Weekend Open Forum: How will Trump's presidency affect the tech world?

midian182

Staff member

Whatever your opinion of the man, and despite the allegations of Russia’s involvement, Donald Trump is the 45th President of the United states. But throughout his campaign, the Republican made a number of statements that have worried tech fans.

Apart from Twitter, Trump doesn’t seem to care much for the internet and has called for tighter controls and regulations, which are often euphemisms for government spying. He also wants to bring iPhone manufacturing back to the US, which could see the price of the handsets increase, and has threatened a trade war with China. There’s also the matter of that Muslim registry.

For this Weekend Open Forum, we’re asking what effect you think Trump’s Presidency will have on tech users and companies. Are you planning on being more cautious with your online activities now he’s president? Will his policies see the price of goods drastically increase, or maybe even decrease? Could he give the US tech economy a boost? 

Whatever your thoughts on Trump and his policies, let us know in the comments below. 

Permalink to story.

And here I was thinking this was a tech website, not yet another feeder to the regressive liberal agenda like Extreme tech is.. here's a thought; instead of guessing at shite, why not wait to hear what they are looking at doing, then ask. He's said a lot of things that he's admitted were hyperbole , just to gauge the populations reactions..

And here I was thinking this was a tech website, not yet another feeder to the regressive liberal agenda like Extreme tech is.. here's a thought; instead of guessing at shite, why not wait to hear what they are looking at doing, then ask. He's said a lot of things that he's admitted were hyperbole , just to gauge the populations reactions..

Never let the truth get in the way of a juicy piece of propaganda...

As one who believes in the ideals of Conservatism, I really hope that Trump will be the second coming of Ronald Reagan like many seem to believe.

As a registered Libertarian, I have to temper my optimism. It goes without saying that Hillary WAS NOT going to decrease the size of Government. Either way...

Your liberal tears are as an oasis to me after days of wandering in the Sahara and your moans are a sweeter melody than Beethoven or Mozart's finest.

As one who believes in the ideals of Conservatism, I really hope that Trump will be the second coming of Ronald Reagan like many seem to believe.

As a registered Libertarian, I have to temper my optimism. It goes without saying that Hillary WAS NOT going to decrease the size of Government. Either way...

Your liberal tears are as an oasis to me after days of wandering in the Sahara and your moans are a sweeter melody than Beethoven or Mozart's finest.
The sahara is getting snow this year. I think at one time it rained there as they have arabica coffee beans. I've seen dry ice dropped to cool the midwest too. If you know how a refrigerator works, it nets heat, so I wonder where the heat goes. One of these ice houses is located in willowbrook, il, next to darien where I lived. Since the pacific ocean is nuked from fukashima in asia, better surf the great lakes, and you really can. By the way, the temp. today in darien, il is 44 in january.

If he can bring manufacturing back to the us, I wonder if he can bring back morals and honesty to Comcast.

Nah, jk, it's too hard to bring Comcast back from the brink, even for Trump - Comcast will still be one of the most hated companies in 2020 lmao.Oh well, at least key players like the UK and us aren't controlled by leaders who are 60 and 70 years old & can barely touch type!

Oh sh*t!

Don't forget that all the smart people that make the tech industry go, and are stupid rich because of it, will not sit idly by and have it destroyed by any one without a fight. Completely opposite from my view of T.Rump, I believe his peculiar methodology is effective at doing good for the economy. His ego has a net effect. I'm in the metal market and have seen it happening week over week, month over month. Hopefully the trend continues and the market returns to all time highs. The silver lining, it exists.

I assume you are kidding.... You know his appointment to the FCC said he will end net neutrality, allow the cable companies to throttle and put out of business competitors.

It will run downhill from the bosses and power players. If the boss has balls, it will be fine

Trump names Rudy Giuliani as cybersecurity adviser. Don't worry Rudy is older then Trump. No this is not a joke but it is lol.

That wouldn't be surprising at all. He already appointed the foreclosure master to head the treasury and a man who studied animal husbandry in college to head the department of energy. Trump says he appoints the "smartest" people but then we constantly hear things like "oh, I had know idea this department does thing like this" from his cabinet appointments.

First thing he does in office? Declares war on the environment and regulations because they get in the way of business. Yeah, well that cyanide from your mining gets in the way of people drinking their water and that factory smog gets in the way of people breathing.

Trump names Rudy Giuliani as cybersecurity adviser. Don't worry Rudy is older then Trump. No this is not a joke but it is lol.

That wouldn't be surprising at all. He already appointed the foreclosure master to head the treasury and a man who studied animal husbandry in college to head the department of energy. Trump says he appoints the "smartest" people but then we constantly hear things like "oh, I had know idea this department does thing like this" from his cabinet appointments.

First thing he does in office? Declares war on the environment and regulations because they get in the way of business. Yeah, well that cyanide from your mining gets in the way of people drinking their water and that factory smog gets in the way of people breathing.
You must be one of those crying liberals and progressives that are intending an evil take over of the world through the EPA.

Happy to meet you!

With people on this site p!ssing all over the extra pennies they pay for de-sulfured diesel and no-lead gas, I have to wonder if they have ever thought of how large their and their loved ones medical bills would be without these controls. Certainly MUCH larger than the few extra pennies they pay at the pump.

It was within the past few months that science, a bad word in their world, figured out what caused some 10,000 people to die within something like four days in the 1950s London due to smog.Sh!t, they think deaths in Chicago are bad and Chicago needs law and order. Well, the deaths in Chicago were nothing even remotely near the death rate in London at that time due to the smog. Estimated to be on the order of 10,000 in four fricken days, and Chicago deaths are bad? Yes, they are, but not that bad. If that death rate had kept up for the entire year, some 900,000 people would have died that year in London alone - not from violence, but from air pollution - SMOG.

Science, oops, bad word, figured out it was the sulfur in the atmosphere in a form that turned into sulfuric acid in the lungs of the people breathing the air. Yes, we all die sometime, but that seems a particularly horrible way to die where your lungs dissolve due to the most basic thing that humans do to live - breathing. WTF? Who needs clean air anyway; it costs too much - is their cry.

And oh, by the way, those same science people say that the conditions are ripe for that to happen in China right now.

But I guess most of the people on this site are not old enough to remember the smog in LA and New York City in the 1970s. Not to mention the severely polluted rivers in the US at that time, yes, the US. If it were not for the EPA, pollution would likely be as serious in the US NOW as it is in China NOW.

They cry that net neutrality is yet another example of a nanny nation; however, when net neutrality is abandoned, and ISPs find themselves even more able to screw their subscribers and avoid upgrading infrastructure, I bet the have an absolute fit when the cost of such controls are passed on to them right along with one of the known already to be slowest and highest cost internet service in the world. And yes, this is all for the good in their eyes.

But perhaps this is what is needed.

WTF - this is likely the only way that some will learn that not everyone in this world are just like their good neighbors, and, in fact, give many people the chance, and they will surely screw whomever they can just to make a quick buck. Hell, Trump is doing it himself in refusing to pay workers for work done. And the poor deluded conservatives think that he is mr honesty and tells it like it is when he really just tells them what he thinks they want to hear to manipulate them and get them to vote for him.

Rather than label terrorism terrorism, he labels it Radical Islamic Terrorism to placate those christians who think that their faith is in jeopardy because some dude wears a turbin. Perhaps those same christians should unbury the book of Amos.

But, I've gotten off topic.

As I see it, IMO, I think it is likely that technology will be sent back to the dark ages during its presidency. Science is a bad word to 45, and unfortunately technology and science are inseparable.

Last edited:

You must be one of those crying liberals and progressives that are intending an evil take over of the world through the EPA.

Happy to meet you!

With people on this site p!ssing all over the extra pennies they pay for de-sulfured diesel and no-lead gas, I have to wonder if they have ever thought of how large their and their loved ones medical bills would be without these controls. Certainly MUCH larger than the few extra pennies they pay at the pump.

It was within the past few months that science, a bad word in their world, figured out what caused some 10,000 people to die within something like four days in the 1950s London due to smog.Sh!t, they think deaths in Chicago are bad and Chicago needs law and order. Well, the deaths in Chicago were nothing even remotely near the death rate in London at that time due to the smog. Estimated to be on the order of 10,000 in four fricken days, and Chicago deaths are bad? Yes, they are, but not that bad. If that death rate had kept up for the entire year, some 900,000 people would have died that year in London alone - not from violence, but from air pollution - SMOG.

Science, oops, bad word, figured out it was the sulfur in the atmosphere in a form that turned into sulfuric acid in the lungs of the people breathing the air. Yes, we all die sometime, but that seems a particularly horrible way to die where your lungs dissolve due to the most basic thing that humans do to live - breathing. WTF? Who needs clean air anyway; it costs too much - is their cry.

And oh, by the way, those same science people say that the conditions are ripe for that to happen in China right now.

But I guess most of the people on this site are not old enough to remember the smog in LA and New York City in the 1970s. Not to mention the severely polluted rivers in the US at that time, yes, the US. If it were not for the EPA, pollution would likely be as serious in the US NOW as it is in China NOW.

They cry that net neutrality is yet another example of a nanny nation; however, when net neutrality is abandoned, and ISPs find themselves even more able to screw their subscribers and avoid upgrading infrastructure, I bet the have an absolute fit when the cost of such controls are passed on to them right along with one of the known already to be slowest and highest cost internet service in the world. And yes, this is all for the good in their eyes.

But perhaps this is what is needed.

WTF - this is likely the only way that some will learn that not everyone in this world are just like their good neighbors, and, in fact, give many people the chance, and they will surely screw whomever they can just to make a quick buck. Hell, Trump is doing it himself in refusing to pay workers for work done. And the poor deluded conservatives think that he is mr honesty and tells it like it is when he really just tells them what he thinks they want to hear to manipulate them and get them to vote for him.

Rather than label terrorism terrorism, he labels it Radical Islamic Terrorism to placate those christians who think that their faith is in jeopardy because some dude wears a turbin. Perhaps those same christians should unbury the book of Amos.

But, I've gotten off topic.

As I see it, IMO, I think it is likely that technology will be sent back to the dark ages during its presidency. Science is a bad word to 45, and unfortunately technology and science are inseparable.

Trump has no problem with real science. Its the JUNK science driven by political agendas that he has a problem with, as should anyone with a brain.

Trump has no problem with real science. Its the JUNK science driven by political agendas that he has a problem with, as should anyone with a brain.

I think you mean real science that supports his agenda. The dude has to insult anyone who makes a quip on twitter and shut down the NPA's twitter on his first day as president for showing attendance of the park used for the inauguration being MUCH lower than obama's. Yep, that's right, even for emergency purposes they cannot send out messages. People said give him a chance and he is already proving to be as thin skinned as billed.

You want junk science driven by political agenda? Go look at any "Obama deficit" information provided by fox. They get their statistics from a firm solely funded by republicans.

I feel sorry for all of you that blindly follow the left or the right. I know thinking for yourself is harder then parroting your favorite news network but try it sometime.

90's equal ~ no deficit.
00's equal 10 trillion
08-16 equal 20 trillion.
92-16 represent a relative balance among conservative and liberal majority congresses (who pay the bills)

the rhetoric is fun, but whoever delivers the next dot com will have my vote forever, else it's just the same ol' rhetoric.
If president Tweet manages that, my concerns about international laughter @ famous gaffs go away.
Else, it's Ron again, and not in a good way (sorry the reference will be lost on many).

Back