TechSpot

Wearable computing market forecasted to hit $1.5 billion by 2014

By Shawn Knight
Nov 1, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new study from Juniper suggests wearable computing will soon become a huge market. Revenue from this emerging industry is expected to reach $800 million this year from existing products like smart watches and personal health and fitness devices.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +388

Protip: stop trying to make "wearable computing" look stupid and out of the ordinary, no on wants to be known as the guy with the high tech monocle.

3. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I cannot imagine how small a computer will get in 2 years considering the rate we are going.

I cannot imagine where we are planning to wear them besides wrist, arm, or google style ::shivers::, on the eye. Wow but hitting a billion in 2 years, I guess I can see that now that I have considered that he already have it. It is reasonable to see it go that far. I wonder how many people will shift from one thing to another and how many of the people that consume will be new.

4. Trechie

Trechie TS Rookie

You will become one with the Google. Resistance is futile.

Uvindu, VitalyT and gamoniac like this.
  5. ikesmasher

in soviet internet, clothes wear you

Uvindu likes this.
  6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,452   +562

That's all fine and dandy until some pesky little troglodyte injects a little individuality into the Google collective.

Trechie likes this.
  7. On the darker side:
    So far the annoyance was that people are wired, put earplugs on so they can't hear others shouting their name. Still had the option to wave to get their attention.

Now they'll be wearing this glasses too and won't see one waving either.

Trechie likes this.
  8. Ithryl

Ithryl TS Rookie Posts: 53

Or they'll see G+ notification that someone's waving at them, and if the person is in their contacts, then maybe even his name. :p

9. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

Wearable computing is ok once you iron the bugs out - when I first tried it, I kept bumping into things, but found that if you pop a couple of blanks out of the expansion bay, you can see quite well.

Zoltan Head likes this.
  10. Uvindu

Uvindu TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

And don't forget the option to remotely take control over his body and wave back! ;)

11. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +731

Considering the only place I see people wearing Bluetooth headsets is Walmart, I don't really expect this technology to be any cooler.

12. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

LOL - Silly Billy! ;)

13. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

I see a lot of people Borg'd up with little blue lights while driving, too. It's simply practical and doesn't put you out of touch with the environment. VR glasses woihile driving would be pretty dangerous, but as heads-up displays they'd make sense.

14. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Maniac Posts: 546

$800 million this year... I don't know of anyone with one of these devices. I am confused am I missing something!?

15. ikesmasher

its referring to watches and nike fitness stuff, etc etc.

16. Each driving category will have a subcategory indicating the ability of the driver to wear those 'glasses'.
    Basically, If you wear these 'glasses', you'll need a new driving license.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.