TechSpot

Weekend Open Forum: What kind of television do you have?

By Shawn Knight
Oct 5, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I recently had to replace the second-hand television in my bedroom. I'd purchased it from a friend a few years back after it developed a series of vertical lines on the right side of the screen and he no longer...

Read more

2. Kneep

Kneep TS Rookie Posts: 40

Living room - 65" Sharp LCD
    Den for computers- 37" LG LCD
    Bedroom - 52" Toshiba LCD

3. I don't own one. I don't see the purpose of a TV when there is nothing on but garbage anymore. I have found that I do a lot more reading, studying, music listening and research. There is a huge world out there besides the pathetic advertising and mindless sit-com and reality show drivel that is spoon fed to the masses. I watch my DVD collection on my laptop if I feel so inclined, but I definitely haven't felt the need to buy a big TV. I wouldn't use it.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,386   +425

LG 46" 1080p - have had it for two years and it's been a great TV. I don't see upgrading anytime soon (unless I move into a larger place and want to get a 60").

ASUS 27" 1920x1200 computer monitor.

5. ryanderson

ryanderson TS Rookie

Sony 55" LED, got the top of the line XBR so I didnt have to buy another one for years

6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Don't have one. Or particularly want one. Wife and I watch on an FPM connected to my computer, when we watch at all.

7. Kneep

How about just don't post if you're an ANTI-TV oddity like this :)

8. Kneep

Oh and I don't consider TV's these days, TV's, they're just big monitors, I have a computer hooked into each of them, no cable, cable / /satellite are crap IMO, too many adds, download all my TV shows via torrent with the adds edited out :)

9. "How about just don't post if you're an ANTI-TV oddity like this [​IMG]"

An ANTI-TV oddity? There are more people out there that don't have big TVs than this person. I don't have one either. So what? Now I posted. I get my news online, and some shows online, all on my desktop. I have no use for a big TV monitor. So I guess I'm odd too.

10. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Samsung LED thin 120hz baby, a 55" and a 40" and use them both every day. Even after having both for over a year now Im still amazed at the vividness and clarity of the HD image. Pricey but they are the Best of the best.

11. 27" Sony Trinitron

12. Sharp 40in 60Hz LCD. It's a great TV. I prefer 60Hz over 120Hz actually. The picture on 120Hz TV's seems almost computer animated almost fake.... Just my preference I guess

Brand does matter. I wouldn't buy a cheap no=name TV simply because the picture isn't as good. Sharp makes some nice TV's and they aren't crazy expensive like some brands.....

And..... the more HDMI inputs the better. Mine has 4 and that's almost the minimum you can go with these days.

13. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +357

Just bought a new Samsung 55" LED, very nice and svelte unit. It's supposed to be a "Smart TV" but for that I have a Boxee Box. Also I avoided 3D at all costs (which I mentioned in a previous WOF), in part because I'd never use it and part because that translated in a few hundred in savings.

14. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

LG 42" Plasma (42PA4500) 720p

I just moved to SF and I didn't want to spend that much money on a new TV, found this one for $320 at Frys and I just had to get it.

Dawn1113 likes this.
  15. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

I have a 32" Prima LCD television I purchased from Best Buy 6 years ago for $500. Been wanting a new one but can't justify replacing a perfectly working tv.

16. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 349   +54

I watch COPS, NCIS and other than that, my DVD's and maybe one or two shows on the USA network. I stopped watching all the other networks, the alphabet network news and almost all other tv talking head shows. As for the "tv", I have a tuner in my home computer and that's it. The arms race on the size of the LCD/LED sets is getting as bad as the megahertz race of the computers. I see *****s walking out of big box retail stores with 50, 60, 70" sets and just laugh.

17. Scavengers

Scavengers TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +16

Home Theater room - VIZIO XVT Series Cinemawide LED 58 inch 21:9 TV Theater 3D
    Living room - Vizio 37 inch VW37LHDTV40A 720P (6 years old)
    Bedroom - Vizio 32 inch LED LCD

Dave

18. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,004   +11

32" LCD Toshiba in bedroom for my PC use. just like Kneep I consider them bigger LCD instead of "TV".

19. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

55" LCD Sony Bravia KDL-HX Series. Pretty nice TV overall.

20. There are way better tvs than Best Buys Insigna garbage for $400. Toshiba,Vizio and even Sony have tvs in that price point. Plus you could have got a good deal with the holidays coming up in a month, I would have waited or simply got a better brand.

My tvs:
    63" Samsung 3D Plasma C8000
    46" Samsung 3D LCD/LED 240hz D8000
    46" Samsung LCD/CCFL 120hz (holiday model, got it for $200 after season was over)
    46" Samsung LCD/LED 120hz C6300
    40" Samsung LCD/CCFL 120hz

21. Movie Room - 55 inch LG LED Cinema3D
    Family Room - 47 inch Toshiba LCD
    Master Bedroom - 47 inch Sharp Aquos
    Kids Bedrooms - 32 inch Sharp Aquos x 2 (one is each room)
    Outside Deck/Hot Tub area - 32 inch Vizio

:) Love me some TV!!!:)

22. A 27inch crt flatscreen from RCA. Awsome :)

23. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 387   +53

Vizio XVT 1080P 120 hz for my bedroom. The majority of my program viewing is done on my desktop. I usually stream on my sony 3d display monitor which is 24 in 1080P(and unused 3d). My 27 in 1080P samsung display is better suited for my multitasking. Its sufficient for my living arrangement. If I had a proper living room I'd desire 55+ in 1080P.

24. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

60" Sony Bravia, It's a work of art!
    I prefer Sony TV's over all others. Motionflow is an amazing technology, and the bravia engine does an excellent job at reproducing crisp content. I watch blurays on it, and they look great!
    Also have 2 - 42" TV's in the den for gaming, both are cheap. (RCA, and a Haier)
    All are 1080p. Can't wait for 4k to be the norm.
    No 3D for me tho, seems too gimmicky. Although I've really enjoyed the 3D movies in theater.

25. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  26. 23" transparent display..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.