Weekend Open Forum: Hobbies away from the PC

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The fact that you're visiting a site named TechSpot is indicative of your passion for technology and if you're anything like me, you probably spend more time online than you do sleeping. Between work and play, it's not uncommon for me to spend upwards of 12 hours a day online -- including mealtimes.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every second in front of the PC, but it's refreshing to step away once in a while. Besides the usual family matters, I regularly exercise with kettlebells and I recently took up lockpicking as a side hobby. What do you do when you're not ogling graphics cards or lurking on forums?

Image courtesy of xkcd

Permalink to story.

With the weather getting nicer I'll probably spend my weekends mountain biking.

I have a model railroad as a hobby that I can control using my eee touch pc through my wireless network. So I guess I can?t get away from computers altogether no matter what I do as a hobby.

Trout fishing and fresh water fishing in general on streams and creeks.

Working out almost daily with weights with plenty of cardio -- yes, I consider this a hobby. When the weather gets nice riding my ten-speed for fun and cardio.

Reading on a myriad of subjects. And, no, I don't have a Kindle, etc. Give me the printed word in a book or in a magazine.

Reading minidump files at TechSpot. :D

* By the way Matthew, I've tried those kettlebells and once in awhile I will work them in my regular routine. They are a great workout! We have one trainer at my gym who specializes in them.

Is it just me... or does it seem like just with this little bit of information, everyone who comments on TechSpot just got a lot more interesting? We all just seem... more human?

I go Slot Car Racing ! Its a great hobby. It used to be big back in the 70,s. Its making a little bit of a comeback these days. There are more and more tracks popping up.

Is it just me... or does it seem like just with this little bit of information, everyone who comments on techspot just got a lot more interesting? We all just seem... more human?

Because I like to cook in my spare, non-computer time, I'm more interesting and human?

In my spare time I repair cars and trucks, from clutches, struts, axles, timing belts, rack and pinion, brakes to head gasket replacement. It's a hobby because I don't charge labor, just parts. As a result, I have a professional sized tool collection. So when I see toolless computer cases, I think why would I want one of those? :)

I also attend a few NASCAR races. Just Fontana, California and Indianapolis, Indiana.

Although I've gotten away from it recently, I used to alpine ski throughout the western U.S. and at a few resorts in western Canada.

I DJ (beat matching/mixing) house music.. but not that has come to involve computers too.. so not really truly away from PC, but certainly a non-typical use.. TechSpot crew always welcome to come listen.. I do my show Tuesdays CST 8pm-10pm on http:/pressureradio.com Deep/soulful mostly, but I do branch off to some latin and tribal influenced tracks.. It's not everyone's bag, but it's me :)

I race cars,drink, and fondle women...but....I have weekends off!

* 'Arthur' 1981 Orion Pictures

Hmmm, I cook, draw, go rock climbing, or snowboarding if its in winter.... or just go out to do photography of landscapes and architecture :D

Drink beer. Chase women. Watch TV. Go to college.

Every other week there seems to be some kind of family get together, birthdays etc.

Sometimes I go camping and fishing.

Back