Weekend Open Forum: The best and worst of CES 2013

Matthew DeCarlo

And just like that, CES is over. Given the scale of the event, it's often used as a platform to reveal the world's most innovative gadgets, but it also manages to attract some pretty cringeworthy unveilings that wind up being a source of mockery for years -- try to sit through Qualcomm's keynote if you want a fine example of the latter:

Having received a glimpse at the technology industry's playbook for 2013, we're interested in hearing your thoughts on the best and the worst highlights of this year's show. Excited about anything in the pipeline? Hoping a certain trend doesn't catch on? Just want to say mean things for no particular reason? Have at it.

Permalink to story.

I saw a Geekbeat review (can't remember what it was called) where the iPhone case was touch sensitive. Very neat and if it does catch on they'll probably be put out of business in 5 years because mobile devices will start incorporating this mainstream. PSP Vita already does this.

All I basically got out of CES is alot of companies trying really hard to showcase stuff most people won't or can't buy. OLED tvs are cool but no one in their right mind is going to pay 9 grand for a 55 inch OLED tv just because its a 1/4 inch thick and brighter.

I think a lot of the stuff just doesn't translate well via pictures and write-ups unless you're there to see it and play with it first hand. With the exception of the 4000p TV's (of which we'll have to wait a decade for any media to be able to actually use it), I didn't see anything that I felt was personally appealing and noteworthy.

I'm excited about Swiftech's new H220 all in one cooler. According to them, it's both quieter and more effective than a H100i, and it can also be turned into an open-loop system (capable of pumping several more heatsinks/waterblocks). The new Ubuntu phone looks promising as well.

I'm sick of 4k TV's being put in the spotlight, they won't be a reasonable buy for years.

All I basically got out of CES is alot of companies trying really hard to showcase stuff most people won't or can't buy. OLED tvs are cool but no one in their right mind is going to pay 9 grand for a 55 inch OLED tv just because its a 1/4 inch thick and brighter.
Professional athletes would, but you're right... no one in their right mind. They weren't really a big deal this year though, they were at CES last year. The 4K televisions and curved displays were the focus this year.

OMG, like wow. I couldn't sit through more that a few minutes of the Qualcomm dreck. Haven't seen anything that juvenile and nauseating in a long time. I feel sorry for the people that had to sit though the whole "presentation". When that foolishness finally ended and the lights came up, everybody was probably in the fetal position sucking their thumbs.

These actors are so busy trying to be hip that I haven't heard one mention of the word Qualcomm. What were the script writers and Qualcomm thinking when they created this unwatchable crapfest?

4K wins? Good luck getting native 4K content.

And for that reason, I'm interested in Samsung's curved/flexible displays, and OLED TV's (when they drop in price, and they will).

4K wins? Good luck getting native 4K content.
I agree considering very few channels have their own HD channels as it is, let alone making the full jump to HD and offering it free. People who buy the 4K tvs will have to fork out another load of money to get 4K content.

The SteamBox prototype was a let down.

I'm excited about Swiftech's new H220 all in one cooler. According to them, it's both quieter and more effective than a H100i, and it can also be turned into an open-loop system (capable of pumping several more heatsinks/waterblocks). The new Ubuntu phone looks promising as well.

I'm sick of 4k TV's being put in the spotlight, they won't be a reasonable buy for years.

Open loop?? that is awesome! I didnt read about that. But yeah, 4K and OLED wont be viable for many years to come. It is like the transition from 720P to 1080P to LED. They were enourmously expensive, but within a year or 2 they dropped by about a $1000 due to next gen production.

Not sure how the SteamBox is ranking #2 on the poll.. It wasn't even the actual prototype and it was a letdown anyway.

Back