TechSpot

Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite video game genre

By Jos
Jan 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. We’ve got an article coming up next week that we hope will help you keep track of some of the most anticipated PC game releases for 2011. Like we did last year, we’ll be listing around 30 titles spanning nearly every genre alongside their expected release date and other relevant information. From the looks of it, gamers are in for another great year, with most of 2010’s delayed titles finally hitting store shelves and many other anticipated games making their debut.

Read the whole story

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,093   +86 Staff Member

Shooters when I'm tired, strategy when I'm not.

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +237

Shooters first and RTS second although my all time favorite game is the RTS game Homeworld.

4. g4mer

g4mer TS Enthusiast Posts: 340

FPS and fighting !

5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,378   +127

Now what would music games go under...?

6. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Like audiosurf?

7. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

i think she means like band hero and such...

shooters and racing games... i am terrible at RTS

8. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,093   +86 Staff Member

I've updated the poll with an "other" option (it should be visible soon).

9. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,386   +425

I guess it would be easier for me to say which genres I don't care for - sports, platforms and the above mentioned music/dance games. Other than those, my gaming library pretty much covers it all with a heavy emphasis on the hybrid shooter/rpg's like Fallout, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc.

10. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 197

RTS all the way and beyond! :)

11. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,912   +92

Oh c'mon Ex....Metro 2033 is your all time favorite :p:wave:

12. Recycle

Recycle TS Rookie Posts: 53

I picked other for music/rhythm games.
    My obscure favorites aside, DDR is still pretty popular.

13. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 893   +133

Action / Adventure
    Puzzle (Only a favorite in the case of Portal, which is arguably a FPS)
    RPG / MMORPG
    Shooter

14. Zirotek

Zirotek TS Rookie Posts: 25

I tend to lean towards FPS as a force of habbit these days but honestly, enough with the military shooters.... arcade racers like Burnout revenge and NFS:HP (yeah im a criterion fanboy) are good to break it up but even they can get a little tiresome.

PSN and XBLA games are becoming the new breeding place for innovative ideas and concepts for games (on consoles that is.. i never got into PC gaming but im guessing the equivelent would be steam) ... That Game Company have really come up with some unique concepts and I really enjoyed playing through flower and am looking forward to their next game Journey because it does get tiresome looking down the barrel of a gun.

Favourite Genre - Arcade, theres always something new and different out.

With games like Pacman CE, Geometry wars, Super Stardust HD, Flower, Dead Nation, how can you not like arcade ... unless you're prone to seizures. Graphics are nice, but give me gameplay over graphics anyday. Even CoD :BO had its own secret title menu arcade game which was awesome.

As you can tell ... not much of a pc gamer.

15. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +357

I usually follow shooters and sports games, maybe because neither genre requires complete time commitment but can be enjoyed in shorter bursts. That said, a handful of my favorite all time games have also been RTS, platformers and even puzzle games.

16. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

I play anything that's good in the genre. Except perhaps hardcore simulation.

17. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Shooters for me, mainly FPS but third-person also depending on story and game play.

18. Yad

Yad TS Rookie Posts: 41

FPS and RPG,sometimes strategy :)

19. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

depends on the platform :)

PC - Everything, but mostly MMOs & Strategy
    Console - Action / Adventure & Car racing
    Mobile - Puzzles

If i had to define the 2 most favorite genre: Diablo Like & God of War Like :) LOL

'hey ... it's all about G.A.M.I.N.G !!!'

cheers!

20. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,578   +47

Role Play for me....I love a good story

21. I prefer MMO's. I have been playing games for 20+ years, and find that the quality of games goes up, the length of the game shrinks, and I complete it shortly there after. The joy of MMO's is that they never truely have an ending. I've jumped from WoW, EQ, and such and located EvE which is holding my interest now.

22. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 159   +8

RTS ! for me

23. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,171   +37

RPGs - first and foremost but NOT hack and slash. H&S are real snoozers... Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Divine Divinity, the Gothic Series, NWN 1 and 2, Morrowind, to name a few of what I prefer.

RTS - the C&C universe is my favorite.

24. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Maniac Posts: 346   +18

MMORPG's are the bomb... World of Warcraft specifically.

25. NickV

NickV TS Rookie

I like Shooter gaming

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.