Weekend Open Forum: What's your preferred mobile phone platform and handset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

In the past three years we've seen a number of new smartphone operating systems burst onto the scene. From Apple's wildly successful iPhone OS, to Google's increasingly popular Android and Palm's praised yet still floundering WebOS -- to name a few. Microsoft is no stranger to the market either, but just recently the company took a radical departure from its previous business-centered strategy and unveiled what looks to be a potentially solid contender in the consumer space: the Windows Phone 7 Series.

All of them are characterized for powering a new generation of touch-driven, fast and feature-rich devices that evermore seem to be turning into pocket-sized computers. The fact that three of the most significant companies in desktop computing -- Apple, Google and Microsoft -- now stand to occupy the same positions in mobile is a clear indication of where the industry is going.

Others like Nokia and RIM have arguably been a bit slower to adapt to the latest trends -- or have preferred to focus their efforts on a particular niche -- but still command an undeniable large portion of the cell phone market. Like them there are also a number of big-name industry players peddling their own platforms and hardware, including Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Toshiba, HTC and LG Electronics.

In this edition of our Weekend Open Forum we want to know what kind of device you are currently using. Have you jumped into the smartphone and mobile app craze? Are you more of the business user type? Or perhaps you are comfortable with anything that can make a simple phone call? Feel free to share what you love or hate about your current hardware and mobile platform, as well as any plans for your next purchase.

Permalink to story.

Still got an AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1.
With no data plan, I'm stuck with SMS and wifi as my primary means of non-call usage.

Looked into the Tilt 2, but I'm holding out for WM7 or AT&T to stock an Android phone. Regardless, looking for an HTC as my next purchase.
..Also looking to see if I can drop AT&T and find a better provider, but there's still some time left on the contract

LOL...I have a pre-paid phone from Virgin for personal use. Work has issued me a Blackberry Curve though - which I never use unless I have to.

E-mail is my preferred method of communication.

My ideal phone? A T-mobile Sidekick post-product recall. I just like the way it's organized. A nice big screen to see what you're doing, a full keyboard, the screen then covers the buttons so you don't pocket-dial, and it's from T-mobile which is my current service provider. Anything else that's good about it is a side-bonus. In a way I agree with the sentiment that Adhmuz provided. As long as it's a phone, and it has that keyboard, I'm good. My current phone is a samsung brick with several buttons that are going dead.

As far as anything else goes, I've got an iPod Touch. Music, internet, basic games to play, podcasts, and youtube. I'm set after I get a sidekick.

Symbian, its open, lots of apps, ive got a sony ericsson 2960, great audio quality, camera is fine, its got wifi and thats pretty much all i need

Symbian, I love it
I've got a Nokia N82 with these games on it that run great;

Quake 1, 2 & 3
Duke Nukem 3D (I've actually played through the whole first episode on the phone!)
Shadow Warrior

GPFce (NES 8bit emulator with many good old classics like Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Zelda and others)

ScummVM (An emulator) with these games;
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Sam & Max Hit the Road

Especially Duke3D and all the ScummVM games hold a great sentimental value to me, I play them whenever I am somewhere waiting for something having nothing to do...
Can you tell I'm getting old? :p

@TomSEA, I also use a prepaid Virgin phone for personal use. Since I don't talk very much on it, $20/200 minutes usually lasts me all month.

I've been considering getting an upgrade though, because I miss checking my email from my phone, so I've been eyeballing the Nexus One.

At home, I use a couple skype phones.

Have mostly used Symbian or WinMo phones during last 10-12+ years, sometimes I use my phone's for surfing (provided that at that time I am lazy enough and want to avoid turning on my PC or notebook lol), but mostly for calls & email.

Only once I tried to use Sony Ericson whatever it was (dont remember model number).

Still have a Nokia 5800 Xpress, but oh so bad it is. Everything taken for granted is no longer there. Piece of crap phone. I'm already in he process of canceling the purchase, so to speak. Then I'll go back to the old, nice, foldable nokia phones.
I think GPS and WAP are enough for me... with all the other things we take for granted, of course, such as SMS/MMS/Caldenar, etc.
Down with touch.

Can't say I like the new operating systems very much either. No hands-on experience, but I cannot say Chrome will be any good. It sounds just plain nonsense. And I will always like operating systems whose API are Native C++ before any other.

Nokia with symbian is far the best in my opinion.

iPhone is to locked down and restrictive ...and the hardware is to outdated for me.

My N95 does all i need and then some .. looking to buy a N900 though.

"Nokia and RIM have arguably been a bit slower to adapt to the latest trends "
Bullshit...what trends...they could and can do "all these trends" before the iPhone was even released...

Recently upgraded old SE W950 (Symbian UIQ) with HTC Tatoo. Got to say I'm in love with Android, can't imagine better phone OS for my needs.

wow no love for the droid and android. i just got one last month it's the best phone i've ever had. i can't stay off of it. it's fast, multitasks like a dream, intuitive, heck even my wife yesterday just picked it up to check her work schedule and figured it out. that's saying alot :)

I'm eyeballing the sony ericsson Vivaz. It comes out this year, though I'm iffy on symbian. I think I'd prefer android. This will be my first smart phone so I'll have to research and see if it's plausible to change your OS.

i have a samsung blackjack 2 with windows mobile 6.1. i'm not very happy with it, i'm looking to get the droid or iphone this summer.

Nokia with symbian is far the best in my opinion.

iPhone is to locked down and restrictive ...and the hardware is to outdated for me.

My N95 does all i need and then some .. looking to buy a N900 though.

"Nokia and RIM have arguably been a bit slower to adapt to the latest trends "
Bullshit...what trends...they could and can do "all these trends" before the iPhone was even released...

Correct; my Omnia beats iphone hands down in quality of playback and many other tasks i throw at it ;)

Sony ericsson w705 :D infact, this post in being sent using the phone's built in wifi. :D I love simple phones and I am not really a fan of small sized full qwerty keypad.

I switched from At&T using a Motorola V3 Razr to Verizon and an LG Env 3. The difference in phone and network quality for me has been astounding. Granted the V3 Razr is quit dated, but I text a lot and having a QWERTY keyboard is great. This phone has one of the best keyboards I have ever used on a phone. It's too bad non VZW customers get my texts in multiple messages if they exceed 160 chars. The camera is decent and with an 8GB Micro SD card I can easily access my pics and media on phone and computer. I also get much better reception, particularly at work, so I am very happy about that. The OS included allows for a lot of customization with shortcuts, even if there are a few quirks about the overall design. If I could choose another phone for free I'd be interested in the Nokia E90, and I love the idea behind the Sonim XP2.10

I used to stick with Nokia's up until 2005 when I switched to Windows Mobile and since then I have never looked back.

My first device was a HTC TyTn II with WinMobile 6.1 then last year upgraded to HTC Diamond which originally had WinMobile 6.1 as well, but I later flashed to a WinMobile 6.5 ROM from XDA Developers.

My next intended upgrade will be a HTC Touch HD2 which seems like a solid, fast and usable device which should keep me happy for another few years :)

I've had many smartphones over the years, and right now I am using the Blackberry Storm on Verizon. It's a work issued phone, so my choices are limited if I want to use the Blackberry Server to get my work email.

That being said, I do very much enjoy this phone.

Well I currently have AT&T as my mobile provider and the phone I own is Sony Ericsson W810i, which I've been extremely happy with. However I'm looking into HTC HD2 which is widely used for its internet and social network capabilities. However, the unlocked version from Europe wont work with the 3G on AT&T, neither will the coming up HTC HD2 T-Mobile version... so I'm stuck for now. I'm looking for a resolution, if anyone has one please post.

P.S. I've known some Australian carrier Telstra has that phone at 850MhZ for 3G, but costs like 33% more ~ $950 USD.

Who is your phone provider? HTC HD2 wont work in the USA with anything but T-Mobile and only if u use their service, unless u spend $950 for unlocked version of Telstra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back