Weekend Open Forum: Most memorable gaming cheat codes

By Jos
Oct 15, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Cheating is without a doubt one of the most maligned aspects of gaming. It makes us think of people who aren't willing to put in the effort necessary to beat a game fair and square. We’ll leave online cheating out the context of this ‘Weekend Open Forum’ as that raises an entirely new set of ethical questions – and let me just go on record and say I’m completely against it. But I’d be lying to you if I said I’ve never used a code myself to get past a frustratingly difficult level or just for the heck of playing as an unstoppable killing machine.

Read the whole story
  2. cyrusjumpjet

cyrusjumpjet TechSpot Member Posts: 93

up-up-down-down-..... well, you know the rest. ;)
  3. mtrenal

mtrenal Newcomer, in training Posts: 45

Allyourbasearebelongtous in about half of the RTS games on the market
  4. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616   +54

Metroid for NES: Justin Bailey
  5. (Genesis) Sonic the Hedgehog
    up,down,left,right,A+start unlocks all levels if memory serves.
  6. mccartercar

mccartercar Newcomer, in training Posts: 108   +15

Game:
    Carmageddon 1 1997
    Cheat code:
    Super turbo Car -- Type: SOAPY TIT WANKS

..Well actually everyone of the cheat codes for that game were outrageous...like this one:
    Blind pedestrians -- Type: HAMSTER SEX

and if your remember carmageddon this guy is remaking it in XNA with physx:
    http://blog.1amstudios.com/
  7. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,259   +41

up down left right x2 a start
  8. It's not a cheat but I remember when playing Dragon Spirit for NES, there was an alternate dragon (the gold dragon) and the story changes as well.
  9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

10. Psychodan

Psychodan Newcomer, in training

This has got to be the all time number one cheat code. I can start saying this code around any old school gamer I know and they will finish it.
  11. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,226   +314

Hmmm...I don't know if I've ever used a cheat code, but have looked up walk-throughs on the Internet from time-to-time if I get really, REALLY stuck. I mean I'll put in several hours to try and figure out a problem before I'll look for help.

But I think the worst for me was Grim Fandango. It was such an abstract game with really bizarre puzzles, I just couldn't get most of it. Couldn't think outside of the box enough to play the game well. Remember having to jump on the Internet a number of times looking for help on that one.
  12. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 115   +7

Diablo Hacks: God Mode, Duplicating items using town portals. lol UP-UP...........is the most famous.
    I never cheat in games, but it was so annoying to see others.
  13. myrmidonks

myrmidonks Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

I'd say rosebud;!;! etc. in The Sims

14. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,061   +68

Right, Left, Down, Up, A, B = 10 lives in Super C (Since everyone got trumped with Cyrus's 30 lives cheat) :)
  15. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,382   +15

IDDQD is most memorable but next to that: It's Twisted Metal 2 for Playstation. Up Down Left Right Right Left Down Up while holding R1+R2+L1+L2 for god mode and/or R1+L1 for all machine guns, R2+L2 for all rockets. IDDQD immeadiatly came to mind while reading the article title, and sure enough there it was in the article. This made me remember the Twisted Metal 2 cheats. I had great fun playing that game as a kid.
  16. motrin

motrin TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 149

twisted metal 4!!!

infinite specials! i used to have it memorized
  17. Rocket car from original Age of Empires: bigdaddy
  18. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194

Twisted metal 2!!!! OMG... what happened to that kid that I was? sniff... lol
  19. fish4specs

fish4specs Newcomer, in training Posts: 48

gabbagabbahey
  20. 2nd after IDDQD is
    Black Sheep Wall
  21. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 903   +36

The Descent series games had some memorable ones... like burgergod, Shananigans, ByeByeMonkey (a personal favorite since it enabled a chase cam)... oh yeah, SuperHiRes (enabled 1024x768 and 1280x1024 lol).
  22. Konami codes ftw!
  23. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,985   +66

24. Has to be the PC version of the NES classic game "The New Zealand Story".

To get infinite lives: Pause the game and press "M". You will then hear a laser gun
    sound. Then simply type "MOTHERF**KENKIWIB**TARDS" (fill in the stars...) and you get infinite lives!
  25. Swanen

Swanen Newcomer, in training

Two come to my mind quick,

32167 dragons in Heroes of Might and Magic.

24328 on the fax machine to get more more money in Theme Hospital. Hospital internal speakers then states, "A cheater running the hospital" over and over :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.