Weekend Open Forum: What's the last PC game you preordered?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Between the current console generation pulling overtime and the growing pains of digital monetization, I've been less confident about preordering PC games in recent years. Sometimes it's easy to spot the lousy ports with questionable ethics, other times you don't know you've been duped until you're past the point of no return.

Sticking with reputable developers isn't exactly foolproof either. For instance, BioWare earned plenty of praise for Dragon Age: Origin and then hastily shipped a sloppy sequel that disappointed many (most?) fans -- including me. What was the last PC game you preordered? Was it a major upset or did you get your money's worth?

Permalink to story.

Bioshock Infinite. It came with Bioshock 1 and XCOM Enemy Unknown. I ended up getting all 3 games for $60.

Windows 7 is the only thing I have ever preordered. I'm a tightwad that waits for prices to fall, because I know that initially everything has an inflated price.

This is an easy one since the last time I pre-ordered a game, it was Fallout New Vegas and I did so purely to get the pre-order DLC which turned out to be a massive disappointment since I was given the regular version, not the pre-order version and pretty much told to shut up and bugger off when I complained. Then, I had the extra delight to find out that even though I'd bought a computer game by means of a physical medium, I was forced to install Steam to download and install the same bloody thing I'd bought on disk.

Warcraft 3, Collector's Edition, on the first day of the game's release. After that I didn't buy any, as I started feeling a bit old for computer games.

Portal 2. Before that I don't remember. I don't really preorder games for the PC like I used to for PSone and PS2. I've yet to do it for PS3/XBOX 360 (I actually rarely buy games at all for consoles now.)

Would you believe Resident Evil 6? It's because on Steam we got a free copy of Resident Evil 5.

Same as Darkshadoe - Bioshock: Infinite with the original Bioshock and XCOM package. Very pleased with that purchase.

I used to preorder fairly regularly, but don't anymore. Got tired of being burned with some real crappy games from what used to be reputable "can't lose" producers. Crysis 2 and Silent Hunter 5 are a couple of examples.

BattleField 4, Will it be worth it? Probably not but I get the preorder bonus and I got like 12% off so had to make the move while the gettin was good.

CS:GO is the only game I've ever preordered, but the price was only $10-15 and I'm a pretty die hard Counter-Strike player. Usually I wait for games to have all the bugs and balance issues fixed as well as the price to be reduced significantly.

Battlefield 3. I was OK with it, but suddenly got burned out on it a couple of months ago - I have not even touched the two latest expansions, even though I have them installed.

I don't see me ever buying anything at full retail launch price again, let alone pre-ordering at full price. My days of paying a hundred dollars for a full game experience (core game + expansions, without even a shiny disc to show for it) are done. There are so many quality free games out there or on the way that I am interested in and don't have time to play - MechWarrior Online, Star Conflict, Planetside 2, Tribes: Ascend, World of Warplanes, Freespace Open, Hawken to name a few. And like someone mentioned above, prices do drop. I just don't see me paying more than $20-$30 for any game again. I don't play online much any more, so I don't mind coming in several months later and being behind the majority of players.

Heart of the swarm, bought it a few days before release so I could predownload it. Before that chivalry medieval warfare so I could play the beta. Before that diablo 3. Torchlight 2. Duke nukem forever. Starcraft 2.

Last PC game I pre-ordered was probably Diablo 3. I will probably never pre-order another PC game again.

Have never pre-ordered anything and I never will. I can't even fathom why anyone would do this. Its not like you're going to get the game before anyone else, and you're probably paying *more*, not less - I can't remember the last time I saw a discount on an advance purchase. Besides, all the new PC games are terrible console ports with always-online DRM like Steam, so I pretty much don't buy any games now. Well, actually..I did sort of "pre-order" a game not too long ago. I donated to Wasteland 2 because Kickstarter seems to be the only hope remaining for the PC.

I guess it would be Diablo III; but not in a normal store pre-order sense. I bartered during development with one of the senior staff for some work I did. Made a phone call when it finally was released, got it overnight! Felt like a kid at Christmas :) May pre-order again, but it would have to be something near and dear to me. NOT anything CoD for sure.

I guess it would be Diablo III; but not in a normal store pre-order sense. I bartered during development with one of the senior staff for some work I did. Made a phone call when it finally was released, got it overnight! Felt like a kid at Christmas :) May pre-order again, but it would have to be something near and dear to me. NOT anything CoD for sure.
I am pretty pissed, I wouldn't have bought Black Ops 2, but my friend said he was and I wanted Nuketown. But, my friend quit CoD soon after and Nuketown is now free. Aint life somethin'.

If crowdfunding counts, I did "preorder" Star Citizen, as I donated enough to receive the full game when it comes out.

Pre-orders are for people who have no clue what they're doing, sorry to be so direct, but that's just the way I see it.

Back