Posts: 115

I was thinking the same exact thing. WTH?
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

"I think this WB movie is great!. [Disclaimer: WB signs my paychecks.]"
  4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,917   +119 Staff Member

Well, Rotten Tomatoes just compiles reviews done by other people, most of them not in any way affiliated with Rotten Tomatoes to begin with...
    But yea, it feels kinda uneasy, but still they gotta make the site go around, with that kind of traffic they are paying allot in servers and tech people I can tell you!

As for the Rotten Tomatoes site itself I love it, I use it several times per week to look up on movies, to know if they are worth watching or not...
  5. RT is dead now as a reliable source of non partisan reviews.. then they have the audacity to claim they won't interfere with the reviews.. why would you feel the need to buy it in the first place if you didn't want control over the review process..
  6. I guess it's a good time to start a new RT website as know one will be using that one anymore.
  7. Emin3nce

Emin3nce Newcomer, in training Posts: 129

Greeeaaaat, biased reviews incoming.
  8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Very true that was about the only bright side of the story, but they may start deciding whose reviews they do and don't compile.

I felt a lot more comfortable with Amazon buying IMDB, as Amazon sold all the movies regardless of how good or bad they were, but if IMDB was bought by Fox or Disney, it would have been a different story.
  9. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Just read eberts review if you really want an unbiased source of info about a movie.
  10. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,648   +51

Yeah this is bullshit, well that's what I thought on first impression and it may be true. But this also simply might allow a upgrade from the RT site so we can buy and download movies right after rotten tomatoes or order netflix movies from there. Trusting rich people not to try and dupe the masses to make more money is very hard. I will be looking for a new review site.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.