Website won't open in Firefox or IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Sorry if this isn't in the correct forum, I'm not sure if I have a virus or just connectivity problems but I'm hoping someone can help.

This has only been happening today and I haven't installed/done anything differently overnight so I can't figure out what the problem is.

Basically, there is just one website (www . ukmix . org) that I visit daily and now I can't access it on Firefox (3.5.3) or IE (8). The page goes to load and then after approx 15 seconds I get the following message for Firefox:

Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www . ukmix . org.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www . example . com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

And for IE it says: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

The frustrating thing is that every other person I have spoken to who uses this site is having no problem accessing it at all, it just seems to be me. And this is the only website I am having trouble with.

I have tried clearing the cache, cookies, history etc. on the Firefox and IE and have also tried scanning with McAfee which has come up with nothing. I have re-connected to my wireless network half a dozen times and restarted my PC but nothing is working.

Please help!

Okay, the site loads fin- I know you're tired of hearing that! But it means there is something blocking it on your browsers.

First, If you have a firewall, make sure there is no block in for this site.
Second, check the blocked sites in both browsers:
Firefox: Tools> Options> Privacy> Cookies> Exceptions> make sure ukmix isn't blocked in this section.
Look in any other section that has 'Exception' and make sure the site doesn't have a block.

IE: Tools> Internet Options> Security> Restricted Zone> Sites> make sure ukmix isn't listed here.

My bet would be a firewall. IF you have one, temporarily disable it and see if you can connect. If you can, then you need to find where the gremlin blocked it and fix it!

Thank you for your response, I have tried again this morning before looking at your post and I am now able to access the site as usual - I have no idea how but it seems the problem has resolved itself! :confused:

Thanks anyway, I'll be sure to try your method if it happens again! :grinthumb

Thank you for the update. If could be something as simple as a reboot! But we all have little creatures I call 'gremlins' that go around the system, blocking sites and people without asking us! 'Block Sender' is something that appears mysteriously often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back