How often do you clean your computer?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As the resident “computer guy” for friends and family, it goes without saying that I’ve seen my fair share of PCs over the past 10 years or so. The majority of systems that find their way to me require a simple virus or malware scan to rectify the situation but every now and again I come across a computer that simply needs to be physically cleaned out with compressed air.

The attached photo shows the inside of a power supply in a system someone brought over several years ago. The owner told me that the system would blue screen after being powered on for a few minutes. Upon removing the side panel to have a look inside, I noticed the heatsink fan wasn’t spinning – it was so clogged with dust / dirt / nicotine tar that it had seized up.

Working on neglected computers like this serves as a good reminder that it’s probably time to check on the hardware in my own system. Years ago before I had a dedicated system for component testing, I was tinkering with hardware in my system every other week so dust was not an issue. But now that I rarely open my work system, it’s certainly something I’m more aware of.

With this week’s Weekend Open Forum, we want to know how often you crack open your desktop chassis to give your hardware a good once-over with some compressed air. We look forward to hearing from you in the comments below!

Permalink to story.

I don't use dust filters on any of the fans on my rig because they restrict airflow way too much. So on average I need to clean it once a month.

i've recently noticed a decreased frame rate when logging into an MMO (runescape) could this be due to dust? I plan to clean out my computer once i get home shortly, but by god since it's a dell I cant manage to get the fan off the heat sink, its clipped on with 4 VERY stiff clips, one which i've broke over the years attempting to get it off.

on a side note, I've ordered a faster graphic's card recently which should be here soon.

I have no rugs in my computer area. Rugs can be a big generator of particles inside a desktop.
I check for dust about every 9 months of use.

I typically clean my main work system every six months or so. The system in the bedroom for media hasn't been cleaned since I put it in there a year ago.

I use laptops and know they are ready when I notice the fans... I use my compressor to blow out the dust, I'm always surprised by how bad they get as they are stood on a desk not the floor.

after about every 3-6 months or so i clean up my pc-system. Their is almost no difference between the temps with or without filters. So i opted to use the filters. I don't have to clean my pc every 3 weeks because removing things frequently might damage componts through wear

Every 3 months I give it a full scrub down. Every last inch either dusted, wiped or gassed. Every other week, I give the filters a quick dusting.

Turns out, a dry, soft-bristled paint brush is perfect for cleaning filters.

I cleaned my pc if I noticed there's dust building inside it... to reduce the numbers of cleaning my pc I just make I place my pc in a room where I specialized it to place my pc and I make sure the room is always clean and free of dust

I clean my dust filters on my gaming rig about once every month, the inside is still mostly dust free since I built it. Might have to clean the inside once every 12 months or so.

I clean basically every 3-4 months- clean the filters every week. Used to clean on a 1-2 month basis until I started using a better grade of aftermarket filtration - DemciFlex.

Water loops generally get stripped/flushed every six months.

I have the Lian Li PC-P80 Armor Suit with three 140mm fans in front. Even with the removable dust screen in front, I have to sweep and blow out my machine every two weeks or so. It is so dusty here in SoCal.

I bought a little handheld 1 gallon Craftsman shopvac and I can sweep with one end and put the hose on the exhaust to blow out my fans and case crevices...

Every 3 months if I can, simple dusting. Flush my wc loop about every 4-7 months I'd say.

I don't recommend anyone to try this on anything electronic, luls

I have my desktop pretty well sealed except for the intakes which all have filters. I clean the filters about once a month and take the doors off for a full cleaning about once a year.

dividebyzero said:
I clean basically every 3-4 months- clean the filters every week. Used to clean on a 1-2 month basis until I started using a better grade of aftermarket filtration - DemciFlex.

Water loops generally get stripped/flushed every six months.

i used the demcifilters on my raidmax smilodon case for a straight year without having to clean till i just recently moved to a cm storm trooper. im sure it was a bit restricting but well worth keeping all that dust off my rig

I should clean it once i month i usually clean mine every 6 months but I think its been closer to a year iv been busy\lazy.

I clean my computer every 3-6 months, only because it's a gaming PC, and is hard to clean. Any other computers or servers I have I clean every 3-4 months.

When I retire the 'Power station', my daughters acrylic clad gamer, ya'll better dump any Ultra duster stock you may have. The 932 is a can of air a week, The Cosmos II looks like a quick blast of the filters weekly, not much gets by them as far as the inside.

Honestly, if I have it open for some reason, I take a vacuum to it, otherwise I don't.
I really wish I had gotten a case with fan filters. That will be a requirement for any future builds.

Honestly, if I have it open for some reason, I take a vacuum to it, otherwise I don't.
I really wish I had gotten a case with fan filters. That will be a requirement for any future builds.

You just have to make sure you don't get your heat-sink caught in the roller.:p

Every sunday. Then once in every two months i completely strip it properly clean it. She runs like a beautie.

Back