Weak signal 10 metres!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi’ just bought a Netcomm wireless router 5540 and seem to have connected ok to wifes laptop using a Belkin 11g card.
The problem is that the signal is weak less than 10 metres away (4 rooms). The internet connection drops out.
But if I move it closer the signal is strong. How can I boost the signal? I thought it would work for much longer distances.

:giddy:

got 2.4GHz phones or other wireless devices in the house? Microwave oven close by? Maybe its the building materials of the walls. Anytime the signal has to pass through or bounce off an obstable such as a wall, it will lose strength. Some objects such as softwoods(like pine) will actually absorb part of the signal and result in greater loss.

Other than that, maybe its the Belkin card. Belkin is one of the lowest quality manufacturers of wireless equipment(which is why they are usually so much cheaper than the others).

Yes the house is brick with steel frames and USA insulation I've never seen before, as it is like paperboard/chipboard with aluminium foil on both sides. Also have aluminium windo and door frames. Maybee I'll have to buy a WAP?

Thanks

Leson lernt!
The generic wireless PCMICA card (Belkin 11G) is not sooo good at reciving signals.
Went to the showgrounds, monthly computer free for all, at North Pines, Brisbane Queensland, and bled some brains & was instructed by some networkers' to buy Netgear PCMICA.
I did at a cost, and they where sOOOO right. Belkin sucks.
The signals are so strong now. I guess you pay for what you get, but then again
only fools rush in. Like me!

Crocodile runnaway Mick: North of Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back