Weekend tech reading: 'Don't be evil' is 'bullshit,' Adobe is lazy, says Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Steve Jobs: Google's 'don't be evil' bantra is 'bullshit,' Adobe is lazy After a big public announcement of the sort Apple had this week for the iPad CEO Steve Jobs often takes time in the day or two afterwards to have a Town Hall at One Infinite Loop, making himself available for questions from employees bold enough to stand up and take one right between the eyes. Wired

Apple makes $208 on each $499 iPad According to a bill of materials (BOM) analysis by Brian Marshall of BroadPoint AmTech, the cost of goods inside Apple's 16GB Wi-Fi-only iPad totals $270.50. That figure includes a $10 line item dedicated to manufacturing, but doesn't include another $20 set aside for under-warranty service costs. Adding the latter makes Marshall's bottom-line total $290.50. Computerworld

Wondering why you can't pre-order an iPad? It isn't legal yet You know you can’t obtain an iPad for least three months, but you may not know the reason you can’t even buy one in advance: Apple has not yet obtained the necessary Federal Communications Commission approval to unleash it on the nation’s airwaves. Wired

Steve Jobs and the economics of elitism The more, the better. That's the fashionable recipe for nurturing new ideas these days. It emphasizes a kind of Internet-era egalitarianism that celebrates the "wisdom of the crowd" and "open innovation." Assemble all the contributions in the digital suggestion box, we're told in books and academic research, and the result will be collective intelligence. NYTimes

Google phasing out support for IE 6.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 2.0 Google says it will cease fully supporting Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 for its Google Docs and Google Sites applications on March 1. This deadline also applies to other older Web browser versions, including Mozilla Firefox 2.0, Apple Safari 2.0 and Google's own Chrome 3.0. eWeek

How regular movies are converted to 3D Now that Avatar is officially the highest grossing movie of all time, it's inevitable that studios will continue to push 3D as the new frontier of cinema. But actually filming in 3D is prohibitively expensive. Here's how they fake it. Gizmodo

Permalink to story.

Steven Jobs calling Adobe (or any other entity for that matter) . . . "lazy", doesn't even pass the laugh test. Coming from a guy who just released the IPad, an extremely limited device that appears to fill some supposed gap that for the most part . . . doesn't exist!

This so-called computer tablet of sorts can't do any multitasking, has no CD/DVD drive and not even a USB port. In short, the list of things it "can't" do is far greater than what it can do. All this coming from a guy who's calling another company "lazy"?. Get a clue Steve.

Why in the hell do you plan to release a tablet that costs under 300$ to produce with a price tag of 500$? I hope that a much cheaper tablet from a rival will win this year.
BTW i also think adobe is lazy. They make many useful products, but they always have bugs and problems that takes them a hell of a lot of time to fix and some are never fixed.

Apple make all there products in sweat shop like enviroments. SOURCE: (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124827762524772555.html) and then Charge like $200+ above the manufacture cost. They call the Ipad ''affordable'' TO WHO! I certainly will not be buying one. Its pretty mean the way they operate, anyone who buys there products is an ideot, or has money to burn. The apple name is not worth paying extra for. (PLZ do not flame my opinion.)

Also as sales of the iPad pick up from Apple's loyal fanboy base their manufacturing costs are going to decrease significantly, and somehow I doubt that saving will be passed on to the consumer.

steve needs to get an effing clue. all of apples stuf is incredibly over priced. getting a 50 ptofit margin?! that is just greed in one of its worst forms. this is why noone buys apple. and i hope all of you will boycott apple and its loudmouth ***** CEO.

Well, I have mixed emotions. Steve-o tends to mouth off when he gets excited, and goes a little too negative on things that people point out as weaknesses in his beloved products. Doesn't mean the guy isn't smart, it just means he has a pretty weak brain-to-mouth filter.

As for the comments about cost vs. sale price... The people saying this is a ridiculous profit margin are way off. Yah, you can look at cost of hardware, with a ridiculous $10 entry for the entire manufacturing process labor costs? What about the initial development costs? Well, it's just a bigger iPod Touch, but still, lots of research into processor, touch screen to use, developing the case, integration, circuit board designs... And, what about the costs to develop and build the manufacturing process itself? And the manufacturing facility overhead? Those "how much it costs to make" posts are often skewed sensational crap that ignore all of the myriad of bottom-line considerations that eat away at profit margins, particularly on brand new products with big up-front costs to defray.

Yes, they'll make a decent profit in the end, but they always do, and it's why they are still in business after so many industry experts said they'd never last. They're smart, and it's a business - profit is life. I still don't care for Apple, but I can at least respect that they are doing their best to keep their shareholders happy.

I will continue 25 years of computer ownership WITHOUT ever having an Apple for more than just the ridiculous initial cost, but lacking of vast choice software wise as well.
I am not super sweet on Windows that much, but at least the programs I want are there.

Don't forget though, primarily Apple is a hardware company and Microsoft is a software company first, hardware second.

Steve Jobs: Google's 'don't be evil' bantra is 'bullshit,' Adobe is lazy
Adobe >> IS << lazy..! It has to do with their corporate policy of not really updating base code, but simply "kluging" more and more program modules on top of it. Photoshop Elements 8 (!) is now a 1GB+ download. But I haven't the faintest idea what that has to do with, or why it was included in Job's rant.

But, perhaps more importantly Adobe is greedy, and you'd think that that would give them automatic inclusion to the "Apple good ol' boys club".

Adobe >> IS << lazy..! It has to do with their corporate policy of not really updating base code, but simply "kluging" more and more program modules on top of it.

Ya beat me to it Cap. Adobe is as lazy as Porsche's design dept. If you have downloaded and used the entire creative suite, you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back