Weekend Open Forum: What if the Internet didn't exist?

By Julio Franco
Aug 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Have you ever wondered what would life be like if the Internet didn't exist? The Internet as we know it had its early development in the 1960s as a point-to-point…

Read the whole story
  2. chaboi390

chaboi390 Newcomer, in training Posts: 83

What if there is no internet?

Hmmm well, i wouldn't be able to type in "FIRST" in the comments :D
  3. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,846   +61

Al Gore's claim would be merely puzzling.
  4. I've worked in Dell for the last 17 years and without the internet Dell would probably not have grown as big as it did and I may have never have worked for them
  5. thewind

thewind Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

The world would implode!
  6. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 186

we would still have to get up at 6am and drive to a building to attend our jobs every day =_=
  7. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

There would be a whole lot of bored people to deal with.

And we all know what happens when a lot of people get bored, right?
  8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

If the internet didn't exist something equivalent would have been invented.
  9. bakape

bakape TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123

A new addictive drug perhaps - HTTP?
  10. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,983   +66

Internet never really influenced my career so I would still be doing exactly the same things in exactly the same sequence.

Now that out of the way, I think without internet

a) world's population growth rate would have been umm far greater :D
    b) we would still be playing games like Prince of Persia / Pac Man (and the likes)
    c) securing computers would not have been an issue like it is today
    d) we wouldn't have any open source stuff
    e) we wouldn't have facecook
    f) we (probably) wouldn't have any malware + spyware
    g) and importantly Obama would never have been able to become president :grinthumb
  11. yorro

yorro TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 241

Hint1: Just ask people who lived in the 80s.

Hint2: Its not anything like the dark ages.
  12. edison5do

edison5do Newcomer, in training Posts: 239

Add in Some FaceBook Pills, And MMORPG on Veins.!
  13. World would have been saved from Justin Bieber ;)

14. dedparrot

dedparrot Newcomer, in training Posts: 67

Without the internet, I'd be so stupid.
  15. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Guys would still know what a telefax is.
    Girls would still be told the virtue of making short telephone calls.
    Aliens would still think we're all *****s. ;)
  16. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TechSpot Booster Posts: 996   +36

without the internet... i'd have hobbies such as cycling, playing the guitar, wood crafting, metal fabrication...

now all i do is learn **** and play with computers... what good will this do me in life?! hahahah
  17. Easy, there would be someone else.
    cmolinap.
  18. M1r

M1r Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

Without the internet, I'd be stupid - I use the internet for like 90% of my research.
  19. When I think "the world without internet," I think broadband-internet. Before the broadband era, it really wasn't the internet as we know it today. It was an expensive, pay per minute luxury that few people could afford and only people who really needed it for job purposes had an internet connection. Gamers were still gathering for LAN parties at this point. Nobody I know does that anymore, apart from these massive anual events. I could say I remember a time when nobody knew what the internet was, but I can't say I remember it well. I was born in 1979, and I didn't get internet until around 2000 when broadband got big in Norway. Before that, it was all about the LAN parties. I got my first apartment when I was 19 and my friends lived at my place for weeks at a time. I was buying computer-magazines with attached discs to get patches for games. That's the world without internet. Lots of hazzle + squatters. If the internet never existed, I'd still have friends living at my place and we'd all still be virgins. :p
  20. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 989   +6

i agree with most people here. and then console and split-screen games would be popular.
  21. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 451   +33

Without internet game developers would have to finish the game properly before selling it to people.
  22. We'd still be typing in long code examples from magazines instead of downloading them from a website. Remember those code examples that covered multiple pages?? :)
  23. hitech0101

hitech0101 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 423   +19

A-holes like Mark Zuckerberg wouldnt be billionares & off course i would toast doing my college assignments without google books which i consider to be one of the biggest copyright breach in history, yup words of a hypocrite.
  24. Scrub206

Scrub206 Newcomer, in training

No internet?

i would probably be doing a little better at life...
  25. We'd be using pen and paper!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.