WD Raptor died, need data recovery

rmdl51

Hello!,

Today my WD Raptor decided to die, all of a sudden while using my computer it just froze up, blue screen on me and reboot then keeps looping.

I do regular backups so I have "most" of my data on my external drives but this happened so suddenly that I have some recent excel files and pictures that are not on my last backup and I would really like to recover those files.

I run DFT and result was some sector/logical failure, I remove the drive, installed on another computer and I can see the drive but every time I double click on it I got the message "You need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use it" and sometimes when I click on the drive I got "D:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" Disk management sees the drive as "Active, Primary Partition" but still can't open it from there.

I haven't format it yet, but I wonder if there is a way to access it somehow to retrieve the data, or the only way is to format it to access it and then use some software to recover the files?

Suggestions? opinions? what do you guys think? what options do I have? Thanks in advance for all the input.

Back