Warning cpu has been changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning CPU has been changed.
I needed to put a new power supply in my computer. Now it does come back up but with this warning...

Warning! CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit!

If I click on F1 it brings me to my desktop but says I need to restore desktop, but it will not allow me to. I have tried everything to get into the setup, but have no idea how.

Any ideas? I am not a pro at this stuff, and simply do not understand it. I will try anything you say, but to please try to be as clear as possible for me. I would greatly appreciate that.

Thank you.

Wow, that's weird......

You probably need to reset the CMOS in your BIOS. The motherboard battery may have failed (how old is the computer), or the oddball voltages from a failing PSU may have scrambled something up. Usually the CMOS is reset by removing the the little button battery and waiting a few minutes, then reinstalling it. It is possible in a worst case scenario that the motherboard failed and took out the PSU. First, either dust off your instruction manual or visit you motherboard manufacturer's site and download the manual. A quick read through will get you the proper procudure for the CMO(S reset for your particular board. Let us know how you make out.

Also, recheck all of the connections on your new PSU. You may have inadvertently left the 4 pin plug off your CPU (if it's an Intel), that also might cause the symptoms you describe.

oh my gosh thank you...

I am very slow at this, I see the battery you're talking about, and yes it's possible I did not connect that white plug correctly. My daughter gets home around 11 tonight, and I think I will her read your advice and have her follow it, lol.

Thank you so much *crosses fingers tightly* I can't wait to see if it works.

I'll be back in touch just as soon as I find out :) Thanks again!

Sorry, but it didn't work...

We did everything you suggested, even put a new battery in... but it is still doing the same thing... I am very sorry.

So I got the bright idea of putting that hard drive into my computer that only needs xp to work, and that hard drive does have xp... but now I have an error on the second computer of...

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system\DRIVERS

It repeats that message over and over and I have to reboot manually.

Should I just bring the first computer to the shop? It is the computer I want most fixed. I borrowed it from my sister. It's about three years old, but she never used it except to download some itunes... she always used her laptop for everything else.

I am sorry to bother you again, but if you have any further ideas I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Oh when I started the computer, and after it says Gateway, it says Pentium, so I am assuming it is not intel. But it does say intel corporation on it as well. Sorry I am so naive at this...

Now I'm confused as Well....

Simply slapping a hard drive from one computer into another without considering the type of drive and if an IDE drive, it's position on the buss is a recipe for s*** not working at all.

Whether the drive you're installing has Windows on it or not is academic, it can't be used to boot the second machine. If it's an IDE drive (Big wide flat type connector), it must be installed in the "slave" position of the buss, and the computer's BIOS boot order must be checked to eliminate it from the boot order altogether. The way it should work is the drive is installed for the purpose of removing or backing up your files to DVD. If it is a SATA drive, (very small flat wire) , it must be taken out of the boot order in BIOS and be set to run as IDE, or Windows will give an error similar to the one you're receiving.

Intel doesn't build computers, Gateway does. Intel manufactures Processors, chipsets and motherboards. This means your computer is an Intel Pentium based Gateway.

The rest or your OMFG it didn't work post is still an enigma to me, I'm sort of still trying to interpret it. The things you're trying to do are going to require to learn a good bit more about computers. So, try and digest what I've told you so far and get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back