Weekend Open Forum: Would you get a Chrome OS laptop?

Jos

Staff

Earlier this week Google announced the culmination of its CR-48 pilot program: two Chrome OS-powered notebooks manufactured by Acer and Samsung. Priced at $349 and $429, respectively, they are admittedly pricier than I was anticipating but Google will also offer leasing plans from $20 per month for students and businesses.

Although spec-wise they are par for the course, what's interesting is the fact that they offer a glimpse at the future Google envisions: one where all your computing is done hassle-free through the browser.

In their view, Windows is too much of a pain to use and maintain for regular folks who just want to get online. With Chrome OS there's no loading programs on startup, no need for software updates or virus protection, and all your stuff is saved 'in the cloud' so there's no need for local storage. Google is the first to admit that they are betting on a paradigm shift and even their introductory video ends with a voice that says: "I wonder if people are ready for this?"

Indeed many web applications already run well enough to replace some of their desktop counterparts and even complex tasks such as gaming are being enabled by projects like OnLive. With that in mind we want to ask you: would you be interested in getting a Chrome OS laptop, even if just as a secondary machine? What would you consider the sweet spot in terms of price? Vote and let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Permalink to story.

"The cloud" isn't ready for this. As we've all recently had information stolen off of servers (PlayStation, Tivo, banks that use Epsilon, etc), why would we want EVERYTHING stored on servers? I've also had far more internet outages than I've had power outages. Besides, I can get a comparable notebook computer with Win7 and a hard drive for the same money they want for this cloudbook. Just makes no sense.

No chance. I will not put all of my things in the cloud and require a internet connection to use my pc.

Nor would I let any of my family members, as they come to me for anything made after 1970, because I will not sit there and have to explain to them why they can't do anything at all because time warner is experiencing an outage.

Computer maintenance really isn't that hard in general, and this seems like something people will buy and then ***** out their usual techy because it WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT CAN'T DO x???? Google said it was better!

With that said, I have no real interest relying that heavily on the cloud or google. I would have taken a free one in the pilot program, but you miss your chance google! :p

I wont even use Google's browser, why would I trust them with the rest of my computer? They were ok when they were just a search engine.

"History ignored is destined to repeat itself"......

Oooo look, a laptop with a Google OS, and it does cloud computing!

This roughly parallels the citizens of Sparta saying, "Oooo look, open the city gates, Troy just sent us a horse"!

Now watch as I climb to the highest point I can find, with a bullhorn and shout at the top of my lungs, "No, N-O, no, never in a million years"...!

I'm simply baffled why everybody stands around and watches while Google tries to hijack every nook and cranny of the computing world, with a maniacal, monopolistic, obsession, and thinks its a good thing.

I have a single Gmail account, and I use their search engine. Beyond that, I avoid them like the plague.

Earlier this week Google announced the culmination of its CR-48 pilot program: two Chrome OS-powered notebooks manufactured by Acer and Samsung. Priced at $349 and $429, respectively, they are admittedly…
In direct response to this question, why would I do anything this stupid? I can buy a Windows 7 laptop for the same price, and woudn't have to use some Google "cloud" BS spyware OS.

And Jose, how long is a "moth"?
Google will also offer leasing plans from $20 per moth for students and businesses.

yay lets all step back from Personal Computers and go networked again!!! yay google lets me forget about privacy and data protection concerns altogether!!! yay i am meek in the face of Almighty Server!...what do you mean unable to log on? well where's all my files? hang on the phone's ringing... hello? FBI? yes I am writing an essay on Al-Qaeda's logistical operations. No. no it's purely hypothetical, something for my PhD. what do you mean I must inform the police if I intend to leave the state? what was that about my passport and no-fly lists? Don't tell me not to be evil you just spied on me you motherbeeeeep.
the story of the cloud. Wave bye-bye to your freedom citizens.

Pass....My computer, My data. Google already knows more about me than my parents!
Who's to say that after you get everything "in the cloud" whoever controls the cloud that has your data, says pay up or it's gone.

marinkvasina said:
Tanstar said:
"The cloud" isn't ready for this. As we've all recently had information stolen off of servers (PlayStation, Tivo, banks that use Epsilon, etc), why would we want EVERYTHING stored on servers? I've also had far more internet outages than I've had power outages. Besides, I can get a comparable notebook computer with Win7 and a hard drive for the same money they want for this cloudbook. Just makes no sense.
This be google mate, it ain't stupid like sony ect.

It won't be stolen... ur just a hater

Cause it's not like the chinese didn't just hack google or anything.

At first i thought it was an awesome idea, but then when you really think about it, how is having your information saved "in the cloud" better or safer? If anything it sounds like it allows someone to steal your whole computer without actually needing to steal it. Now let's say for example you could have your info on the laptop, the OS idea is interesting. I saw OS boot and shut down and it's fast. Most people do just go online and use a browser and that's it, however, there are other markets that won't want it. Gamers won't want it, and people who need it for arts(photoshop) purposes wont want it. Students would want it but couldn't use it especially for college, i need powerpoint, word, excel, just to name a few. Now i am sure Chrome will have their own version but I and most likely many other need the Windows version, or Mac. I think it will need time to develop on the market, and improve in these areas, and i'm sure google will improve it. As of right now i'm not getting one because I don't need what it provides because my windows computer does what it does but better except starting up and shutting down but that's not a seller for me.

No way. For average user maybe, but if you have secific software and hardware, that you simply can't replace, the idea is useless.
Cloud is good for emails, flash and java games, simple graphics, youtube and "sharing". I prefer straight up private and offline work/fun.

Phone soft is more and more like computer soft, so why are we trying to make computer software more like that from phones?

Julio said:
dedparrot said:
the cloud isn't ready yet. we're not ready yet.
+1

+1/2 more ;)

Its just not about all those cloudy things, I reckon it is more about why one would want to trust a corporation which want control everything in a way which culminate in making money for them at the expense of customer. Sometimes, I am amazed how people ignore this important aspect and jump on the 'recycled' new ideas as if its the next best or big thing for mankind.

chazz said:
marinkvasina said:
Tanstar said:
".....As we've all recently had information stolen off of servers (PlayStation, Tivo, banks that use Epsilon, etc), why would we want EVERYTHING stored on servers? ......
This be google mate, it ain't stupid like sony ect.

It won't be stolen... ur just a hater

Cause it's not like the chinese didn't just hack google or anything.

DING DING DING! chazz wins :p

As for me...hellz no. I like having a device that's as useful offline as it is online. I like having my data on my physical hard disk. And because i'm not an *****, I save all of that to a flash drive, CD, AND on the cloud (in case the flash drive fails and something happens to the CD). But to put even 85% of everything strictly on the cloud? No thanks. Even my important emails get downloaded to my HDD. After-all, I may need access to some of that info if i'm in a non-wifi area or if my wifi card goes on the fritz or if the power goes out or if my router goes on the fritz or if or if or if or if.......

Windows is too much pain to use ... But Google adds are more painful.Also I don't really see a point here regular folk who want to get online will opt for tablets or smartphones rather a laptop.Plus no serious gaming i think.Saving your data in the cloud can be way too risky.

No way on earth. It's like the old mainframe days; one powerful machine and lots of dumb terminals. You gotta be kidding google! The web is not the center of the universe you know. I need hardware I can rely on. I dont want to rely on a network connection that's slow & jealously capped by my ISP...

Back