TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: A profile of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos

By Matthew
Mar 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Taking the long view (a profile of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos) Inside a remote mountain in Texas, a gargantuan clock is being pieced together, capable of telling the time for the…

Read the whole story
  2. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,253   +144

42 million on a clock.........

More money than sense springs to mind.
  3. Raswan

Raswan TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 280

But everyone loves it, because now they have their replacement for Steve Jobs as "the" visionary of the web. How many times did they mention that comparison in the story? Five? As nearly as I can tell, the only requirement to be named a visionary is loads of money and the willingness to hop onto the bandwagon just a little bit earlier than the other guys, so it seems like you're leading the pack. Everything I've read about Bezos tells me he's secretive, a little bit paranoid, and a lot of bit weird.
  4. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 697   +212

Agreed. Those who make tech (or politics, entertainment or whatever) their religion will always be looking for their next high priest in the cult of personality. What truly staggers me is that anyone uses Facebook. Its about the least friendly site on the web and its main goal is invading your privacy and selling you out to the highest bidder. I guess at day's end most people are just narcissistic *****s who can't be saved from themselves. Anyone who puts their personal details online deserves what they get. I won't even get into all of the better uses there are for 42 million.
  5. Butch

Butch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 112

Love them or hate them, Jobs and Bezos do have a lot in common and they have been instrumental in the way we live and work. Very few achieve this level of success and you simply do not get to that level by being stupid. So if Bezos thinks a clock in a mountain is a good idea, then so be it....I guess..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.