Weekend Open Forum: What kind of television do you have?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I recently had to replace the second-hand television in my bedroom. I’d purchased it from a friend a few years back after it developed a series of vertical lines on the right side of the screen and he no longer wanted it. I was able to overlook the visual distractions but when the backlighting failed and I could no longer see the left side of the screen, I knew it was time to replace the set.

I don’t watch a lot of television – the set in my living room hardly gets used unless I have friends over – but I do enjoy watching late-night talk shows or the occasional Amazon Prime movie at night before I fall asleep. I ended up getting a 42-inch (1080p) Insignia LED set for just shy of $400. It fits perfectly alongside the HTPC opposite of my bed.

With this week’s open forum, we want to know what kind of television you have. Does size / brand matter or do you prefer a specific set of features / price point?

Permalink to story.

I don't own one. I don't see the purpose of a TV when there is nothing on but garbage anymore. I have found that I do a lot more reading, studying, music listening and research. There is a huge world out there besides the pathetic advertising and mindless sit-com and reality show drivel that is spoon fed to the masses. I watch my DVD collection on my laptop if I feel so inclined, but I definitely haven't felt the need to buy a big TV. I wouldn't use it.

LG 46" 1080p - have had it for two years and it's been a great TV. I don't see upgrading anytime soon (unless I move into a larger place and want to get a 60").

ASUS 27" 1920x1200 computer monitor.

Don't have one. Or particularly want one. Wife and I watch on an FPM connected to my computer, when we watch at all.

I don't own one. I don't see the purpose of a TV when there is nothing on but garbage anymore. I have found that I do a lot more reading, studying, music listening and research. There is a huge world out there besides the pathetic advertising and mindless sit-com and reality show drivel that is spoon fed to the masses. I watch my DVD collection on my laptop if I feel so inclined, but I definitely haven't felt the need to buy a big TV. I wouldn't use it.

How about just don't post if you're an ANTI-TV oddity like this :)

Living room - 65" Sharp LCD
Den for computers- 37" LG LCD
Bedroom - 52" Toshiba LCD

Oh and I don't consider TV's these days, TV's, they're just big monitors, I have a computer hooked into each of them, no cable, cable / /satellite are crap IMO, too many adds, download all my TV shows via torrent with the adds edited out :)

"How about just don't post if you're an ANTI-TV oddity like this
prekesh-happy.png
"

An ANTI-TV oddity? There are more people out there that don't have big TVs than this person. I don't have one either. So what? Now I posted. I get my news online, and some shows online, all on my desktop. I have no use for a big TV monitor. So I guess I'm odd too.

Samsung LED thin 120hz baby, a 55" and a 40" and use them both every day. Even after having both for over a year now Im still amazed at the vividness and clarity of the HD image. Pricey but they are the Best of the best.

Sharp 40in 60Hz LCD. It's a great TV. I prefer 60Hz over 120Hz actually. The picture on 120Hz TV's seems almost computer animated almost fake.... Just my preference I guess

Brand does matter. I wouldn't buy a cheap no=name TV simply because the picture isn't as good. Sharp makes some nice TV's and they aren't crazy expensive like some brands.....

And..... the more HDMI inputs the better. Mine has 4 and that's almost the minimum you can go with these days.

Just bought a new Samsung 55" LED, very nice and svelte unit. It's supposed to be a "Smart TV" but for that I have a Boxee Box. Also I avoided 3D at all costs (which I mentioned in a previous WOF), in part because I'd never use it and part because that translated in a few hundred in savings.

LG 42" Plasma (42PA4500) 720p

I just moved to SF and I didn't want to spend that much money on a new TV, found this one for $320 at Frys and I just had to get it.

I have a 32" Prima LCD television I purchased from Best Buy 6 years ago for $500. Been wanting a new one but can't justify replacing a perfectly working tv.

I watch COPS, NCIS and other than that, my DVD's and maybe one or two shows on the USA network. I stopped watching all the other networks, the alphabet network news and almost all other tv talking head shows. As for the "tv", I have a tuner in my home computer and that's it. The arms race on the size of the LCD/LED sets is getting as bad as the megahertz race of the computers. I see *****s walking out of big box retail stores with 50, 60, 70" sets and just laugh.

Home Theater room - VIZIO XVT Series Cinemawide LED 58 inch 21:9 TV Theater 3D
Living room - Vizio 37 inch VW37LHDTV40A 720P (6 years old)
Bedroom - Vizio 32 inch LED LCD

Dave

32" LCD Toshiba in bedroom for my PC use. just like Kneep I consider them bigger LCD instead of "TV".

There are way better tvs than Best Buys Insigna garbage for $400. Toshiba,Vizio and even Sony have tvs in that price point. Plus you could have got a good deal with the holidays coming up in a month, I would have waited or simply got a better brand.

My tvs:
63" Samsung 3D Plasma C8000
46" Samsung 3D LCD/LED 240hz D8000
46" Samsung LCD/CCFL 120hz (holiday model, got it for $200 after season was over)
46" Samsung LCD/LED 120hz C6300
40" Samsung LCD/CCFL 120hz

Movie Room - 55 inch LG LED Cinema3D
Family Room - 47 inch Toshiba LCD
Master Bedroom - 47 inch Sharp Aquos
Kids Bedrooms - 32 inch Sharp Aquos x 2 (one is each room)
Outside Deck/Hot Tub area - 32 inch Vizio

:) Love me some TV!!!:)

Vizio XVT 1080P 120 hz for my bedroom. The majority of my program viewing is done on my desktop. I usually stream on my sony 3d display monitor which is 24 in 1080P(and unused 3d). My 27 in 1080P samsung display is better suited for my multitasking. Its sufficient for my living arrangement. If I had a proper living room I'd desire 55+ in 1080P.

60" Sony Bravia, It's a work of art!
I prefer Sony TV's over all others. Motionflow is an amazing technology, and the bravia engine does an excellent job at reproducing crisp content. I watch blurays on it, and they look great!
Also have 2 - 42" TV's in the den for gaming, both are cheap. (RCA, and a Haier)
All are 1080p. Can't wait for 4k to be the norm.
No 3D for me tho, seems too gimmicky. Although I've really enjoyed the 3D movies in theater.

Attachments

• Sony_KDL-40D3550.png
    Sony_KDL-40D3550.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back