TechSpot

Watch Live: Samsung Unpacked 5 event, Galaxy S5 announcement

By Shawn Knight
Feb 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung is minutes away from taking center stage at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. It's all but a given that we'll see the debut of the Galaxy S5, but what else might the Korean tech giant have up its...

Read more

2. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

"an ultra power saving mode can turn the display to black and white and disable all unnecessary features"
    I wonder what they consider "unnecessary"? I can't see 24 hours on <10% with 4g even on, let alone features like texting.

3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 981   +97

I'm impressed. I see why they didn't go with the 1440 display if battery was a major focus. Bravo Samsung.

4. suzook1

suzook1 TS Rookie

Holy boredom batman. I am a big Samsung fan and LOVE the note 3 but they basically made a smaller note 3 and put the S5 logo on it sans the s-pen.

Watching samsung stock fall as we speak. shame

5. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 409   +91

So no metal chasis and no 1440p display. What is acctually different from the $4?

6. I thought the rumors said it was going to be metal. Was it metal at all? Or rumors were wrong?

7. "The handset would best be described as an incremental update..."

Incremental would definitely be an apt description for this phone.
    Quite frankly...underwhelming would be another.

8. Bored. I'd rather have a heart attack than owning this device. this will be just like their smart galaxy gear which stinks in stores. I hope HTC can launch a premium phone than this.

9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,119   +723

They probably took that measurement with a brand new battery too. But who cares really? 6 hours would be great at less than 10% battery, who needs the full 24?
    I believe it could work. I use an app call Juice Defender that turns off your mobile data and wifi when your screen is off and it really improves battery life. If the S5 has a bigger battery it could really benefit from it. Samsung also uses those screens that only light up the pixels being shown (not a backlit screen like many others) which means if it's displaying dim white text on a black background its like having 95% of the screen turned off.

I couldn't tell. I think if it were aluminum they would have mentioned it. Looks like shiny textured something -or-another.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

I'm glad it's still kept simple with a home button, 1080p screen and with a non metal chassis, it serves to help keep the weight down as well as an already substantial price tag. Pity about the screen size getting bigger but if overall dimensions haven't changed it's a non issue. So far I like what I see but a heart rate monitor... what on earth for?
    The gold model looks like it should do well in the sub continent but it's not a color I'd gravitate towards.
    Now I'd like to see the S5 Mini, it would interest me more than this one.

Android 4.2.2 sounds more like Jelly Bum to me and not Kit Kat.

11. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

Really disappointing... the back is really hideous, no offense...

Also, why didnt they go with a Snapdragon 801? According to some sites, it is packing an 800.

The fingerprint sensor and waterproofing is a nice addition. Too bad the improvements are subpar.

12. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 516   +86

Looks like nothing more than an annual specs bump and minor design adjustment. This device is still pretty much just an S3, much like how the S4 was.

13. I have waited so long to find out such disappointing specs for the S5, the Sony Z2 blows it out the water with its specs.. 3 gigs ram, better camera...S5 has no metal chassis or 5.2 inch screen... Samsung just lost a whole lot of customers. I waited a year for this and now I think I'll try Sony.

14. ryan29121

ryan29121 TS Enthusiast Posts: 182

Looks like Samsung is sticking with their cheap plastic case like usual. What a let down.

15. Typo: Android Kit Kat is 4.4.2 not 4.2.2.

16. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 597   +89

Lol some of you really sound hurt over this.

This is going to continue for the 6s and the 7s. Why spend money on R&D when you guys will line up to by this phone anyways just like the Iphone users.

17. Don Wildasin

Don Wildasin TS Rookie

I believe the author meant KitKat 4.4.2

18. I guess in their mind they've perfected the Galaxy S series, so now they don't want to take any risks changing too much. Now they're essentially following Apple's lead: Spend as little money as possible by re-releasing the same phone each year, and people will still buy it.

19. supyo

supyo TS Rookie Posts: 42

Oh how exciting... yet another android phone.

20. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

An uninspiring incremental update, perhaps, one can say a slightly souped up GT-i9506?

Edit:
    Also, they finally decided to copy WP's Kid's corner ......... cool ;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  21. Skidmarksdeluxe

Heh heh a lot of folk are disappointed with it and to be honest it's nothing out of the ordinary and pretty much expected but it will sell in droves and that's what counts. The only thing I think whats wrong with it is it's name, it should rather have been called a S4 Plus or S4 Advanced etc. because that's all it is.

22. Seriously, what did people expect?
    At this point, making a huge difference in smartphones is pretty much non possible.
    Better battery life is not going to happen until some years where the new tech for batteries will become available and cheap.
    The HD screen is just fine and now they added a smart way to control the brightness. What did you want? A 4k resolution screen on 5 inch? Lol
    Processor and ram are an ok incremental and camera is more than I personally expected.

Hardware wise, this is very ok. Now those who wanted more need a reality check.

23. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Thank You!!

I'm surprised a guest made the only post, I can completely relate to and agree with.

24. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

I think it has more to do with where Samsung went wrong (and where Apple usually have gotten things right), for an incremental upgrade, do not use a new model number, instead they should have called it Galaxy S4 (whatever letter they haven't used yet), this alone would have made much more sense.

25. Skidmarksdeluxe

Me too. Will wonders ever cease?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.