Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite bookmarking service?

Jos

Staff

There are dozens of bookmarking services out there to help you organize links from all over the web. Although I was once an avid del.icio.us user, I can't say I rely on any of these services anymore. Besides occasionally hitting the "Read later" bookmarklet to save interesting articles I encounter while browsing the web onto Instapaper, I've mostly turned back to the stock bookmarking function of Chrome.

A lot of people were upset when news broke that Xmarks was closing shop though -- and were glad to see it found a new home -- while a few others were worried when Yahoo let slip that it was looking to get rid of their bookmarking tool Delicious that it bought years ago.

With that in mind we want to know: do you rely on your browser's bookmarks feature or on a specialized service / add-on? If it's the latter, tell us what you are using and why you like it.

Permalink to story.

I've always used Delicious but it's kind of dead now and have been stagnating for a few years. I think I'll move to Pinboard.in this year but haven't found the time.

Xmarks and Diigo are great bookmarking tools that go beyond the usual browser capabilities. That said, I use them to sync across my computers more than anything else.

Xmarks + Lastpass, killer combination. I tried Delicious for a while years ago but making bookmarks public or sharing wasn't appealing to me.

I rarely bookmark sites at all. For the few things I do have bookmarked, I just use the browser's native feature.

Although syncing across PCs would come in handy, for some reason I've kept relying on the browser's native bookmarks system. In fact, one of the top features in Firefox for me is bookmarking something (100+ bookmarks that I use somewhat often) and then recalling that bookmark with a few keystrokes from the address bar (it will learn those that you use more often or recent). Chrome behaves similarly but it tends to give more priority to search queries, no wonder why.

For all of my browsers, I just use whatever bookmarking comes standard. I sync my Chrome bookmarks through the Google services, and my IE9 bookmarks through Live Mesh. On Chrome, I also use an extension called "Session Manager", which allows me to save groups of tabs. This is very useful, as I typically check the same sets of websites in the morning (my 'morning tabs'). It's also useful when I am programing something and need to temporarily save several (not bookmark worthy) websites just through the programming process.
I would highly recommend "Session Manager" for Chrome, and I am eagerly waiting for something similar for IE9 (or the IE9 extension developer APIs to make one myself... if these already exist, please someone point me to them).

I mostly rely on Google Chrome native bookmark feature for most of my stuff, but I still use ReadItLater to sync and download article on my WiFi-only Archos 32 (Android 2.2) which is actually helping me at work by no procrastinating as much as before and letting me read potentially interesting articles in the subway instead.

I use Xmarks alongside LastPass for my bookmarking needs - works perfect across every computer I use. :)

I use "Enhanced bookmarks" on iGoogle for a few common bookmarks. I use the RSS feeds on iGoogle as kind of bookmarks. I pin tabs as app tabs for those I often use. I twit pages I find interesting and might want to access in the future (this recently replaced sending them to myself by e-mail). Plus I keep about 100 tabs open with pages that I think I might use in the near future. I rarely use actual bookmarks.

Opera. Yet one more reason why it's the best power user browser out there - built-in sync not only of bookmarks but typed history, content blocker and the built-in notes feature and more. You just browse on whichever computer you happen to be and have all your data there without any further worries. Plus that it's all stored on Opera's servers, which means they have a serious vested interest in keeping it safe as not doing so would have a potentially serious negative effect on browser adoption.

You can also access the bookmarks via the My Opera web if you're on some other, lesser browser... temporarily. ;)

Just pin my high use sites to the link bar and the favorites folder to organize links for any research I might be doing.

I don't use any of bookmark utility, and only bookmark using the native bookmark feature is ........ my router's configuration page. Although, I do use 'a more custom' page which has links to all the sites I frequently visit and 'periodically' update it, in fact, I am so good at updating it that I haven't bothered to change 3DS to 'Techspot' ;)

I use Opera with its synchroization service, so i can use my bookmarks from eny computer with Opera

I use Google Chrome's bookmark sync feature, but I also use Google Bookmarks service for stuff I'm researching because I like the notes feature.

Just the standard little gold star in the Firefox address bar. I don't have more than ten or fifteen book markets at a time.

Google syncs between several of my PCs. I think that may be one reason I've stuck with Chrome.

Anyone know of a similuar alternative? Looking to go away from Chrome.

Back