TechSpot

Weekend game deals: 66-75% off Syndicate, The Darkness II, Batman

By Matthew
Jun 8, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Assuming you can break away from Diablo III and Max Payne 3, there are plenty of deals to be had this weekend, including steep discounts on Darksiders, Syndicate, The Darkness...

Read the whole story

2. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 560   +104

I look at these every week and always wonder why Origin hardly has any discounted sales. I found this on another site and found it mildly amusing:

"In particular, DeMartini (Senior VP of Global E-Commerce for EA) takes issue with Steam's frequent software sales, in which even A-list titles can be bought for deep discounts. It's something gamers love, and DeMartini loathes.

"I just think it cheapens your intellectual property," DeMartini told GamesIndustry.

DeMartini said he understands why Steam does it -- "to sell a whole bunch of units" -- but he wants no part of that business model. He compared Steam to retail giant Target and said Origin is aiming to be more like Nordstrom. He was quick to clarify that items will go on sale "occasionally" at Origin, but don't expect deep discounts for 75 percent off.

Expanding on why he feels the way he does, DeMartini said that Steam's business model teaches gamers not to purchase titles in the first month, and instead wait four or five months for a big sale everyone knows is on the horizon."

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/head_ea_origin_rages_against_steam_sales_model

3. That's a great reason not to by Origin games and I don't. Besides, Steam just gets it. It's not about them (Valve), it's about thee consumer.

4. Well, if I had to buy games on day 1 and pay full price, I would be bankrupt in no time or consider pirating my games instead.

Steam sales keep me spending. I think Mr DeMartini there need to go back to college and take that Marketing 101 class again.

5. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 87

I really like this articles about game deals, keep it up techspot :)

6. don't like articles about game deals - give it up, techspot!

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,924   +373

so, he just admitted at origin that he wants people to pay as much as humanly possible and he doesnt think making people happy is a good thing.

I mean, we all already knew that, its just funny to hear him admit it.

8. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Enthusiast Posts: 132   +17

Steam gives me the option to get a game that I may not had interest in when it was $59.99. When ever I want a game it doesn't matter whether it's a day one purchase or it's 2 months later. Origin has no clue on what gamers want. Getting them at a lower price doesn't cheapen the product, Valve is a pioneer, origin is crappy copy and a poor one at that.

9. He had a point about not buying games in the first three months if you will see it half price later, or at 10 like arkaham city. Other wise only fans of the games would buy the games at full price on release. Or if it is Crap of Cuy or Halolololol

10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

I already bought the humble bundle, and when I got the email about the latest additions, I was pleasantly surprised! An epic bundle

11. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

If Demartini wants to be more like Nordstrom then he has to start selling higher quality stuff. You can't sell target goods at Nordstrom prices and blame the customer for "cheapening" the product.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.