Weekend Open Forum: Who makes your favorite networking gear?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

There’s no shortage of choices when it comes to selecting networking gear for your home or at work. Companies like Belkin, Cisco, D-Link and Netgear all have a solid following among consumers. I’ve used several different brands over the years and honestly I haven’t found one that I prefer over another, mostly due to the fact that I always seem to have to replace my router after a few years as it begins to randomly lose connection on a consistent basis.

open forum router weekend open forum

With this week’s open forum and in the wake of having to replace my Cisco router in the near future, we’d like to hear who makes your favorite networking gear. Feel free to hit the comment section below and let us know which brand you typically go with.

Permalink to story.

Asus. Use the new Asus RT-AC66U 802.11ac - it's pricey ($200), but is amazingly fast with the new ac protocol and super easy to set up.

Asus isn't good for just mobo's any longer. :)

Cisco Linksys is my usual selection. This last time I went with ASUS. Although I feel as if ASUS is a rebrand of something else, I'm probably wrong thinking so.

I use tp link because it work fine at 50c and other fries at that temp

HP 24 port gigabit for home wired setup, ports in nearly every room. Dont use wireless that much when you can get a much faster and more reliable wired connection. Still using an old Billion router for wireless. I will replace the billion when I either get the NBN to my door, or the router dies, 5 years and still going.

I don't have a favorite one per se. The equipment that comes with the Centurylink service, the Actiontec Q1000, gets the job done. Three video game systems, three PCs, a tablet, two Blu-Ray players and a Roku box all works with no hitches.

Love my black box 8port Ethernet switch powered from usb. It is so good in the data center.

I've always had very good experiences with Netgear at home. With that in mind I try to stick to them when I can, though I'm not opposed to buying another brand.

I have been using, installing, servicing many routers over the past 9 years and by far for a consumer product the Cisco branded Linksys routers.
D-Link greenhorn setup software seems confusing from many people I have set up for. They make great switches, but routers not so much.

Most current setup for network here..

OnStage RS7030 Rack Stand
Raxxess RAX Unitray Universal Rack Tray UNS1 (2x)
Technical Pro PS9U Rack Mount Power Supply with 5V USB Charging Port

Ubee DDM3513 DOCSIS 3.0 certified 50MB-1000MB: ISP Rate: 50d 10u showing 67d 12u
TP-LINK SafeStream Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router TL-ER6120 (Rack Mount)
TP-LINK JetStream 16-Port Gigabit L2 Managed Switch TL-SG3216 (Rack Mount)

EnGenius Xtra/Super Range Dual-Band High-Powered Wireless-N AP Gigabit Router ESR600H In WiFi Access Mode Only!
ZyXEL NSA325 (NAS 2x TB) + Print Server + Media Server + Web Server
SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black) (2x)

It makes no difference to me. I'll use any brand. It's all price dependent. At the moment I use D-Link. It does what it says on the tin.

It makes no difference to me. I'll use any brand. It's all price dependent. At the moment I use D-Link. It does what it says on the tin.

Yes it does make a difference. I've used all the major brands, all those you get in the stores just not going to hold up if you use your network heavy duty. Streaming Media from Media Server, playing online LAN party games etc.. Business Enterprise Network Gear is what I use now. No more Cisco Linksys Gear for me I've spent more for these E4200, EA4500 all those RE1000 total cost near $500 bucks and what the out come failure! TP-LINK top Network Gear don't have these issues that plague all the other brands for SOHO Small Office / Home Office Routers. Of course SMB (Small Business)

Definitely Asus for the past 2-3 years. Their router has been very capable, stable, and easy to use. Not sure what happened to dlink and linksys. Cisco RV series are also decent provided you pick the right model and update firmware.

Tp link,wr740n,draft n at 150mbps.
cheap, easy to setup, hassle free.

I'll probably upgrade to tp link wr841n when the wallet is more stable.

Yes it does make a difference. I've used all the major brands, all those you get in the stores just not going to hold up if you use your network heavy duty. Streaming Media from Media Server, playing online LAN party games etc.. Business Enterprise Network Gear is what I use now. No more Cisco Linksys Gear for me I've spent more for these E4200, EA4500 all those RE1000 total cost near $500 bucks and what the out come failure! TP-LINK top Network Gear don't have these issues that plague all the other brands for SOHO Small Office / Home Office Routers. Of course SMB (Small Business)
Like I said, it's makes no bit of blind difference to me. I'm a farmer with a home network. I buy on price & price alone. I'm not a fanbooi of any brand.

I make my "favorite networking gear"
I build my own Firewall / Routers using IPCOP...
Also Linksys WRT's comes very high on my list when you replace the stock firmware with Sveasoft or DD-WRT

As for actual switching gear I don't care so much, Dell makes some nice switches at decent prices, but so does several other brands. I like the look & performance of the compact Netgear switches.

Back