Weekend tech reading: AMD cutting HD 2000/3000/4000 support on Linux?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD to drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst support (on Linux) In what will certainly be controversial and disappointing to some Radeon Linux desktop users, AMD will soon announce that they will effectively be discontinuing support for several Radeon product families from their proprietary Catalyst driver. After that point, for future Linux distribution updates, the open-source Radeon Linux driver will be your only option for accelerated graphics. Phoronix

Memory profiling -- launching, graphs and markers It is said that "A point of view is worth 80 IQ points"; the meaning perhaps being that if we can look at things in different ways then we might understand them better. The Memory Profiler that ships with the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 provides, in its own way, multiple views into the memory usage of your application, and in an earlier post we had seen how specific views helped us understand one particular issue with the application better. But even before we got to the specific views, there was a graph and a couple of rows of markers, remember? Windows Phone Dev Blog

Fez and the death of the pixel "Gomez is a 2D creature on a voyage of discovery into the mysterious 3rd dimension." Polytron’s official description of Fez, released today for Xbox Live Arcade, succinctly explains the game’s core conceit. But it also points to a larger truth about the game: that this is a 2D platformer released into a medium where, in the mainstream at least, 2D graphics and sprites are ostensibly out-dated and where 3D reigns. Hookshot Inc.

The geeks who saved Prince of Persia’s source code from digital death He saved all the videotape he took in October 1985 of his brother running and jumping around their old neighborhood, footage that he rotoscoped into the animations for his Apple II game Prince of Persia. He saved all of the meticulous journals he kept of the production process, documenting each tiny step of the creation of the landmark hit game. Wired

First man to make 1 million Wikipedia edits Justin Knapp, 30, from Indianapolis, has edited Wikipedia at a rate of 385 edits per day, or just over one every four minutes, since signing up in March 2005. The millionth edit was announced on Wikipedia yesterday. Wikipedia, whose editors work on a voluntary basis, removed the option allowing anyone to edit an entry in 2007 after a series of unreliable updates. Telegraph

Report: Samsung launching cloud service on May 3 Samsung is reportedly prepping its own cloud service to stream movies, photos, music, and other content, according to a report. Maeil Business reported (via Google Translate) that the so-called S-Cloud could be launched on May 3 at an event in London. Samsung has already sent out invitations to the event, where the "next Galaxy" device is scheduled to be launched. PCMag

Oracle and Florian Mueller got hitched Florian Mueller has confessed -- in the interests of being "transparent", he says -- that Oracle has hired him, for his analysis of FRAND issues. I know. You are shocked, shocked. Who'd have ever guessed? We did. Groklaw did. We get suspicious when someone's "analysis" is uniformly that Google is doomed. It's my Spidey sense. And it's usually on the money, as they say. Groklaw

Windows Phone is headed for a life of fragmentation If you’re one of the handful who has taken a Windows Phone leap of faith, bad news: Your device is forever stuck with Windows Phone 7. People close to the company say Microsoft will only make Windows Phone 8 available on new phones that are released later this year, according to reports. ExtremeTech

Microsoft idea: Analyze Facebook posts to deduce mood, interests, education Thanks to its Facebook partnership, Microsoft has been strongly positioned to use social media to enhance its Bing search engine, incorporating the preferences of a person’s friends into the search results that person sees. But this would take it to a whole new level. GeekWire

Flashback infections not waning after all; 650,000 Macs still hijacked Analysis declaring the demise of the Flashback Mac backdoor has been greatly exaggerated, said researchers with a Russia-based antivirus firm, who on late Friday estimated there are 650,000 unique OS X machines currently infected by the malware. Ars Technica

Why the Halo Movie failed to launch The Master Chiefs left the offices of Creative Artists Agency around midday on June 6, 2005 in a fleet of limo vans. In their green, red and blue Spartan armour the cybernetically-enhanced super soldiers made quite a spectacle. Each stood six-foot-three tall, visored helmets obscuring their faces. Wired

Video gamers defeat energy efficiency Game consoles like the XBox 360 have long been known to be energy hogs, but researchers at Carnegie Mellon have come up with what may be the most precise measure yet of their electrical consumption -- and they offer a painless solution to the problem. The WSJ

The lost Steve Jobs tapes A treasure trove of unearthed interviews, conducted by the writer who knew him best, reveals how Jobs's ultimate success at Apple can be traced directly to his so-called wilderness years. Fast Company

Permalink to story.

If the move to placing HD2/3/4000 on legacy support extends to Windows (as the article surmises) it might well prove to be a bigger head scratcher I would think.
The least AMD can do is make sure that before they ditch the cards from mainstream driver support, they have owners covered with a stable and encompassing driver for Win8 (and some would say Win7 !).
I'd think that the original owners of the cards would likely be looking at a card upgrade after four years in any case, but it would provide good PR for AMD with the people buying a budget box with entry level graphics who might want to upgrade to a cheap HD 4890 or HD 4870X2 (for example)...and I can't help but think that if AMD are going to these lengths to shave a few MB off the driver package and save a few man-hours in driver code writing/debugging, then HD 5000 owners might be in a similar position next year.

I disagree with AMD dropping support for the 4000 series ATI cards - their still quite capable and will run even some of the newest games at good quality. Clearly its all about selling new products, but people have grown very tired of this practice. There's plenty of data that shows that people will support the company that supports their products the best and the longest. Just because I'm still using an ATI 4800 in an old machine doesn't mean I wouldn't be looking for a new card for my primary rig. I want to know that a newer piece of software will function properly with my previous video card. Note that I say <i>properly<i> - I don't expect performance gains or further optimization on a 5-yr old bit of hardware! Whoever has the best legacy support is likely to get my money. A shame that corporations don't have the collective intelligence to understand this reality.

I've been expecting a drop in driver support for non DX11 cards. What I don't understand is the drop in only Linux drivers (This is coming from a Windows user). I say if they are going to drop support, they need to drop it altogether or keep supporting both OS's.

I hate you AMD. Open source drivers are no match to Catalyst drivers regards to power management, 3D acceleration performance and OpenCL support. With opensource drivers games will run like a slide show and because of lack of power management your card will run at maximum temperature when it's idle too.

I remember struggling with someone in forum about AMD drop support for their cards quickly, now shutup! Here is proof ^

I hedged my bets on windows phone, but I still have another year till I get my upgrade. Also, I got my phone because of the slider(LG quantum), It is a disappointment that I wont be able to run WP8 on my phone, at the same time, waiting for my contact to expire will give me time to scope out the market and let the OS mature. I'll only upgrade to a slider(that was the buying feature of my phone), it's still a bummer....

This move reminds me of Creative, how they ditch devices driver support fairly quickly and always when it comes to a windows cycle they ditch support for a so called legacy device faster than one can say "screw you".

If this is AMD's move to secure more money due to their recent losses AMD reported a net loss of US$590 million in the financial year then i think yes they might temporarily gain money from this from users upgrading but at the cost of losing about 15% of its loyal customers who know that the 4xxx series doesn't deserve the legacy badge.

Nvidia currently still support a vast line up when it comes to drivers, going as far back as the Ge Force 5 FX series. If Nvidia can show that kind of resolve / restraint and hold back from forcing the consumers hand. Why on earth is AMD doing this when the ramifications from its loyalists who feel like they have had the two finger salute given to them from AMD, might just reply in kind and by next financial years end that will show on AMD's resumee once again as a potential loss.

I have a feeling some loyalist Red members will be chanting "Better of dead than red!".

If this is AMD's move to secure more money due to their recent losses AMD reported a net loss of US$590 million in the financial year
I think the SeaMicro acquisition was included in that number. AMD main problem is strategic management that can't think it's way out of a telephone booth - most of AMD's losses are due to getting into bad contracts and then bailing -with the resultant write-off's going against the debit side of the books.
Nvidia currently still support a vast line up when it comes to drivers, going as far back as the Ge Force 5 FX series.
Technically, GeForce drivers (the non legacy variety) maintain support for the next series up (6000 series). FX 5000 and below are on legacy drivers.

Fantastic news......not, I just moved up from 8800GT's to 4870x2's on 2 machines, with cards bought second hand.

To my surprise, never having the money before in 2008 to sample the the 4870x2 it can still cope admirably with todays recent games, it has the same technical specifications as a 5870 save for DX11 which in itself isn't mutually exclusive for gaming as yet. If your going to cut support then cut HD2000 and HD3000 series, Not the 4800 series, the RV700 was a landmark architecture.

NVidia isn't cutting driver support for 8800GT's any time soon and this architechture is based on 2006 and from the 8800GTX.

Now what am I going to do when all the new games coming out after June 2012 end up broken on these AMD cards because of no new drivers. Half of me is wishing I would have just left things alone and stayed with 8800GT, not everyone can afford the latest and greatest tech. I hate marketing bull and hype. I'm old school, and I like fiddling with old tech no one wants anymore.

This decision is just plain stupid, shafting over a large number of users who see no need for the necessity of DX11 gaming yet, nor Windows 8.

Cards that old do not need updates anyways. So people can use older versions of the existing software. Though I do hope AMD does keep it among the list of drivers, so people can locate the appropriate ones quickly and easily. If they remove the older series from the driver tree's on the main support website, that could make things a fair bit annoying (searching through version numbers). In anycase, even the 5000 series is fairly old now. However 5000 - 7000 all support direct x 11, so they will be the most supported.

Except i'm not convinced that updates are not needed for older cards, not when it comes to gaming anyhow. Crysis 2 badly flickered on 4800 series recently until Catalyst 11.12. What happens to all the unforeseen glitches in all games released after June 2012 when catalyst support for 4800 series stops and the only thing thats ever going to solve these issues is that the driver needs fixing.

Shall we all just throw away our working cards we're more than still happy with and adequate to cope with even todays games ?!?

The green camp nevertheless isn't pulling stunts like this.

[FONT=Helvetica]AMD cutting [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica]support[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica] on ATI cards to better focus there driver team, This is good and besides the open ATI Linix driver works better in my opinion.[/FONT]

Wow whiner central, the 2000/3000 are 4-5 years old.. when did it become law that companies had to support a product longer then they felt like? considering a 6570 is $39, the " don't have a fortune to spend on the newest GFx card" is laughable. New games are not going to work any better with the old cards regardless of new drivers, low res no one ever has an issue with low res settings, and if you wailing about hydravision support on a new game then you should be using new cards anyway, so that argument is out. What it boils down to is silly demanding silly things, no company is required to pander to your silly demands. Lay off the 4th coffee and save that money for a few weeks and you've got a new card that's supported, if that's too hard for you to do.. then undo your velcro shoes and sansabelt pants and stfu.

considering a 6570 is $39, the " don't have a fortune to spend on the newest GFx card" is laughable. New games are not going to work any better with the old cards regardless of new drivers, low res no one ever has an issue with low res settings, and if you wailing about hydravision support on a new game then you should be using new cards anyway, so that argument is out.

Ok. I don't think you understand how the series thing works. The higher the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the series are, the better performance there is. Just because you jump up a number or 2 in the first number, that doesn't mean your performance is better than every card in the series below. My 5830 will absolutely rape that 6570 in demanding games. So will many of the 4000 series. So we should all drop our current, decent performing cards and buy a $40 card that sucks balls at gaming just so we can have driver support? The rest of your post is a joke so I'm not even going to quote that part.

"considering a 6570 is $39, the " don't have a fortune to spend on the newest GFx card" is laughable. New games are not going to work any better with the old cards regardless of new drivers, low res no one ever has an issue with low res settings, and if you wailing about hydravision support on a new game then you should be using new cards anyway, so that argument is out.

Ok. I don't think you understand how the series thing works. The higher the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the series are, the better performance there is. Just because you jump up a number or 2 in the first number, that doesn't mean your performance is better than every card in the series below. My 5830 will absolutely rape that 6570 in demanding games. So will many of the 4000 series. So we should all drop our current, decent performing cards and buy a $40 card that sucks balls at gaming just so we can have driver support? The rest of your post is a joke so I'm not even going to quote that part."

QFT. It is a shame that AMD isn't going to support their linux customers anymore.

Wendig0 said:
"considering a 6570 is $39, the " don't have a fortune to spend on the newest GFx card" is laughable. New games are not going to work any better with the old cards regardless of new drivers, low res no one ever has an issue with low res settings, and if you wailing about hydravision support on a new game then you should be using new cards anyway, so that argument is out.
It's not just about games and exotic setups. It's about system stability, if you have a look at driver change logs there is always fixes for visual bugs in games, screen flickering, etc, so it isn't a good reason to drop support for 4000 series which still kick some major ***.
Now assume Windows 10 or Linux kernel 5 is out, they don't work with old drivers anymore and need compatible drivers and AMD has just dropped support for your mighty $500 DirectX11 card, because DirectX13 with some small improvements which you don't care at all is out. Now how do you feel?

Really I don't see any reason to put my 4890 aside because of some silly games which force people to buy new cards to have driver support.

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

r600g/radeon now has good power management support and 3D acceleration is much improved these days with gallium. This is probably at least partially why AMD have dropped support for anything pre R800 from fglrx (Catalyst).

The difference between ATI and Nvidia is that ATI have helped develop the FLOSS ati/radeon driver whereas nvidia have provided no assistance with the reverse engineered nouveau driver.

Windows people don't need to complain - you can just install the legacy driver.

It's been officially revealed that updates to the drivers for these series and below will be quarterly, starting with an 8.97 release branch in May for 4800 series and below, 8.970 has already been leaked on another site already and the 2nd gpu clock stuck in 3d at bootup bug is still broken here on 4870x2 series card with 8.970 the same as it was in catalyst 12.3 whql+.

I hope things will be in a better position to be able to play Farcry 3 released in September on a 4870x2 properly without glitches and without being left for months with a broken driver.

All of the 12.x series so far has been problematic on these cards for me. Currently rocking 11.12 till things get fixed.

Dropping monthly support for cards scoring 7.5 in gaming graphics for the Windows 7 experience index still...laughable.

Lumping 4000 series in the same boat as the inadaquate by todays standards HD2000 series....an utter joke. Whats next in line 5000 series when the 8000 series comes out?

Only obselete cards when actually obsolete and incapable, not by engineering obsolescence. Quarterley releases that will fade to nothing once the existing active userbase is dead. This kind of practice will annoy a lot of users. Way to go AMD.

Back