TechSpot

Water resistant coating to protect future smartphones from H2O damage

By Shawn Knight
Apr 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Consumers may soon have a new weapon in the never-ending battle to safeguard electronics against H2O. Daikin Industries is developing a water-resistant coating that could help protect circuit boards found...

Read the whole story

2. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

I'm taking the window-wipers off my car :D

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

I kept waiting for them to place a drop on the untreated section of the sample. Other than the way the circuit board sheds water there was no reference as to how the sample might act when untreated. Even the speaker grill was completely coated.

4. Xero07

Xero07 TS Booster Posts: 100

We can push people in the water again!! WOOHOO!!

5. A dry raincoat, shoes, the use for clothing sounds endless also.

6. I have to ask ... how is this going to haddle heat !? Yay my phone is waterproof but i can only use it 1 hour at the time cuz its overheating !! theres no way thermal paste will be affective on top of this right?

7. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

Same here.
    In fact, i have a couple circuit boards with a waterproof coating that came from machines that use water in their function. I can soak them with a garden hose while they're on. :)

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

Thats a good question, however thermal resistance is not the same as water resistance.