TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: EA's user agreement forbids lawsuits

By Matthew
Sep 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. EA's new user agreement bans lawsuits Electronic Arts has updated its Terms of Service Agreement for the Origin platform. Following Sony's lead, and taking it even further, EA has added a…

Read the whole story

2. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +58

Everyone is following Sony, except you can't legally forbid a lawsuit. The courts will handle that and more often than not you are going to find yourself in a legal battle.

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Oh EA. You're so silly.

In any case, I'm not installing Origin on my computer. I really don't want to do any business with EA under any circumstances. If that means I miss out on a game, so be it.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

"And yet they wonder why so many people pirate their games."

Oh, I see - millions of illegal downloads and only after this clause is put in their EULA, it's "NO WONDER we stole from you!" What a ******* thing to say...

5. no, the point is scummy moves in general by publishers causes people to pirate it. for instance, ubisoft's Always-on DRM was poor, and still didn't prevent people pirating it. Some people even had to buy it then pirate it so they could play offline.

6. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

EA's new user agreement bans lawsuits.

I remember that in one episode of South Park the fatty promised to be a slave if he lost a bet, but since the Real Law forbids slavery that bet was illegal and was disbanded due to.. well being ilegal even if they sign papers.

Its like a prostitute telling police on a man who didn't paid =D

7. TomSEA... what you do think is the result if the pirates have a more convenient and less intrusive distribution model than the producer?

8. @Cota
    Thats why pimps exist to beat the living **** out of you and then rob you if you don't pay. No police needed.

9. who cares what TomSea says. he thinks headphones with just okay bass are best suited for bass heavy music genres.

10. awwww, one less person greedy people can sue

11. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 446   +17

Most of this is all at least a week old - where on Earth is TS getting their news from :S…

12. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

Eh pino its weekend reading ^^.

@EA news if you don't like it don't buy there product.

@lulsec thing, i thought those guys created there own protection er something, guess there not as untouchable as I thought

13. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 267

But EA's move doesn't punish the pirates. Just us legitimate customers. The user data collection move irked me, and now they introduce this clause? Are EA purposefully trying to drive people to abandon their service, and products? They've certainly driven this legit customer away. I won't use Origin anymore. I'm taking my money elsewhere.

14. This isn't a plan to get the pirating to stop, there's no way EA by themselves can stop this.

This is a plan to gain lost profits. First they charge online passes to be able to play online. Then they buy cheaper servers, Cut back on the new production games quality, then they add to their EULA that you cant sue them.

Prepare for Battlefield 3 to look like minecraft

15. Seems like we should be suing EA for taking away our rights if we sign the EULA.

16. Congratulations - you "get it"...

This type of DRM and legals has nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with deterring the casual reuse of a software licence on another machine. This is why "content delivery systems" exist, because games developers/publishers really do not want to give you an old fashioned disc. There is still nothing they can do about piracy - every game still gets cracked and distributed illegally. You went out and paid for it, so why should you have to jump through hoops and prove you're not a thief just to run a game? It beggars belief, but gamers still lie down, take it and hand over their cash.

17. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

18. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Yeah...No.

19. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

This is why people should check the TOS and privacy policy... :p