WD My Book turned into internal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

So I have a WD (Western Digital) MyBook 500GB. I love this thing, till my mom threw it on the ground. Once I plug it in, my computer see's the hardware and recongizes that it is a HDD of some kind. But I cannot view it in My Computer or anything. So if I right click "My Computer" and click "Manage" and go to Disk Management, I see the HDD there listed at "Disk 3" and if I try to initialize it, it will come up with the error "Cannot find the required sectors".

So I looked online and found people could solve this by taking the HDD out of the case and putting it into their computers making it internal, so they can retrieve their files, which is what I need to do. I took the HDD out of the case and everything to where I have the simple SATA HDD. I plug it into my computer with the SATA cable, power cable etc etc. But when my computer turns on, it doesn't even see it.

Some sites said you had to activate it in the BIOS or something, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. You would think my computer at least "sees" the HDD there since it does when its connected by USB.

Anyone have any solutions to this? I just need all 500GB of my files back..

It really didn't help me. I couldn't find any LEGACY/ENHANCED settings, or SATA/SCSI setting anywhere, which is what I thought I was looking for from that thread.

I used my mybook 400gb drive as my main internal drive on my one computer, since I got it for cheaper than an internal drive (black friday), and didn't really need an external. I didn't have any problem using it on my desktop. It just recognized it and worked, I didn't have to fiddle with the bios or disk management. I'd guess the drive has a problem if you can't see it on your computer. Is the drive spinning up or is it staying quiet when in the computer?

Hi

The like NVF4Ultra says the drive may have developed a fault, is the unit still under warrantly at all ?

Regards

Did it get tossed to the ground while it was on? If so, you can be pretty sure you aren't getting the data back yourself.

It was unplugged then thrown to the ground. And I'm not really concerned about the warranty as I have a new one, its just that I need those files back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back