Weekend tech reading: 'BadNews' malware found on Google Play

By Matthew
Apr 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Lookout has discovered BadNews, a new malware family, in 32 apps across four different developer accounts in Google Play. According to Google Play statistics, the combined affected applications have been downloaded between 2,000,000 -- 9,000,000 times. We notified Google and...

Read more
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,616   +82

Another clone to Google Play Store is 1 Mobile Market works the same. I use Dr. Web pretty good for catching any pest on Android.
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,587   +864

OK, I'm going to cry BS on this one........

While the article does state the is a weighting compensation, HDDs are still higher than "pre-flood stage". That, and the prices aren't terribly stable.

For a while Newegg was using the 600GB WD SATA 3 Velociraptor as a football, dipping it as low as $99.95! Lately, they're calling it a bargain @ $169.95.....:eek:

Because storage capacity per disc has increased so dramatically, the low, low, price per GB of the largest drives sweeps other pricing anomalies under the rug.

I found a 320GB Seagate "Barracuda", that I bought God knows when. (but certainly within the last 3 years). I looked up the invoice and found it billed $34.95!. Haven't seen it for less that $50.00, (and usually more), since the waters receded.

What I'm really surprised about is the DDR-3 is headed back up in price, and I've not seen nor heard, so much as a whimper about it.
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,616   +82

Off the topic with the above has nothing to do with this Malware issue with Android Google Play Store.
  5. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

There are 11 articles.
    I built a computer for someone back in November and I put one of those 3tb Western Digital HDDs and I got it for $139. I don't think this is BS.
  6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,587   +864

I thought I was very specific in stating that the huge drop in per GB pricing is in the largest, multi-TB sector.

I'm not totally sure if all of those models were even available pre-flood, With that said, even if they were, they were recently released, and the prices were natively inflated.

I'm simply stating that the prices lower capacity drives haven't receded to pre-flood levels, and the prices on those and the "Velociraptor" series are being set a bit capriciously.

The simple reason for that phenomenon is this; there is no market price pressure on smaller drives, as they are being replaced with SSD.

Let's not call this a "tip", there "tipster", since the pun is so obvious. Instead, let's call it a "suggestion". Please don't try any impromptu moderation on my posts unless you've actually read the entire "Weekend Tech Reading" page.

I made that "off topic leap" myself years ago. FWIW, I've come to consider it a rookie mistake,.

Just for the record, I found the rest of the articles way more interesting the the Android issue. I don't, and won't own a smart phone Since I'm entirely out of that market segment, I simply don't care how many of them are infected, how bad someone is being ripped off for their data usage, how far you can drop one, etc., etc., etc.
    ghasmanjr likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.