Weekend game deals: GTA IV $5, BF3 $20, Bastion $3.74

By Matthew
Nov 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. On the heels of Game Informer's GTA V cover reveal, a handful of distributors are offering GTA IV for $5. Elsewhere, you'll find half off Sleeping Dogs, 75% off Serious Sam titles as well as a Veteran's Day sale at...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,230   +314

Not that I need another game to play, but has anyone played "Sleeping Dogs?" Is it any good?
  3. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TechSpot Member Posts: 96   +9

yes its a nice game to play
  4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,020   +83 Staff Member

I didn't want to include this in the actual post, but if you're willing to jump through a few hoops (activating a Steam key through a Russian VPN, namely) you can get Borderlands 2 for $19 from G2Play.
    NTAPRO likes this.
  5. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TechSpot Booster Posts: 206   +38

One of the best games of 2012.
  6. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I'm surprised you guys never mentioned CD Key websites before.

For the uninitiated:

All purchases are legitimate. The business itself is legitimate; they buy the keys from retailers themselves. Since there's no middleman, no shop, packaging, etc., you get steep savings.

For instance, I buy all my games from here. You don't download the game from their website, they simply provide the CD key. Origin or Steam let you redeem said CD key after downloading the game from them.

:)
  7. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,020   +83 Staff Member

lawfer Although they're legitimate, the ones I've come across often have some kind of catch involved for the best deals, such as the use of a VPN for registration as mentioned above. Some also have less-than-comforting terms of services, though I guess you're pretty boned when it comes to refunds across most digital distributors. Additionally, their promotions fluctuate quickly in price and availability. Borderlands 2's price has dropped by a buck at G2Play since I mentioned it earlier**. It might go up $5 tomorrow -- if it's even still discounted. Mainline distributors are simply more reliable in this way.

**Edit: Actually, it hasn't dropped. I thought it was $20 earlier, but it was $19 and it's still $19. Anyhow, the point remains: G2Play's pricing is all over the map (they include pricing trends on each product page if you're interested).

It's also worth noting that in many cases, the best deals on sites like G2Play tend to be preorders, while the rest of their offers are pretty lame. Just for example, scrolling through CDKeysHere's Steam section, almost all of the "sale" items are underwhelming. AvP is $10 when it's commonly reduced to $5, while Napoleon: Total War, Supreme Commander 2, Dawn of War 2, Black Ops, Dead Island, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dungeon Siege 3, Dirt Showdown, F.E.A.R. 3 and just about all the other discounts are priced two or three times higher than they might be during a promotion on Steam or its rivals.

That isn't to say there aren't gems. Borderlands 2 and Skyrim are $20 (though the latter is a Russian key), while an Assassin's Creed III preorder is $25.99. Again, it's just that the factors above make them less ideal for our deal roundup. I still check them regularly for the heck of it, and you guys are always welcome to plug whatever in the comments.
  8. SalaSSin

SalaSSin TechSpot Member Posts: 87   +26

Well, a big thanks to Matthew & lawfer for providing me with a great way to lose less money when preordering :)

Thanks guys!
  9. Ahmed90

Since I am online games CD key store owner my self

buying CDkeys is cheaper and sometimes way faster than ordering the psychical version of games or even the digital
    we had MoH:WF keys delivered a week before release day and it was cheaper than origin it self

also btw g2play was caught selling stolen CoD4 keys like a year ago (as reported on TEK-9)
  10. In defence of g2play, I don't know about the stolen cod4 keys, but I bought one and had no problem, algo bought a couple of other games without problem and a mw3 rusian vpn and still is running normal in multiplayer. Of course there is always a chance of lossing a diferent region key, but the prices are very tempting.
  11. Ahmed90

ye I didnt say all there keys were stolen but there was a time thy did it maybe thy didn't know or got scamed by supplier who knows
  12. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I respectfully disagree. Refunds are non-existent in digital distributions (which you pointed out), so I don't see how that can be a knock on the site.

On cdkeyshere, everyday prices don't fluctuate. Can't say much about other websites though. Even if some of them did, overall prices would still be considerably less than retail (which you again mentioned), so I'm having a hard time knocking them for that also.

No argument here. I do find, however, that their regular everyday prices are lower than Steam's regular everyday prices. Steam's sales, on the other hand, are pretty much unbeatable.

I see no problems with that. That Assassin's Creed III pre-order is a steal!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.