Weekend Open Forum: Most memorable gaming cheat codes

Jos

Cheating is without a doubt one of the most maligned aspects of gaming. It makes us think of people who aren't willing to put in the effort necessary to beat a game fair and square. We’ll leave online cheating out the context of this ‘Weekend Open Forum’ as that raises an entirely new set of ethical questions – and let me just go on record and say I’m completely against it. But I’d be lying to you if I said I’ve never used a code myself to get past a frustratingly difficult level or just for the heck of playing as an unstoppable killing machine.

The fact is developers have been building cheats directly into their games for almost as long as video games themselves have existed. They may do so for testing purposes or perhaps to increase the title’s replay value. Some of them are not even designed to give the player an advantage in the game, but rather make it more challenging by making enemies tougher, and some can add a whole new element to gameplay by giving users unusual skills such as the ability to walk through walls or allowing them to modify their character in terms of appearance.

Nowadays it’s easy to jump online and find a cheat within minutes, but there was a time when you’d had to wait months for your favorite games magazine to come out with it, and usually the codes involved entering a complicated sequence of buttons on a game controller. Today we want to hear about those codes that stuck to your memory over the years -- or maybe some that were so ridiculous that you’ll have to Google them. I’ll just mention an obvious one and a more obscure one to get the conversation started: IDDQD for Godmode in Doom II (PC) and pressing B thirteen times while rotating the D-pad 360 degrees clockwise during the match-up screen to get power dunks in NBA Jam (SNES).

Permalink to story.

(Genesis) Sonic the Hedgehog
up,down,left,right,A+start unlocks all levels if memory serves.

Game:
Carmageddon 1 1997
Cheat code:
Super turbo Car -- Type: SOAPY TIT WANKS

..Well actually everyone of the cheat codes for that game were outrageous...like this one:
Blind pedestrians -- Type: HAMSTER SEX

and if your remember carmageddon this guy is remaking it in XNA with physx:
http://blog.1amstudios.com/

It's not a cheat but I remember when playing Dragon Spirit for NES, there was an alternate dragon (the gold dragon) and the story changes as well.

cyrusjumpjet said:
up-up-down-down-..... well, you know the rest. ;)

This has got to be the all time number one cheat code. I can start saying this code around any old school gamer I know and they will finish it.

Hmmm...I don't know if I've ever used a cheat code, but have looked up walk-throughs on the Internet from time-to-time if I get really, REALLY stuck. I mean I'll put in several hours to try and figure out a problem before I'll look for help.

But I think the worst for me was Grim Fandango. It was such an abstract game with really bizarre puzzles, I just couldn't get most of it. Couldn't think outside of the box enough to play the game well. Remember having to jump on the Internet a number of times looking for help on that one.

Diablo Hacks: God Mode, Duplicating items using town portals. lol UP-UP...........is the most famous.
I never cheat in games, but it was so annoying to see others.

Right, Left, Down, Up, A, B = 10 lives in Super C (Since everyone got trumped with Cyrus's 30 lives cheat) :)

IDDQD is most memorable but next to that: It's Twisted Metal 2 for Playstation. Up Down Left Right Right Left Down Up while holding R1+R2+L1+L2 for god mode and/or R1+L1 for all machine guns, R2+L2 for all rockets. IDDQD immeadiatly came to mind while reading the article title, and sure enough there it was in the article. This made me remember the Twisted Metal 2 cheats. I had great fun playing that game as a kid.

The Descent series games had some memorable ones... like burgergod, Shananigans, ByeByeMonkey (a personal favorite since it enabled a chase cam)... oh yeah, SuperHiRes (enabled 1024x768 and 1280x1024 lol).

Has to be the PC version of the NES classic game "The New Zealand Story".

To get infinite lives: Pause the game and press "M". You will then hear a laser gun
sound. Then simply type "MOTHERF**KENKIWIB**TARDS" (fill in the stars...) and you get infinite lives!

Two come to my mind quick,

32167 dragons in Heroes of Might and Magic.

24328 on the fax machine to get more more money in Theme Hospital. Hospital internal speakers then states, "A cheater running the hospital" over and over :)

Back