TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: EA sneaks SecuROM in Dragon Age II

By Matthew
Mar 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. EA fails to disclose SecuROM in Dragon Age II Those of you who know me, know that I love Dragon Age: Origins and the Dragon Age universe. You also know that I loathe DRM, especially SecuRom. You can imagine how dismayed I was when I read a Reclaim Your Game report today revealing that despite not disclosing the fact anywhere on the game packing or even in the 28-page EULA, disc-based copies of Dragon Age II contain the destructive, intrusive DRM known as SecuRom. Vivid Gamer

Read the whole story

2. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

DA2 seems to be off to real rocky start. First that guy who made a snarky comment on the forums who then couldn't play his game, and now SecuRom being installed without prior notification.

Wasn't it just a couple days ago that EA said it would renew its focus on the PC platform? Great head start there, guys.

3. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Well enjoy the lawsuits EA. You were ordered to inform consumers of when a product uses securom and you failed to comply.

4. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

SecuROM made me go PIRATE. Being totally honest; the limitations of SecuROM is just too much for me (and many I know). We never copied anything, we never downloaded anything. And then SecuROM came and totally wrecked the party...

5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

I'm ignorant about SecuRom, what is it about it that is apparently more objectionable than other DRM's? is it the five machine/install limit?
    come to think of it, is this the DRM that lead to the Crysis "de-authorization" tool?

6. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

Haven't they lost enough over SecuROM to know better? Well, there's me actively refusing to buy DA2 until they strip SecuROM from it.

The best part is, a Bioware rep actively said DA2 would not use SecuROM.

7. There is no SecuROM in Dragon Age 2, it's a load of BS and bad journalism. Get your facts straight Matthew DeCarlo.

8. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

It's actually coming from Vivid Gamer. This is just an article linking to other news around the web. So if the info on DAII is wrong it is Vivid Gamer's fault.

9. princeton

I love how to try and make your insult towards him personal you took the time to COPY and PASTE his name. I'm sure your insult means so much more when you didn't even know who you were supposed to be insulting.

10. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,553   +18

For those too lazy to google...

According to BioWare, the SecuROM alarm bells sounded due to a another Sony-branded DRM measure, Release Control.

Because the two pieces of software use similar library files, various folders bearing the SecuROM name appeared on computers. These files can be removed without problems. Further details can be found here - .

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4921/showhome/true

11. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 687   +48

Dragon age 2 is already up and playable on torrent sites so this will only hurt those who payed for it..good job! I loved dragon age 1, but read somewhere that someone beat Dragon age 2 in 1 day and was discouraged from getting it.

12. princeton

I still won't trust anything from sony after when I had to reformat my computer after ripping a music CD.

They could have easily changed the name of those folders, there's a reason they didn't.

13. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

@BF3
    They're right, the FPS genre and their main competition has been pretty stagnant over the years. I hope they can deliver a serious next generation leap in graphics/gameplay that us PC gamers can enjoy for years to come.

@DA2
    Even though this SecuROM release control isn't the same SecuROM we all know and despise, it is still shameful of them to not disclose it fully. I'm guessing they feared any mention of something related to SecuROM would anger some and decided it was best to not mention it which in my book is even worse.

I don't understand why they had to change things from DA Origins to begin with as it worked perfectly.

Matthew is simply posting hot trending tech topics from this weekend, he isn't actually the author of any of them. Maybe you should learn to get your facts straight.

14. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 849   +11

Not very reassured by the information on EA's website linked by B00kWyrm. Can't bring myself to trust EA.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.