TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: ARM-based Win 8 devices block other OSes

By Matthew
Jan 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft confirms UEFI fears, locks down ARM devices At the beginning of December, we warned the Copyright Office that operating system vendors would use UEFI secure boot anticompetitively, by colluding with…

Read the whole story

2. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Hmm this is the first time I ever considered switching to a none windows os. I dont even use multiple os's but Id like to know that I could if I wanted too.

3. WTF is Microsoft's problem? Haven't they learned anything over the years? Stop being dickheads already. I'm quite tempted to buy a Windows 8 tablet when they're released but I still want the option to boot different OSes from time to time. If they're going to behave like this I'll just forget about it.

4. Tried to give an Android tablet a shot today at Futureshop ..WOW was I frustrated.

I guess my iPad 1 is still nice!

i'll try WIndows 8 when it comes out .. to see if another OS annoys me.

5. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 671   +73

Just get a x86 version if that's such a big deal to you.

6. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

I don't remember anyone writing an article about why they should be able to put Android OS on a Windows Phone even though they BOTH already use ARM chips. Exactly, this story is a joke.

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,555   +859

will x86 software be able to emulate on the ARM architecture? It seems like something MS could do if they wanted to.

8. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

What? It's a very simple OS, i'm not sure what could possibly so frustrating about it. If my mom, of all people, can learn it, anyone can learn it, lol.

But anyway, back on topic, I can see why they are doing it, but I don't agree with it. Not a great way to do business, in my opinion. They probably wouldn't have done this had it not been for the fact that developers have already found a way to port ICS onto a Windows phone :p

9. tragicallyhip

tragicallyhip TS Booster Posts: 84   +9

This just means some OS will play nice on win8 devices, conclusion? Linux yes/Android no

10. Where is lawfer's comment to the UEFI article..

11. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

No, they would still have done it ;) Microsoft wishes it had apples control but until they start manufacturing their own shiz, they won't have it.