Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite video game genre

Jos

We’ve got an article coming up next week that we hope will help you keep track of some of the most anticipated PC game releases for 2011. Like we did last year, we’ll be listing around 30 titles spanning nearly every genre alongside their expected release date and other relevant information. From the looks of it, gamers are in for another great year, with most of 2010’s delayed titles finally hitting store shelves and many other anticipated games making their debut.

The role-playing genre seems to be getting quite a few proponents this year, with several of them focusing on massively multiplayer online gameplay, and of course there won’t be any shortage of fast-paced first-person shooting action with Crysis 2 and Duke Nukem Forever – we’re crossing our fingers for that last one. Besides telling us what games you’re looking forward to the most, this week we want to know what’s your favorite type of game.

In the embedded poll below we’ve included a list with some the most common video game genres – which we simplified for practical reasons, as game categories can get really specific nowadays. You can tick one or more options, and of course if we’ve missed something or you want to elaborate feel free to sound off in the comments.

Permalink to story.

Shooters first and RTS second although my all time favorite game is the RTS game Homeworld.

i think she means like band hero and such...

shooters and racing games... i am terrible at RTS

I guess it would be easier for me to say which genres I don't care for - sports, platforms and the above mentioned music/dance games. Other than those, my gaming library pretty much covers it all with a heavy emphasis on the hybrid shooter/rpg's like Fallout, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc.

EXCellR8 said:
i think she means like band hero and such...

shooters and racing games... i am terrible at RTS

Oh c'mon Ex....Metro 2033 is your all time favorite :p:wave:

Action / Adventure
Puzzle (Only a favorite in the case of Portal, which is arguably a FPS)
RPG / MMORPG
Shooter

I tend to lean towards FPS as a force of habbit these days but honestly, enough with the military shooters.... arcade racers like Burnout revenge and NFS:HP (yeah im a criterion fanboy) are good to break it up but even they can get a little tiresome.

PSN and XBLA games are becoming the new breeding place for innovative ideas and concepts for games (on consoles that is.. i never got into PC gaming but im guessing the equivelent would be steam) ... That Game Company have really come up with some unique concepts and I really enjoyed playing through flower and am looking forward to their next game Journey because it does get tiresome looking down the barrel of a gun.

Favourite Genre - Arcade, theres always something new and different out.

With games like Pacman CE, Geometry wars, Super Stardust HD, Flower, Dead Nation, how can you not like arcade ... unless you're prone to seizures. Graphics are nice, but give me gameplay over graphics anyday. Even CoD :BO had its own secret title menu arcade game which was awesome.

As you can tell ... not much of a pc gamer.

I usually follow shooters and sports games, maybe because neither genre requires complete time commitment but can be enjoyed in shorter bursts. That said, a handful of my favorite all time games have also been RTS, platformers and even puzzle games.

hello ...

depends on the platform :)

PC - Everything, but mostly MMOs & Strategy
Console - Action / Adventure & Car racing
Mobile - Puzzles

If i had to define the 2 most favorite genre: Diablo Like & God of War Like :) LOL

'hey ... it's all about G.A.M.I.N.G !!!'

cheers!

I prefer MMO's. I have been playing games for 20+ years, and find that the quality of games goes up, the length of the game shrinks, and I complete it shortly there after. The joy of MMO's is that they never truely have an ending. I've jumped from WoW, EQ, and such and located EvE which is holding my interest now.

RPGs - first and foremost but NOT hack and slash. H&S are real snoozers... Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Divine Divinity, the Gothic Series, NWN 1 and 2, Morrowind, to name a few of what I prefer.

RTS - the C&C universe is my favorite.

Back