Warning spyware threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bpierced

Hi thanks for putting this out here for people who have a question or two. I appreciate it. I have Windows XP and run Defender Pro 15 in 1 anti-virus and have run across this problem

Symptoms:
1.) Desktop wallpaper which was generic compac wallpaper has changed to a blue background with yellow and white message saying
"warning! spyware threat has been detected on your PC. Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity. It is strongly recommended to install an antispyware software to close all security vunerabilities" If I click on it it takes me to a site trying to sell me spyware.
2.) Periodic tooltip messages hosting various warnings and basically telling me to use a type of (blatantly illiegitamate) spyware cleaner.
3.) Task manager is disabled. Message "task manager has been disabeld by your administrator". I am the only user. I have noticed as well that I had an icon from Windows defender installed that I did not install.

If you could help that would be great. I only ask that you relate the information in the most simple language you possibly can.

Thanks
Becky

Hi Bpierced,

Please have a read here-> Is your system infected? Read this before Cleaning or Formatting

If you decide to clean your system please follow these Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and post back in this thread with the requested logs. There should be at least 3.

1)AVG log
2)Combofix log
3)Hijackthis log (Step 15)

This thread is for the use of Bpierced only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

after reading"is your system infected?'

I am concerned with the statement, "there is no guarantee that your computer will be safe to use" or something like that. How likely is it that I will not be able to disinfect my computer? Anothe question, Is there a good free security software that I can download for my other computers?

For now I would just follow the instructions and see if you can get the system clean. After you do it you can see about changing your passwords and things to any online banking or other websites that you may use.

Avast or AVG are both very good, I use Avast on my XP computer and AVG on my Vista one, also you should look about getting a free firewall to work with them, I personally use comodo but Zonealarm is also very good.

okay here is the log, I hope I can send them as attachments

Here are the logs I could find. the "root thing" said none were found. Is there more to do? should I delete all these programs I have downloaded?

Not just yet.

Where is the AVG log?

You are also using an outdated version of windows and have no antivirus or firewall installed that I can see.

You need to update to xp SP2 and get some protection immediately.

one more log

This should be all you need if I followed the directions correctly. I am having no symptoms except things a running a tad bit slow.

Thanks,

Becky

I am running defenderpro 2008 1 in 15. I had it disabled when doing all this stuff. because it kept popping up. I was also not connected to the internet if I didn't have to download updates and stuff.

You need to re do the AVG log and make sure that it is set to quarantine the results.

Also please see my edited post above.

quarantined

I did have it set to quarantine and there are five things actually quarantined. There are 2 Trojan.small and 4 adware.generic

You may want to copy and paste these instructions into notepad so you can view them later,

Boot into safe mode by tapping F8 as soon as windows starts,

Run AVG Antispyware.

See this pictorial guide on how to use AVG Antispyware.

VERY IMPORTANT

Make sure AVG is set to quarantine it`s results.

Make sure you read this step properly.

That`s because too many members are posting an AVG log that says "No Action Taken" or "Ignored"

Please note: If your AVG Antispyware log says all items have "No Action Taken" or "Ignored" That`s because you haven`t followed the instructions properly for using AVG Antispyware and will have to read them again and do a fresh AVG Antispyware scan.

There is absolutely no point in attaching an AVG Antispyware log that says items have "NO ACTION TAKEN" or "IGNORED"

Once finished, click the save scan report button, followed by the Save report as button and save it to your desktop.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Then post the log back.

Bpierced said:
I did have it set to quarantine and there are five things actually quarantined. There are 2 Trojan.small and 4 adware.generic

from the log you posted it says that all things were ignored.

lets try this log

i hope it is not the same and wasting your time. I will do another if this id not the one you need. It will be a little later though.

Its not wasting my time, dont worry about that (my times free anyway! lol), its just that its easier to clear stuff if its quarantined in a folder rather than elsewhere on your computer.

Thats looking better, you can delete the contents of the quarantine folder now. Could you also post a fresh HJT log now that those have been deleted?

what to do with all this software

so, what should I do with all this software downloadeded. Is my computer okay to be left connected to the internet? Is ther something else that I need to do to clean anymore viruses? Please advise as my daughter has been surfing the internet with the computer the way it is. I am at risk for picking up more viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back