WD Scorpio (2500BEVS) broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I installed a refurbished 2.5" notebook drive in one of my desktops hoping it would work but I can't get it to format, so I'm thinking it's busted. I tried to format it normally through Windows XP but it makes no progress at all. I ran chkdsk /r and it said the drive contains one or more unrecoverable errors. There was stuff on the drive before but i deleted the partition because it wasn't sensitive data.

I ran TestDisk and it said the structure of the disk was OK but when I ran Data Lifeguard the drive failed the SMART test or whatever. I think it said one attribute was indicating the drive was dying... bad sector or something. Anyways, is there any way to fix it or should i just scrap it? The drive doesn't make any sounds but like i said it's a refurb so all bets are off i suppose.

Scrap it. Sometimes when running a harddrive diagnostics bad sectors can be repaired but with fails in chkdsk / r and S.M.A.R.T. and the fact they are unrecoverable it is time for a new one.

Scrap it. Sometimes when running a harddrive diagnostics bad sectors can be repaired but with fails in chkdsk / r and S.M.A.R.T. and the fact they are unrecoverable it is time for a new one.

I concur. Even if you could manage to format and start using it now it sounds like a risky drive prone to fail and die on you in the near future :dead:

Yea sounds like it's a lost cause, cuz i ran HDD Regenrator which supposedly restored the bad sectors but the drive still fails the SMART scan and still will not format. Oh well, thanks for the input..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back