Weekend tech reading: ARM-based Win 8 devices block other OSes

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft confirms UEFI fears, locks down ARM devices At the beginning of December, we warned the Copyright Office that operating system vendors would use UEFI secure boot anticompetitively, by colluding with hardware partners to exclude alternative operating systems. As Glyn Moody points out, Microsoft has wasted no time in revising its Windows Hardware Certification Requirements to effectively ban most alternative operating systems on ARM-based devices that ship with Windows 8. Software Freedom

Facebook on track for one billion users in 2012 A billion. With a "B". That is how many people on planet Earth will be using the Facebook social network by sometime around August this year. Facebook revealed at its F8 conference in September that it had reached the milestone of 800 million users. iCrossing, an online analytics firm, has examined the trends at Facebook, and extrapolated the growth to project that Facebook will pass one billion users in August... Itworld

EPIC v. Department of Homeland Security: Media monitoring EPIC is pursuing a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security for information about the agency's surveillance of social networks and news organizations.In February 2011, the Department of Homeland Security announced that the agency planned to implement a program that would monitor media content... EPIC

Samantha Garvey's story: From homeless shelter to Intel semifinalist Samantha Garvey was overjoyed. She didn't think a kid living in a homeless shelter would have a chance in the national Intel science competition, but the 17-year-old Brentwood High School senior was named a semifinalist Wednesday. Garvey, who spent 2 1/2 years on a marine-life study, is one of 61 Long Islanders with a shot at Intel's top prize: $100,000. Newsday

Apple lists its suppliers for 1st time Apple released a list of its major suppliers for the first time on Friday, bringing the company up to par with other big American corporations, including Hewlett-Packard, Intel and Nike, which have released similar lists. The list accompanied a report detailing troubling practices inside many of the technology giant’s suppliers. Apple said audits revealed that 93 supplier facilities... NY Times

AMD clarifies 7000M strategy CES has wrapped up now and we’re all back home, but we’ve still got a few items to cover. While Anand was meeting with AMD on Thursday to go over some other their other tech, I got a chance to head into a separate area for a briefing on their mobile technology. There are two items I want to quickly discuss: the Radeon 7000M lineup, and Trinity. AnandTech

Windows AMD Bulldozer performance patch Microsoft unleashes two patches for the AMD FX processors. This was announced and is thus no surprise. We want to know whether and how the updates are able to increase performance. For this purpose, we first want to general considerations and then see if this can be confirmed by test results. Tweak PC (translated from German)

Yep: Origin required for all PC versions of Mass Effect 3 Physical and digital PC versions of Mass Effect 3 alike will require Electronic Arts' Origin, according to developer BioWare. In slightly less annoying news, unlimited game installs are allowed and access to the single-player campaign requires a one-time authorization rather than a constant Internet connection. Destructoid

Email in your eye? Next-generation video screen glasses could lay messages or GPS over your field of vision As advances in computer technology make gadgets ever smaller and more portable the idea of carrying a screen of any kind could soon be outdated. Consumer products with screens have dropped in size from computer to laptop to tablet via phone. Daily Mail

Network by Michael Rigley Information technology has become a ubiquitous presence. By visualizing the processes that underlie our interactions with this technology we can trace what happens to the information we feed into the network. Vimeo (video)

Permalink to story.

Hmm this is the first time I ever considered switching to a none windows os. I dont even use multiple os's but Id like to know that I could if I wanted too.

WTF is Microsoft's problem? Haven't they learned anything over the years? Stop being dickheads already. I'm quite tempted to buy a Windows 8 tablet when they're released but I still want the option to boot different OSes from time to time. If they're going to behave like this I'll just forget about it.

Tried to give an Android tablet a shot today at Futureshop ..WOW was I frustrated.

I guess my iPad 1 is still nice!

i'll try WIndows 8 when it comes out .. to see if another OS annoys me.

I don't remember anyone writing an article about why they should be able to put Android OS on a Windows Phone even though they BOTH already use ARM chips. Exactly, this story is a joke.

will x86 software be able to emulate on the ARM architecture? It seems like something MS could do if they wanted to.

Guest said:
Tried to give an Android tablet a shot today at Futureshop ..WOW was I frustrated.

I guess my iPad 1 is still nice!

i'll try WIndows 8 when it comes out .. to see if another OS annoys me.

What? It's a very simple OS, i'm not sure what could possibly so frustrating about it. If my mom, of all people, can learn it, anyone can learn it, lol.

But anyway, back on topic, I can see why they are doing it, but I don't agree with it. Not a great way to do business, in my opinion. They probably wouldn't have done this had it not been for the fact that developers have already found a way to port ICS onto a Windows phone :p

matrix86 said:
They probably wouldn't have done this had it not been for the fact that developers have already found a way to port ICS onto a Windows phone :p

No, they would still have done it ;) Microsoft wishes it had apples control but until they start manufacturing their own shiz, they won't have it.

Back