What's the most expensive piece of tech you've ever bought and was it worth it?

midian182

Staff member

Let’s be honest and admit that most highly-desirable pieces of technology come with a pretty steep price tag, but it’s usually the case that you only get what you pay for. I recently bought a new monitor that cost me more than my first car (although it was a pretty cheap car), yet I absolutely love it and consider it worth the money.

For this week’s open forum we want to know what’s the most expensive piece of tech you’ve ever bought and was it worth the price? Did you pay several thousand dollars for a 386SX in the early nineties and think it was a like a gift from God? Or maybe you paid an eye-watering amount of money for an Apple Newton and quickly wished you hadn't?

Technology: it's rarely cheap, but it's (usually) worth it.

Permalink to story.

$1895.00 USD (inflation equivalent $4,658 USD) for a KayPro II. Wonderful silent almost portable (if you want to build up your arm muscles). Definite 'do again'.

GTX 980. I bought it within the 1st week of release and it was the cheapest it ever was in my region. Two weeks later, Nvidia started bundling it with Far Cry 4. Although I wasn't eligible, I wrote a formal complaint and managed to get the game as well. Cranking all graphics settings to the max and still have playable framerates never gets old. So, yes, it was totally worth it.

My DJI Phantom 3 Professional - DRONE. By Far - the best piece of TECH / toy / tool I have ever purchased! Hands down, baby!

$1,200 for gaming rig back in the 00s.

Was it worth it? Absolutely.

The Lisa .... $20,000 ..... got it for my business just 6 months before Apple dumped it!

Very worth it! 144Hz is awesome.
BenQ XL2430T ($466cdn) with my GTX 970 ($451cdn) coming a close second. If we're counting tech purchases made at one time, that would be the two Radeon 6950's ($655cdn) I used to have... not worth it. :(

My beautiful gaming rig... Triple Titan X, 64GB RAM, Rampage V Extreme, i7 5960.... all housed in a Corsair 900D... custom liquid cooled and worth every penny I spent - almost $15,000 CAD all in....

If its just one piece of technology and not a conglomerate (Like my desktop), its kinda a tough choice because I rarely spend a ton on stuff and most things fall into the same range on pricing. Off the top of my head I guess the honor would be my twin 9800GX2's and water blocks. Solo I believe I paid $650 ish then add in the water parts and it became quite expensive even for a solo card. I would put it as worth it even though support was meh.

Single component would be a Intel Core Extreme X6800 that was used almost exclusively in a benchmarker and demo (for watercooling) system. Luckily I recouped most of the cost just in time for the Q6600 launch.
Single largest outlay would be three EVGA 8800U's, their waterblocks and SLI connecting bridge.

I wouldn't put either under the value-for-money category, but they were immense fun.

A Radeon HD 6990 @ $800 back in 2011
Mined bitcoins with it, so it was well worth it - paid for itself, really (even though I sold at $5/coin at the time).

It died, and was replaced under lifetime warranty with a HD7970 Ghz, which still chugs along very happily at max settings.

Absolutely worth it.

Nothing. Hardware tech is never worth it. My $40 "Golden Retriever: was my best purchase ever

Mac Pro (4,1) cost well over $2000. Still use it today, and unlike the current "trashcan" model, I can still use a Nvidia card. Worth it.

$2500 for the first ever 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor... It was worth it although I made many other cheaper investments that I regret after that.

$700aus back in 2004 for an nvidia 6800GT just weeks before doom 3 and half life 2 were set to drop. Totally utterly worth it!

My latest video card, for sure - caught a deal on a FuryX last week, 620 eur, already love it - quiet (compared to R9 290) and so very cool (pun intended). The performance is nothing short of what I'm expecting from it.

I'm still very happt with the >2,000e I dropped on a 17" Macbook Pro back in 2011. This was a few iterations before Apple dropped the 17" and started soldering in the RAM. I've since installed a Samsung 840 SSD, and upped the ram to 8gb

It's taken a lot of abuse over the last half decade. I had to get it repaired by a wizard with a soldering gun after I spilled a glass of wine on it that shorted out across the LVDS cable. There's plenty of dents and scratches too.

If it weren't for the aging ATI 6750M I'd be perfectly happy with it until the costs of repairing/maintaining it exceeded its value.

I'd get a gaming laptop but I don't really have a need for two machines.

I bought a Lg29 inch ultra wide monitor. Cost me 400 euros. By far the best money I ever spent for a monitor. Would highly recommend to anyone. Whenever I need a new one will definitely buy another.

20MB (yes, megabyte) external harddrive for my Amiga 3000. $800. I believe that works about to about $40 million for a one Terabyte harddrive.

My most expensive tech purchase were two Titan X cards that I bought last year. Since I can play Crysis 3 with the all the graphic settings at maximum I'd say they were the money.

Single components, I'm not sure, but probably the 16MB of RAM I bought in late 1994 or early 1995 for about $700. (And then forgot at the computer lab at the university. Though I did get it back.)

Amiga 1000. Extra 3.5" FD. Color Monitor. SCSI External HD. About $4000 back in the 80s.

First 13" NanoFlex LCD monitor for $1,200. Well worth the price to unclutter my desktop and watch all my friend's jaws drop when 100lb CRTs were the only things around.

Back