TechSpot

Warning Dangerous Spyware

By kawink
Jan 6, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello. This is my 1st post so please bare with me...my desktop computer has been infected with a virus that keeps changing the background/appearance of my desktop. I am now getting a black background with a message that reads: Warning Dangerous Spyware... and every few minutes a Warning Security report appears in the task bar."

I have tried downloading walwarebytes and something from pc tools and although I can down load programs, I can not run them. When I click run I get 16+ Application Error messages that read "Exception EInvalidOp in module mbam-setup.tmp at 778500D5. Invalid floating point operation"

How do I fix? Please help!
  2. rf6647

rf6647 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 931

Your are describing an exploit to frustrate reaching anti-malware sites. Here are methods that have been used recently. The alternative was offered by a new member.

Based on your description, point # 3 (member that used renaming) may do the trick.

1. Since you are discribing a case of difficulty. attempt this method (follow link for 'How To')
      • Use this method to stop any 'non-plug and play' driver that is named in this guide.
      • Please report its name for changes to the method

2. For infections that have more severe symptoms, Unable to run or update via TechSpot 8 Steps or manually run MBAM or SAS

3. Message #3 - link to 'fixit download' has demonstrated its effectiveness in many cases. Go to message # 3 'fixit download'. Part of the method renames the executable to get the application to run. Here is another member that used renaming.

4. Alternative - Web site has a link to download-dot-com - phonetic spelling used
      • There appears to be a connection with 'sagipsul' popups.
      • Read this post. from member.
      • phonetic spelling for web site
        • w.dot-simplysup.dot-com/tremover/download.html
  3. thaed

thaed Newcomer, in training

I have this problem as well: my desktop suddenly changed into a black background with "warning dangerous spyware" message. However, all the solutions I can find online involve downloading different things, and it keeps stopping me from using the internet (I am on a friend's computer right now), so that as soon as I load it up, the internet page closes before I have time to download anything.

Any suggestions?
  4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

This thread is for the use of kawinkonly. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Virus and Malware Removal Forum.

thaed, use a flash drive to download the programs, then install on the problem computer. Please note message above.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.