TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Facebook to buy Opera for its own browser?

By Matthew
May 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Is Facebook about to buy Opera to create own Facebook browser? A Facebook browser that would allow you keep up to date with your social life from in-built plug-ins and features...

Read the whole story
  2. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 324   +38

God damnit Facebook. Stop buying things and making them crap!
  3. The day FB buys Opera is the day it will be lost to me forever. Zuckerberg as his cronnies have proven time and time again that they cant be trusted.
  4. Too bad, Opera is currently the greatest browser and my now personal favorite. I don't know which browser could possibly replace it. Maybe FF? Sigh...
  5. Perhaps Zuck won't use it as a browser, instead, a watered-down version of Opera mini could be converted into a standalone 'Facebook only' app. Think outside the box guys!
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,490   +292

Hopefully whatever FB does with it for their own interests, is separated from Opera's standalone PC/Mac/Linux/BSD browser. I may have to give up Opera and jump ship to Chrome if FB messes with the Opera I've used and loved since about 1999.
  7. help! I have problems on youtube with my opera and I dont think is flash fault.
  8. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

exactly.
  9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,826   +1,436

SNGX1275 red1776

I was thinking the same thing.
  10. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

I know to each his/her own, but having used both browsers, what you are saying sounds as if making such a move would be something painful, when it is the very opposite.

Again, to each his own. ;)

And didn't the Flock browser try to do something similar and failed miserably? I mean, I can see how a Facebook toolbar/add-on would work--as I'm sure there are a few in both Chrome and Firefox--but an entire browser specifically designed and dedicated to bring you Facebook content? To me that sounds like overkill. And also that Facebook really has no idea what to do with its money.
  11. I'm a Firefox user, but Opera is a good browser and Facebook would surely change everything about it. Of course it would bring countless new users being advertised on Facebook... and Facebook users would eat it up. Just like Google users with Chrome. Great advertising always wins.

12. Goodbye Opera, you have always been my favorite browser but I have to say I suspect that won't last much longer.
  13. Should I uninstall Opera from now? 51 percent of the time capitalism is a pain in my arse. Big fish always wants to eat the little fish.
  14. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

LOL, that was pretty funny if it was intentional.
  15. The Opera browser is one of the very best. The developer tools are incredible. If Facebook buy the Opera browser I will be uninstalling it, permanently, as in forever, never to look back again. I hope the people at Opera consider how destructive a move this could be for the wonderful browser.
  16. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

I wouldn't want to see it go but in all reality, not many people would miss it. Not many use it, as fast and as complex as it is. For me it's the damn complexity that kills me. Way too many things that I don't need and not enough things that I do need. If you could put Firefox and Opera together you'd end up with a great browser.

Anyways, not sure why Facebook needs a browser. What would they do with it?
  17. The same reason that google have a browser...
    From the linked article:
    Which is exactly what google chrome is all about.

If Opera Software sell up to Faecebook, which is very likely, you are seeing the biggest disadvantage that a program like Opera has over Firefox or even chrome/chromium - it's closed source proprietary software. No one can make a fork of Opera, if it gets sold off - there's not a damn thing you can do about it except to accept it and continue to use it or switch to something else.

From my perspective, this is not that fantastic, but I'll believe it when I see it actually happening, rather than taking rumours in tech press articles as fact.
  18. FB doesn't need a desktop browser, though they no doubt would like to tie in their services like google has with chrome. No FB want a mobile/smart phone browser and in my experience opera is the best browser for smart phones.
  19. The day I hear that FB acquires Opera, Opera will be UN INSTALLED from my system, sad
  20. yea lets sell an awesome browser to a company who is sued every week, great idea. *****s
  21. SOB, I actually liked that browser!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.