TechSpot

Weekend Open Forum: Do you prefer single or multiplayer gaming?

By Shawn Knight
May 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The video game industry as a whole has evolved more than I could have ever imagined since I got started with the NES back in the mid 1980s. Back then the concept of multiplayer didn’t even exist. If you wanted...

Read more

2. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +99

Multiplayer without a doubt, single player gets done and dusted once completed (unless few certain games).

FLWrd and TheDreams like this.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,369   +405

Single. Although it's fun to play along with others at times, trying to get a good group together and find the right times to play can be a royal pain. And don't even get me started on what a nightmare MMORPG's can be with cheaters and grief players. I just want to click the game icon and go at my own pace.

SalaSSin, R6exR6, hammer2085 and 2 others like this.
  4. If it aint got multiplayer or co op.. I don't buy it ...

AI is bawls..

5. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

Single.

6. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Booster Posts: 283   +40

Single Player hands down. Multiplayer is boring, monotonous and never ending. Although some people like it for the infinite amount of play time. The thing is, games are remembered for how great the storylines are, Half Life for example, whereas games like CoD and Battlefield's reputations are only going down the drain.

But like always, there are exceptions to this rule - AI algorithms can never live up to the creativity and unpredictability of a human player. Games like Little Big Planet, League of Legends, and RTS/RTT, where there is a distinctive way in which an AI will move, and a human will move.

Multiplayer shooters are boring and monotonous and completely lost innovation.

JC713 likes this.
  7. Alpha Gamer

Alpha Gamer TS Booster Posts: 260   +48

Single player, any day of the week. Unless it's a game in which single and multiplayer can blend seamlessly, like the one designed for Dark Souls.

ETF Soldier likes this.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,242   +1,549

I prefer single but over the last few years I have been introduced to multi-player games and slowly getting used to them as well. Even with the multi-player games, I tend to stick to myself though.

9. pmkrefeld

pmkrefeld TS Member Posts: 44

I think this a really unappropriate question, on the same level with ati vs nvidia, bf vs cod, porsche vs ferrari and so on......

ETF Soldier likes this.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,242   +1,549

It's not inappropriate to ask people which one they prefer. It's not as if the question was which one is best.

BlueDrake and hahahanoobs like this.
  11. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 907   +54

I find as I've gotten older I've found I enjoy co-op more than single player.

SantistaUSA likes this.

12. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

All the multiplayer games out there, it's hard to not like those as that's been the main selling point for nearly all of them the past few years. I do get mad when I come across a very good racing game that's single player -_- (nfs hot pursuit(2010).

"Multiplayer shooters are boring and monotonous and completely lost innovation."
    Don't be jelly because you do so poorly :p

SantistaUSA likes this.
  13. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Addict Posts: 1,001   +103

Online Multiplayer and Co-op Multiplayer.
    I prefer online MP because you are against actual people and not AI. And for the stats and rankings.

14. pieceofSchmitt

pieceofSchmitt TS Rookie

What happened to weekend game deals?

danhodge likes this.
  15. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 747   +235

Single player 75% of the time, co-op the rest (that includes MMOs). I don't even comprehend the PvP mindset.

CorvusCorax likes this.
  16. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 184   +39

Single player, turn based or pause, cheats, etc...too hard for the slow synapses otherwise.

CorvusCorax likes this.
  17. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 892   +172

I play MMO's the majority of time. So, I guess both? Seeing as I usually play by myself aside from endgame content.

18. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 983   +89

Single-Player and MMO PvE.

I enjoy the story telling side of gaming. How it's like controlling a movie.

19. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,434   +499 Staff Member

Multiplayer for sure. For some reason I feel like I am wasting time when I try and play a single player game. Maybe its because I enjoy multiplayer games with friends so it incorporates game play with socializing ;)

20. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 982   +123

I like multiplayer because it doesn't seem as strange when I start yelling profanity.

SalaSSin and FLWrd like this.
  21. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,482   +233

I prefer single player. It doesn't mean I won't ever play multiplayer. It only means I prefer single.

22. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 567   +105

The writer has been under the weather an not been able to write and post them. They will come back when he is feeling better.

Secondly I prefer single player but dabble in a couple MMOs.

23. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

24. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 530   +88

Both. It's important for a game to have both singleplayer and online play to attract me fully, unless it's CS of course.

25. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I prefer single layer or coop play. It would be magic if more developers created coop campaigns that rivaled some of the best single player. An experience that dynamically could handle multiple characters. Left 4 Dead moves into that direction. It would be great to have a fantasy game of the same ilk.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.