Weekend Open Forum: What's your PC audio setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

If you've been a computer enthusiast for long you will recall how in the late 1990s computer audio took as much precedence as 3d graphics. Coming in hot from the 'multimedia revolution' when computers gained the ability to reproduce high quality audio and became more interactive thanks to the use of optical media (a.k.a. the CD-ROM), these would eventually evolve into Internet-connected machines and powerful gaming workstations. A golden era for the likes of Creative Labs and its Sound Blaster series, back then I used to think of an upgrade in terms of moving from a 2.1 to a 5.1 speaker system. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it'd seem like that page in history is long gone or at least has been on the decline for many years now.

Take this personal example. I'm currently planning a nice home theater setup for my new house that includes in-wall speakers, a receiver, an HTPC, a big screen projector, the works. On the other hand, on my workstation I literally threw away the latest Creative X-fi sound card that I owned a couple of years ago and got rid of the multiple speaker system and all the cabling that implied for the basic and subtle Logitech Z-10 USB speakers. When playing games, which I must admit does not happen as often as it did years before or as often as I would like to, I'm relying either on this 2-speaker system or on a pair of relatively high-end headphones that pull the trick off given my needs.

In this week's WOF we ask you, what kind of audio devices and equipment do you currently have hooked up to your computer? Like me, are you also giving less importance to PC audio than you did before? Or perhaps I'm simply talking for personal experience and you have treated yourself and your computer with a more sophisticated solution than anything I've mentioned thus far? Enrich us with your stories. Discuss.

Permalink to story.

I've got a simple 2.1 system from Creative. It may only be two satellites and a small 5 inch sub, but it's got some great sound quality to it. I can only dream of a 5.1 for now, sadly. One day though...

Sennheiser 550 headphones, with the onboard sound on my DFI P55 T36. Good enough I reckon, or at least feels as good as my old Audigy 2.

No spare slots (PCI or PCIe) on mobo for a soundcard, or I'd get one.

I have my old Altec Lansing ADA995 setup from 2004 when I bought a really nice Dell desktop. 200w total, two 6.5in subs. Still runs great, bass is awesome, and even though I still have the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 that came with them--I'm now running them on a Xonar DX which has incredibly crisp and clear sound.

I've currently got Logitech Z2300's but am considering getting a pair of sennheiser headphone's.

Possibly a speaker upgrade in the next few years, but I'm happy with my Z2300s for the time being.

I'm more of a visual person so right now I'm satisfied with a good 2.1 setup and it'll probably be like that for years to come.

I have Logitech X-530 system. 5.1 with a nice sub. I'm 20 and at university, so these let me even provide music for dorm parties. :p

Using onboard audio, play all games in surround, and even watch digital tv in surround on some channels. Really can't go past the surround sound if you have all the other hardware top notch.

Creative X-fi Gamer sound card + Logitech Z-5500 for listening to music, watching videos and G35 for gaming. I'm quite a fan of Logitech, the Z-5500 has lasted about 5 years and still it's one of the best set of PC speakers out there.

"CMH Sennheiser 550 headphones, with the onboard sound on my DFI P55 T36. Good enough I reckon, or at least feels as good as my old Audigy 2.

No spare slots (PCI or PCIe) on mobo for a soundcard, or I'd get one."

Creative and no doubt a few others do USB sound cards, think Creative do X-Fi Surround 5.1 and a few more options not sure about the others or other companies options.

Currently running on Bose Companion 3 Series II 2.1 Speaker set up pushed by Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium PCI-Express sound card with Sennheiser HD 595 headphones or Klipsch Enhanced Bass S4 earbuds. Sometimes I use my Razer Mako 2.1 THX Certified Elite system since it uses downward firing technology and produces outstanding omnidirectional sound.

X_FI Extrememusic, Lofitech Z-2300, Grado SR225i.I am not considering an upgrade at the moment. Plenty satisfied.

The question also is, are you using these fancy setups? I have friend who bought the Zeppelin iPod dock (like $1200AUD) and Logitech Z-5500 setup, but has like <100kbps music. Fail!

Absolutely! On my laptop alone it contains enough music to play for two weeks 24/7 without repeating a song! It's almost an unreal experience to hear subtle nuances like a saxophonist taking his breath before beginning a phrase or to hear the fingertips of the guitarist as they move along the frets of his instrument....sonic orgasmic bliss!

Guess I was at least partially wrong, most of you are indeed running some nice PC audio devices and speaker setups. However it seems to be the trend that you have owned this stuff for some time now. Logitech speakers remain very popular and for good reason if you consider what they cost compared to hi-fi equipment.

Running a Philips 5.1 Gaming system here with Standard Via HD Audio Deck with SRS Audio WOW...

On my other setup i've got a Creative T-20 on a Asus Xonar D2X

I've been using the Logitech z-5450 (not the wireless version though, guess the number's a little different) pretty much since their release and I'm more than satisfied with them. Nothing ever went wrong with them ,the power is more than enough for my apartment and sometimes I feel like they play better than my in-car Bose system, which cost much more than the Logitech.

When it comes to headphones I'm using the Sennheiser HD 515 and they're pretty good. Running both through Asus Xonar D1.

I have a Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1 set up that's about 5 years old and is pretty decent. My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Gamer. I used Realtek audio for a few months to make room for a crossfire set up, but recently put my sound card back. I also use a Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset for online gaming.

Creative 7.1 THX certified. Have had it for at least 7 years and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back