Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite game soundtracks

Matthew DeCarlo

With the constant barrage of Humble Bundle-like deals, I've developed a bad habit of buying discounted indie games and only playing them for an hour or two -- if at all. Although I feel guilty when that happens with pricey AAA releases, my conscience is usually clear when it comes to indie packs. Sure, they're absurdly cheap and the money generally goes toward a good cause anyway, but the real reason is because many of them have spectacular soundtracks that are worth several times the asking price of only a buck or two per game.

Indie games have been a great way for me to discover new music, particularly instrumentals, which is what I prefer listening to while working. It's hard to name one soundtrack as my favorite, but I've really enjoyed the music from Capsized, Sol Survivor, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, The Binding of Isaac, FTL: Faster Than LightHotline Miami and many others, including big budget games such as the Splinter Cell, HitmanElder Scrolls and Mass Effect series. What are your favorite game soundtracks -- indie or otherwise?

Permalink to story.

Elder scrolls, specifically oblivion and the super meat boy sound track. It gets real when the rapture dark world music comes on.

killing floor has an awesome gaming sound track, but not good enough to listen to in my spare time.

EDIT: and how could I have forgotten Diablo 1 tristram music..

Just a few:

Baldur’s Gate 1&2
Max Payne 2
Halo 1&2
Deus Ex HR
Black Mesa
And … C&C Tiberian Sun

So many great soundtracks out there. :)

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Deus Ex 1's soundtrack, my favourite for sure.
Also Black Mesa, Frozen Synapse, Samarost 2 and Faster than Light have epic indie soundtracks.

There are several for me but I want to give a particular shout out to 'KIng's Bounty: The Legend'. The music was epic and perfect for every particular area you traveled in. It really felt like I was actually there.

Film composer Brian Tyler (http://briantyler.com/Site/Home.html) has some plenty of awesome soundtrack in video games such as Need for Speed The Run, Modern Warfare 3, and Far Cry 3. So whatever he compose is going to be my favorite. I'm a fan of indie-rock.

If most games lived up to their soundtracks I'd be a happy man - so many great ones, a lot of which were MIDI/MOD types (Ultima 3, Star Control II, Blood, XCOM, etc.) More recently I've liked Burnout II, Left 4 Dead and a few others. Anything by Jeremy Soule or Jesper Kyd is typically outstanding. TES: Oblivion might rate as my favorite..it just doesn't get old, which is kind of astounding. I also liked much of WoW's music.

Rainbow 6: Rouge Spear about 12 years ago. Was playing on a Pent II 400 mhz with 512mb of ram, 16mb video card lol. Seems like forever ago. Was good music. I forget the composer.

Those final fantasy in original playstation console, gta vice city, nfs shift 2, gran turismo and metal gear series.

Defense Grid: The Awakening has some great music in it. In fact, I have several cuts from that game on my workout mp3 player.

Oblviion is my all time favorite and the donkey kong country games are pretty good. Portal 2 has some good things thrown in there as far as a remember. Halo1- 3 has some nice pieces, everything after that in halo is just meh and generic.

Mafia II. Driving around the city in a 1950s Corvette (called a "Frigate" in the game) while listening to old rock & roll songs by Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. Great slice of post-World War II American life.

Deus Ex 1 wins by far, I love the music in it.
At second place comes the music to Settlers II (Yea, released in 1996, I still play it sometimes in Dosbox)

I also really like the music in World of Warcraft, I don't play it any longer but I do have the music on my playlist and it brings a smile to my face when I play it :)

Back